School District Outlaws Depiction Of ‘ANY RELIGIOUS LEADER’

A school district superintendent in semi-rural Southern California has completely outlawed all drawings of all religious leaders on campus because a history teacher assigned a vocabulary worksheet that asked students to draw images of Muhammad.
Acton-Agua Dulce Unified School District superintendent Brent Woodard implemented the far-reaching ban after a single parent complained, reports the Los Angeles Daily News.
The seventh-grade history assignment at High Desert School in Acton, Calif. was a worksheet called “Vocabulary Pictures: The Rise of Islam.” It featured several words including Quran, Mecca, Bedouins and Muhammad. There was space for students to sketch their own images representing the various words.

Read more: Ban On ALL Religious Figure Art For Islam | The Daily Caller

What I do not understand is how any religion got into the curriculum. Attending public school I never had occasion where we were discussing religion. My suspicion is what is occurring in that the muslim faith is being discussed and children are being indoctrinated to be believers.

Stories keep popping up of muslim studies and requirement of the students to learn it and this is plain wrong and should be stopped.

At our school, they allowed a religious group to come in a couple of times, and present the gospel to the kids. Of course, that was in the forties. Now they won’t even allow the Gideons to give out Bibles.

As far as only one parent complaining, I bet that’s an understatement - unless the others were too timid to complain. I doubt that they’ve been allowing anything Christian in that school for a long time.

When I was in elementary school, we had Bible readings one period every day–and that was a PUBLIC school. For awhile, we even walked a block west and had those studies in a nearby Baptist Church! Oh, the HORROR! I’m certain I was scarred for life! Almost 67 years later and I STILL shudder at the very idea! Why just IMAGINE how warped my perspective must be as a result of learning about Adam, Noah, Moses, Jesus and those Gospel writers!

:dramaqueen:

Well, we always started the day - from elementary school up through high school - with a reading from the Bible, the Lord’s prayer, followed by the pledge to the flag. And this was a public school. There were a lot of unchurched kids, but nobody complained about it.

All I can say it obviously depended on the area one lived and what type of school When I attended Catholic schools we had both the pledge and religious stuff but going to public school we had just the pledge.

I was a little earlier than you. I graduated from high school in '54.

OK, how could a History class - American or World - avoid discussion and illustrations of figures such as Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Luther, the Wesleys, and many more than will come to my half-caffeinated mind? How can the history of the ME be discussed without discussing Islam? How can the history of Europe be discussed without discussing the Papacy, Islam, and the Reformation? How can the history of Plymouth, Massachusetts Bay, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Maryland colonies be discussed without discussing the relevant Christian groups that founded those colonies? How could the existence of Utah be mentioned without discussing Joseph, Brigham, and the Mormon Church?

This policy is moronic … though not particularly surprising.

I didn’t read the article carefully enough when I posted this. I still reserve judgment on the issue, though, not sure where the teacher is coming from.

Edit: Although the sweeping order from the school district is typical of our modern school system.