Sam Donaldson: Many on Right Oppose Obama Because He's Black

A rusted racist at that.

I get called a racist every once in awhile, because I hate Somali’s (which is a country not a race). Once when traveling to Louisiana for a long assignment I got to know a bunch of the crew. I had one guy tell me that I should hang out with him on the weekend, He was having some of his friends over for a BBQ and we would get along great because I was a Conservative and they were in the KKK. I looked at him and said “You’re an idiot. My sir name is Hispanic and I’m Jewish. I am Conservative, not racist you i*$#&% moron”.

Did he try to bring you to a Ron Paul, or a David Duke rally? :howler:

I can’t say much on that. I was ticked off about how things were going in the middle east and spouted off about nuking the entrire area into a sheet of glass. Well, unknown to me the dude I was chatting with was Jewish. He asked “What about Israel?” I replied in rather salty language…" sucks to be them." It wasn’t that I was saying they should be taken out too, but it came across that way.

Ah well. Yes, we do have a strong Klan presence down here. Guess what? They don’t like me either. Catholics are only just a touch better than Jews to them. We’re still hate worthy, but not quite as much.

Had this black guy working for us. Most of our work keeps us about 50-60 miles north of here. Would NOT come to this area to work.
Do what? Huh? Ohhh….
Laughed ourselves silly, but he still refused.
(Well, ya gotta admit, it was kinda funny; considering so much of that stuff is based on rumour, but people will believe what they will, and 't’ain’t no convincing them otherwise…
…like Donaldson. wink/wink.)

Good point. Why does anyone care what that rusty old talking head has to say?

And he has been utterly racist to Obama since 2007, calling him a “halfrican American,”

But when Chris Rock refers to Obama’s white side, that’s OK? And are you sure of the source of “Halfrican American,” that it wasn’t a black person?

… a “magic negro”, …

The source for this nickname was a black person. So can you explain how it’s racism for Rush to say it, but not for the black person who originated the term?

… an “affirmative action candidate” …

Sit down, Caudi, you’re not going to like what I’m about to say. When you look at the government, community and business experience of the major parties’ Presidential and VP candidates, Obama easily had the least experience in any field, was easily the least qualified to be President of the US. Obama was picked by the Ds for two reasons - his race and his charisma, in that order. And his performance as President (and that of his MalAdministration) is reflective of his lack of qualifications and abilities. Barrack Obama was/is an Affirmative Action President.

… warning his white viewers that, “In Obama’s America, the white kids now get beat up with the black kids cheering,” …

Ummmmm … Caudi, you are aware that Rush Limbaugh’s TV show ended in 1996 … 12 years before Obama was elected POTUS, 8 years before Obama was elected US Senator, 6 years before Obama’s 2004 D Convention speech? Bit of an anachronism there … just saying. OTOH, if Rush was a guest on a show or being interviewed for a show, the show’s viewers would not be “his viewers”. Maybe you need a better source for your toss-off criticisms? One that doesn’t feed you such stupid mistakes? But as for the substance of the remark, regardless of whether the comment was made by Rush, Glenn, Sean, etc., that comment was either prophetic or bluntly stating the truth, depending on when the comment was made. Because white kids (and adults) getting beat up with the black kids (and adults) cheering (and doing the beating) has happened quite a bit these past 5 1/2 months or so.

Rush uses humor, uses hyperbole, mocks sacred cows, and is occasionally blunt. But he’s not a racist.

That’s funny, Pete. I would have thought you’d be aware of the fact that you can watch Limbaugh’s program on his website. No, he no longer has his TV show, but he does have viewers. And what I’ve said about him wasn’t fed to me by anyone other than the man himself. It’s just my opinion. He is a racist. Anyone who tells his viewers that Obama is out to make black kids beat up white kids and that his entire economic program comes down to “reparations” is at the very least a race-baiter. And I’ve seen and heard enough of Limbaugh to comfortably take the next step.

It happened on Limbaugh’s show and that’s as good as Limbaugh saying it himself. Saying, “A black person said it,” is the oldest excuse in the book. That’s what all racists do. They find some black guy to hide behind. John Derbyshire, the racist columnist who was fired from the National Review, gave that advice to all racists in his infamous “Talk” (around 5:30 - I like this video, you may not like the host but he presents it in a good way.):

Context is everything for racism.

Comedy? No. Comedy points out that idiocy in racism, at least with good comics. Some examples I can think of are Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Louis C.K. All these men make jokes about racism, not racist jokes. Big difference, but a subtle one.

Example:

A joke pointing out the advantages whites have. Notice the joke is about race, but isn’t racist. It is commentary on an issue, specifically how good white people have had it throughout history, the way good jokes are done. If it were instead saying white people dominate others or something like that, it would be racist. But that isn’t what it’s saying. It’s saying that, historically, whites have had it pretty good. Which is true, and not racist at all. And it isn’t just that he’s making fun of whites and not blacks. Many comics make jokes about difficulties of being black, and these aren’t racist either. Again, Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock come immediately to mind. Commentary ≠ racism.

And now, a racist joke. What commentary is this joke making? The only thing I can see is that black people are poor and steal from whites using welfare. Right off the bat, note that this joke does not commentate on welfare, but makes an assumption about blacks on welfare. Dave Chapelle tells very similar jokes, but his commentate on issues rather than simply inserting issues into his jokes.

Rush Limbaugh? Probably being racist, unless he was doing what comedians do and pointing out the idiocy of racism. Probably not though.

But let’s all ignore context. It’s fun.

Actually the Jeffersons’ theme played on Rush’s show as the Carol Moseley Braun update theme due to Moseley Braun being under investigation for $249,000 in unaccounted for campaign funds.

Also, Rush’s reference to the Crips and Bloods was along the lines of criminal activity, not race. It was also Al Sharpton who referred to Obama as a magic negro and Rush’s parody mocked Sharpton’s take, rather than in and of itself refer to Obama as such.

First, let’s look at what the term means. To be racist is to believe one race is genetically superior to others or one race or more is genetically inferior to others. I don’t see how anything Limbaugh ever said would reflect he believes his race is genetically superior to any other race. I believe Sam’s point is Mr. Snerdley is one of many black people Rush has a close relationship with, thus it is quite evident he does not have any ill feeling toward black people.

I thinkwhat happened was Caud copied and pasted his reply and when I posted my reply somehow I picked up the formating from his comment. I cleaned it up now. I have noticed that sometimes that the formatting does not show until the final post .

BTW I knew a couple of guys who used to copy and paste their replies on different sites.

Copying and pasting stuff from any web page will retain formatting that was in the original web page, and you won’t see it until you post what you excerpted. That little icon in the top left of the Quick Reply box (or, I assume, the regular Reply window) will strip out any hidden HTML or word processor format coding in text you have highlighted. Or the old-school method that works for discussion forum SW that lacks that feature is to paste the copied text into an ASCII text file and then copy the text from that file and paste that into Reply boxes or windows (I think I’ve been using that method for 10 or 11 years).

FWIW, RO is not the only News/Politics site that I frequent. Many of the articles I post here in thread OPs I have also posted on other sites, with the same or only slightly different comments.

Once when traveling to Louisiana for a long assignment I got to know a bunch of the crew. I had one guy tell me that I should hang out with him on the weekend, He was having some of his friends over for a BBQ and we would get along great because I was a Conservative and they were in the KKK. I looked at him and said “You’re an idiot. My sir name is Hispanic and I’m Jewish. I am Conservative, not racist you i*$#&% moron”.

:coffee_spray: Did the guy slink away or slither away? :coffee_spray:

Sometimes the racism is in the eye - or jaundiced eye - of the beholder. For example, the church in which I grew up was all white. I don’t remember my parents ever giving me an explicit lecture or instruction about race and racism … not verbally. Their casual conversation and their business and social doings taught me better than an hour-long weekly lecture. The all white church? 16 or 17 years before I was born was when they switched from German liturgy and preaching to English liturgy and preaching. Behavior speaks far more powerfully than words. And context sometimes reverses first impressions … if you bother to learn the context.

BTW, My son’s first encounter with racism was an interesting one, one that tested our family’s nearly 20 years of teaching - verbal and action. While working at a fast-food restaurant, a middle-aged black male tried to trick my son by saying he had paid for his order with a $20 rather than a $10. IOW, the guy was trying to steal $10. When my son didn’t fall for the trick, the guy accused my son of racism, to which my son retorted in a salty manner. The manager stepped in, gave the “customer” another $10 and sent my son home. The working relationship between my son (who was an assistant manager) and the manager was such that they both knew the cash drawer count would vindicate my son (as it did); my son knew that the manager’s actions were just the kind of @#$% stores and restaurants sometimes have to do. My son’s ire was toward the “customer” who pulled the race card on him, not toward his manager. And my son, thankfully, also realized that the problem was not one of skin color, but of the character of the racist “customer”.

I may have copied some of those quotes from a website but it’s not like I hadn’t heard of them before. I just don’t keep a convenient list of Limbaugh’s many racist tirades on my own computer and it’s much easier to find them documented online.

I believe Sam’s point is Mr. Snerdley is one of many black people Rush has a close relationship with, thus it is quite evident he does not have any ill feeling toward black people.

RW, Caudi understands sam’s point, but needs (for whatever reason) to deny it. Hence the race-traitor//Stockholm-Syndrome fall-back position. Maybe Klaus Nomi or the song “My Boy Lollipop” have had an effect on Caudi’s view of Rush? Of course, for that latter to be the case, Caudi would have had to actually listen to Rush enough to hear one of those Update themes (which are not used all that frequently). Caudi having spoken of “his viewers” makes that proposition doubtful.

And what Limbaugh said about Obama’s entire economic program being about “reparations” is basically the same thing that was said in that racist joke. The only difference is when Limbaugh said it, he was being totally serious.

First, there are racists in America of all colors. Second, there are two races of people - the good and the decent, and the bad, indecent, and evil people. Obviously, these races have nothing to do with black and white, rich and poor, etc. Third, if a black person correctly resents being lumped together with all criminals, why should a white person resent not being bunched together with racists?! The following thoughts originated from Viktor Frankl and Dennis Prager. Shame on Sam Donaldson.

Truth and reality are the two biggest racists in the world. They should be ignored.

I may have copied some of those quotes from a website but it’s not like I hadn’t heard of them before. I just don’t keep a convenient list of Limbaugh’s many racist tirades on my own computer and it’s much easier to find them documented online.

Caudi, to the best of my understanding, sam and Trekky were talking of something that had been in and later edited out of one of sam’s posts. I was merely chiming in with suggestions others would find helpful. I do appreciate, however, your confirmation of another website as your source for the claims against Rush. It gives context to the “his viewers” anachronism error. Maybe you should check up on claims made on sites like Media Matters or gay activism sites. Their perspective and hatreds make them susceptible to misunderstanding and worse with regard to people with whom they disagree. Putting it nicely …

sigh

His viewers was my own wording, actually. It’s not an anachronism. His show is viewable on his website and lots of people do, indeed, view it. He has viewers just like anyone with a daily 3-hour video webcast has viewers.

I only used the internet to research (familiar with the term?) a couple of the more obscure references I wasn’t familiar with out of hand.

Instead of attacking the messenger, why don’t you tell me how what Limbaugh said is not racism or, at the very least, race-baiting? How is it not, for a host to tell his viewers that Obama wants black kids to beat up white kids, and that his entire economic program is about reparations?

PeteS hello. Were you addressing my post? If you were, I want you to know that I don’t keep a list of quotes. The info that I shared was a result of reading a Dennis Prager book and a book by Viktor Frankl. That’s all. Thanks. Good to see you. God bless you. Mario

Sam Donaldson says something stupid? No news here…