Research War on Affirmative Action

With the U.S. Supreme Court about to hear arguments in a case that could decide the fate of affirmative action in admissions, a research war has broken out. Defenders and critics of the consideration of race are releasing new studies (some of which were submitted in briefs to the court) on the impact of affirmative action.
Several studies presented Friday at the Brookings Institution suggested that eliminating the consideration of race would not have as dramatic an effect on minority students as some believe, and that the beneficiaries of affirmative action may in fact achieve less academic success than they would otherwise. The studies were criticized by some present for being one-sided.

Read more: New research questions assumptions of defenders of affirmative action | Inside Higher Ed

I have never understood affirmative action. Here we are years later and what do I see? I see tests being dumbed down to get unqualified people in who still can not go the distance in education. This befuddles me in that both black and white usually go to the same schools and see the same stuff but what is a critical factor is culture and behavior which denies some blacks from getting ahead. This can also be said about some whites who do the same thing then complain they are locked out of certain fields.

Even around here, I see allegations of racial tensions with blacks complaining they are excluded. A couple of years ago there was a write up in the local rag in which one particular student stood out. She was in high school with a 4.0 average but commented how abused she was.

The fact is when going for a job or getting ahead one must have certain attributes that will make you desirable to an employer. Going into a job interview with your pants hanging down, full of tatooes, cursing, and other frowned upon behaviors will turn off most prospective employers.