SAT Scores Hit Four-Decade Low

The most recent Census Bureau data reveals that of the $3.2 trillion in total expenditures by state and local governments in 2012, public education accounted for the highest percent at nearly 28 percent,
California is home to what appears to be the most wasteful K-12 spenders. … 11 of California’s 16 most-populated cities score in the bottom 25 of U.S. cities on standard tests.
The worst performing cities have in common the very high percentages of households where English is not spoken as a first language. Research shows that the language barrier can have a disastrous effect on learning outcomes.

SAT Scores Hit Four-Decade Low

This goes to show that education is seriously undermined when students can not speak nor read english and in their place are bi-language classes that focus on other than english as a primary language.

Studies have shown these bi-language classes are counter productive and create more problems than they solve. Kids are coming out of school with out the necessary tools to make it in the real world.

2 Likes

Back in the late 19th century a family moved to the US from Norway. They had three children. Two more were born to them in the US. The wife and mother never learned to speak English because they always lived in small communities where their neighbors spoke Norwegian. The children didn’t learn English until they started to school. But they didn’t have classes in Norwegian, or “English as a second language.” It was all in English, and they learned it in a hurry, because they had no choice. The youngest of the older 3 was two years old when they came to the US. He studied chemistry in college, later studied music - he had been dabbling in it from childhood - and earned a doctorate in Music. He started his own music publication company, eventually sold it to a church publishing house, and remained the head of it until he retired. He spent several years as a pastor in his early adulthood, but later became fully involved in music. He wrote nearly 4000 hymns - and all of them it English! I know of one of them that was translated into Norwegian - but not by him.

2 Likes

It’s hard to know what the real test scores are, if they are averaged with the non-English speaking kids.

Doesn’t seem to have been a problem for all those boat people that came here after Viet Nam. Those kids became the valedictorians, and in a short amount of time.

2 Likes

Although I agree that areas where English is the secondary language, and in total agreement that ESL classes are a total waste of time and money, we cannot attribute the low scores to just this population. Kids from English-speaking homes may have a slightly higher academic ability, they still cannot spell, read comprehensively or analytically, formulate simple sentences, create a simple outline, write a simple paragraph, compute a simple mathematical problem without a calculator, understand scientific inquiry or concepts, or to find Canada on a map. Kids are not taught handwriting anymore. Common Core is simply more of the commie crap that’s indoctrinated into our children everyday since the 60’s. Each year, it gets worse. Shut them down. All of them.

:yeahthat:

At a lecture a few years ago Victor Shoup, an internationally renowned mathematician and cryptographer, remarked, in passing, that the mathematics needed to describe and understand most modern cryptography algorithms was essentially high school algebra. Or as he said, “at least high school algebra outside the US.” Our country is becoming an international joke.

1 Like

This reminds me of all the “boat people” that came after Viet Nam. Within a few years, it seemed like a very high number of high school Valedictorians were from Nam/Cambodia. I remember thinking how tough it must be to not only learn the language, but overcome the cultural differences, to accomplish so much in such a short amount of time.

1 Like

Perhaps that’s true for the norm. I took advanced classes 30 years ago in high school. My son is in advanced classes now. They are covering topics that I didn’t see until college.

1 Like

I can say that this is one group that came in and assimilated rather than wanting to make over this country. Mexicans come in and want to convert this country to the hell hole they came from. Islamists also want to make over the country.

1 Like

I had a couple of what would be called college prep courses in high school but from what I have been hearing and reading some of the courses in college are just plain nuts

2 Likes

Absolutely. I taught in a Chinese school in Chicago and I can tell you that Asian children and families work very, very hard to make their living in this country. AND, most of them would find financial aid an insult. They rely totally on family, both close and extended. It is not uncommon for Chinese families, including grandparents, aunts and uncles, living under one roof. One of the things that people don’t know about Asians is that education is second only to family in priority. In all my days at this school, I can’t recall a single instant where a student was disrespectful to a teacher or adult. That is because respect is integrally woven into their culture. It would be considered dishonorable for a child to insult an adult and would be seen as a black mark on the family. Nowadays, unfortunately, there are brasher elements in the Asian communities.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with all that. What it should show us, is that families, strong work ethics and respect for education and adults are all parts to raising successful kids.

This is sorely lacking in far too many homes today, and the results are self explanatory.

1 Like