Romney To Blast Trump

It has been announced that Mitt Romney will be addressing the American people at 11:30 ET this morning. It is being reported he intends to blast Donald Trump.

A few points:

I am no big fan of Donald Trump.

Romney has a right to speak and to speak his mind.

Voters have an opportunity and right to give his words importance or not.

That said, I find it mind-blowingly ironic that the GOP would put forth Mitt Romney to make a frantic/panic laden appeal to reject Trump - Romney, the weak, failed Republican candidate in 2012 whose lack of conservatism and lackluster run is largely responsible for producing the anger that has given rise to candidate Donald Trump.

Apparently it has not occurred to the Party idiots that Romney’s opposition to Trump will only serve to further seal Trump’s nomination. It also seems to be lost on the GOP that people are fed up with having the Party place its thumb on the scales of a primary race.

And the beat goes on.

My thoughts exactly. It is as if they want Trump to win. What makes them think we will listen to Romney? You know the guy we didn’t vote for last time!!!

Answer: Because they are Beltway Lizards who spend their day talking among themselves, and they are now in full panic mode over the Frankenstein of their own creation. Romney being pushed in front of the podium by the GOP serves to signal they continue in their failure to understand what’s behind the fallout they themselves have created. In other words, they are stupid. PERIOD.

You’re right, Mike. It only gets more obvious by the day that the Beltway Lizards - who nothing outside the Beltway touches - really don’t, or refuse - to ‘get’ it. All they do is sit around making strategies for how to overcome obstacles so as to retain their power. It doesn’t even OCCUR to them that THEY is what the problem is. How could it be? After all, they are the ones who have been running things, and we minions don’t have a clue as to what goes into all that “work” they do.

But this latest strategy of putting Romney out there so their now very weak candidate doesn’t have to say mean things, is baffling it’s so stupid.
“Yeah! Let’s pick a total LOSER to help our guy win! There’s the ticket!”

But I am having fun watching them fall apart.

I watched the entire speech…and it was pretty good. However, I suspect it’ll have little effect on the nominating process. He spoke the TRUTH about Trump, in my not-so-humble opinion. Whether it’ll matter remains to be seen.

If there is one thing I am thankful to Trump for, it is showing everyone how disconnected the GOP really is to the rest of America. They are so far removed from their base it is pathetic.

It is absolutely amazing how insulting the GOP is… To think that Mitt Romney could be the establishments voice of truth and reason is insulting. Watch Romneys glowing support of Trump in 2012, when Trump endorsed Romney. Comical! Regardless of who you support, the GOP is disregarding the voice of American voters and trying to manipulate the American people to choose any candidate, other than the one they cant control. If the Super Pacs spent as much money portraying Hillary Clinton for who she is, rather than selectively playing hit man against individual GOP candidates that the Washington establishment wants to hand pick, it would be game over. I can only hope that their tactics blow up in their face and they realize that TRUE POWER is in our hands as individuals, not theirs as manipulators.

2cent - I obviously misread/mistook your position on Trump/Cruz in my rant of yesterday. It seems I jumped to a conclusion about you that was not in evidence. I sincerely apologize to you. Sorry.

I just heard the total opposite. People screaming mad at what a complete ‘a–hole’ Romney just made of himself, and the whole RNC.

BUT I MISSED the speech, so will have to wait until I can to make my own assessment.

He(MDMike) might be biased, I supposed.

Thank you. Mike, I truly am trying my level best to look at both Cruz and Trump as objectively as possible.
I see qualities and flaws in each of them.

I don’t find Trump supporters to be entirely wrong, nor as giving up their conservatism. For them, theirs is a protest vote against the machine that has been running roughshod over them for decades, and strongly believe that it’s high time the RNC got the message.
How can anyone disrespect that?

I don’t find Cruz supporters to be totally wrong, either. Cruz is a man who stood alone, and defended the Constitution over much oppostion.
Can’t disrespect that, either.

The only thing that bugs me is when either camp refuses to accept the flaws of their ‘favored guy’, and they DO have them.

No one can fault you for examining the candidates.

Willard, dude, you failed. Miserably.

Go back to your hole, you loser.

Sincerely,
DN

I have my concerns about Trump regarding who he is and what he really believes and understanding that attempting to predict how he would govern with any significant degree of confidence is impossible, as he can deny today what he publically stated yesterday - I think that’s called lying in Texas and Oklahoma. I’ve been abundantly clear about these concerns - so clear and blunt, in fact, that I have pissed off virtually every Trumpster on this site. So, moving right along . . .

In my opinion, Romney was so NOT the messenger to speak on the subject of Trump this morning. Frankly, He raised some good points - some of them reasons to question Trump’s integrity, veracity and character.

However, as I listened to Romney I kept asking myself, why in hell didn’t he go after Obama in 2012 like he went after Trump this morning?

For that matter, why haven’t the other Republican candidates gone after Trump like Romney did this morning? Perhaps because Trump would do what Trump is best at - reply with some outrageous comments, thus ensuring he captures the news cycle for several days - result, they would lose more ground. But, I digress.

At the end of the day I’ll pass on Trump. Not because he is lacking in leadership ability - far from it - but because I do not have a strong sense of where he would lead us.

I can only echo what others have said here. I heard on the news where Romney referred to Trump as a “fraud and a phony.” I agree, but it’s rich coming from a textbook example of a RINO.

MDMikeB

I have my concerns about Trump regarding who he is and what he really believes and understanding that attempting to predict how he would govern with any significant degree of confidence is impossible, as he can deny today what he publically stated yesterday - I think that’s called lying in Texas and Oklahoma. I’ve been abundantly clear about these concerns - so clear and blunt, in fact, that I have pissed off virtually every Trumpster on this site. So, moving right along . .
.Don’t be too quick to pat yourself on the back. We were cheesed off long before you came along. Your PERSONAL attacks are what I am reacting to.

In my opinion, Romney was so NOT the messenger to speak on the subject of Trump this morning. Frankly, He raised some good points - some of them reasons to question Trump’s integrity, veracity and character.

Well la de da. Romney is a loser. He’s a milquetoast. He is marching to the RNC beat, afraid to buck the system. Typical politician. He made me want Trump, even more.

However, as I listened to Romney I kept asking myself, why in hell didn’t he go after Obama in 2012 like he went after Trump this morning?

Cause he’s a pansy. He didn’t want to be labeled a racist. He’s an idiot. He didn’t really want to be President.

For that matter, why haven’t the other Republican candidates gone after Trump like Romney did this morning? Perhaps because Trump would do what Trump is best at - reply with some outrageous comments, thus ensuring he captures the news cycle for several days - result, they would lose more ground. But, I digress.
Oh come on. You can surely figure this out with your extended education, and all. Come on Doc, are you really that lost?
They are not going after Trump, because he’s likely going to be President, and they don’t want him mad at them. Remember, They don’t care about anything but keeping their phoney baloney jobs. Their integrity takes a backseat to their benefits.

At the end of the day I’ll pass on Trump. Not because he is lacking in leadership ability - far from it - but because I do not have a strong sense of where he would lead us.

So, if Trump wins the Nom, will you vote for him in the General?

Tiny asks, If Trump is the nominee, will I vote for him in the general? For at least the 10th time in a month, the answer is:

Yes, but with a large dose of trepidation for reasons I have repeated ad nauseam. Trump is often a stranger to veracity and is lacking in consistent conservative principles and lacks predictability and likely can’t spell Constitution. But, with all that he’s better (hopefully/maybe/possibly) than what most certainly lies in wait on the other side of the ring.

I heard this speech live and could not take notes because I was driving, the following is what I remember.

Romney referred to great leaders of the past who rallied Americans together when things were dark in order to condemn Trump who is rallying for a divisive cause, then he cited leaders who led us through rough times when the threats were from other world leaders/nations; completely ignoring that our anger today is at OUR OWN GOVERNMENT who is acting against us.

Romney cited several lies about Trump (not renouncing the KKK, not being legitimately successful, not understanding China); Trump is wrong on China but his position is exactly the same as Romney’s. there were others I am forgetting but the point is the moment he regurgitated the lies he lost all credibility on the legitimate criticisms.

Romney had the gall to mention how Trumps tax plan would “balloon the deficit” as if the GOP who has been holding the purse for six years has not increased our debt faster than any time in our countries history. Romney still thinks the GOP has credibility on the issue of spending!

Romney refused to directly admit that he wants the Establishment Rubio but he cited the strategy of voting for whoever was second strongest in every State to keep Trump from amassing enough delegates to win; anyone with a brain knew that he was advocating letting the Establishment controlled convention use the lack of one candidate with enough delegates to take over the nominating process and pick their own shill.

Baffling that these idiots are this clueless about what the electorate is mad about, Romney basically gave a speech declaring that those who oppose Trump are doing so because they like the way the GOP has been operating and want it to continue; I would bet that Romney has no idea that he communicated that and most likely further solidified Trumps support and won Trump some new supporters as well.

I do NOT support Trump and I have seen some signs of hope that Cruz can make a fight out of this but this speech by the buffoon Romney probably just gave Trump 5 more points which will offset the 5 that Cruz probably just got by Carson admitting defeat.

Which is probably fine with Romney since he hates Cruz just as much, what a douche-bag. The only reason Romney gave this speech was because every elected Republican is scared to death to come out against Trump, they are cowards who know they will likely lose their seat if they rail against the outsiders; so they trot out a guy with nothing to lose to try their “idea”.

Moronic idea from GOP morons, same crap different day.

Romney strongly considered running in 2016. I could be wrong, but my guess is, this is his calculation to either run in 2020 again, or else become the wise old sage of the GOP, after Trump loses the general election.

Romney could argue, “I couldn’t beat Obama, but I could have beat Hilary!”. And the truth is, he’s probably right. Clinton is a weaker candidate than Obama, and Romney probably could beat her.

It’s a worthwhile gamble for Romney to take. He really has nothing to lose from this, and stands to gain something in return.

But even if Trump loses, I can’t imagine the same people who voted for Trump, turning right back around and nominating Mittens four years later.