School May Drop Valedictorians over "Unhealthy Competition"

A public school district near Louisville, Kentucky has come down with a bad case of what I call “Participation Trophy Syndrome” – or PTS.
The Greater Clark County School Board in Jeffersonville, Indiana, is considering a plan to eliminate the valedictorian system because it creates “unhealthy competition,” according to Supt. Andrew Melin.

School May Drop Valedictorians over “Unhealthy Competition” - Todd Starnes

I am not sure how many people even worry about having someone do better than them. I am not saying people are not competitive but I think most try to do their best if they are interested in getting ahead.

I think is is more of the same I have encountered over the years with those who feel people have to be praised at all cost even for slacker behavior. As a side note when I worked fr the state caring for retarded individuals when ever there was a competition everyone won an award. One would expect that normal people should be able to deal with taking responsibility for their decisions and actions. This is a part of growing up and problem solving.

This goes by many names and is based upon a lowering of standards to the point everyone makes an A, the program is called Affirmative Action…it will prepare you for nothing but being a slave to the govt…

What is lost on so many, is that life is competition. When they enter the real world and workforce, do they believe the management and sales team will praise and reward everyone equally?

I worked at a place (an American corporation as it were) where a guy received a rolex and a big cheque for being top sales rep. in a major district in the U.S. Another person who didn’t work very hard or reach his quotas also received fair and equal compensation; a pink slip.

Imagine you could run the 100 metres in 10 seconds. Come track day as everyone lined up the sprinting coach asked you to slow down a second or two so that others could feel better about themselves. It defies the joy of life of competition, improving and being the best you can be. I have never judged someone for their inherited, innate skills or lackthereof. God made this decision for you. Everyone has something to offer in one way or another. What bothers me is actually punishing and telling those who can achieve their life goals that they need to slow down, or not be recognised where warranted.

What’s next? Maybe the Olympics will get rid of the medal system and give everyone handshakes for a great event. The World Cup will stop keeping score and just play the matches, every game ending in an artificially scored 0-0 draw. Whether you achieve or don’t achieve, there is no shame in seeing great performers being rewarded accordingly. If it becomes a competition about the best politician to influence their selection, I have no use for it, if it is based on merit and achievement, than it is an important aspect of life.

I can’t wait until the “everyone passes” concept makes it’s way up to medical degree level.