Sexualizing Children -- II

How can anyone not see that the Left is going to destroy society unless they are decisively stopped?

In Portland, the Sexual Revolution Starts in Kindergarten

The city’s public schools teach K-5 students to subvert the sexuality of “white colonizers” and begin exploring “the infinite gender spectrum.”

Christopher F. Rufo

July 27, 2022

Education The Social Order

Portland Public Schools has launched a war against the “gender binary” and adopted a radical new curriculum teaching students to subvert the sexuality of “white colonizers” and begin exploring “the infinite gender spectrum.”

I have obtained a cache of documents from a source inside Portland Public Schools that exposes the nature of this curriculum. The lessons seek to turn the principles of academic queer theory into an identity-formation program for elementary school students; it has been adopted in many of the district’s K-5 classrooms.

The premise is simple: privileged white heterosexuals have created an oppressive gender system in order to dominate racial and sexual minorities. As the curriculum explains, “gender is colonized,” and Western societies have used language to erase alternative sexualities. “When white European people colonized different places, they brought their own ideas about gender and sexuality,” the curriculum reads. “When the United States was colonized by white settlers, their views around gender were forced upon the people already living here. Hundreds of years later, how we think and talk about gender are still impacted by this shift.” (When reached for comment, Portland Public Schools wrote: “We make certain that our curriculum is LGBTQ+ inclusive for students who identify as transgender, gender non-conforming, gender-queer, and queer to create a safe and inclusive environment for all of our students.”)

The curriculum begins in kindergarten with an anatomy lesson featuring graphic drawings of children’s genitalia. The lesson avoids the terms “boy” and “girl” in favor of the gender-neutral variants “person with a penis” and “person with a vulva,” because, according to the curriculum, some girls can have penises and some boys can have vulvas. “Any gender and kid can have any type of body,” a related presentation reads.

In first and second grade, students are introduced to the key tenets of gender-identity theory. “Gender is something adults came up with to sort people into groups,” the curriculum states. “Many people think there are only two genders, girls and boys, but this is not true. There are many ways to be a boy, a girl, both or neither. Gender identity is about how you feel about yourself inside.” Next, students work through a lesson called “Our Names, Genders, and Pronouns.” The lesson tells them that “gender is like outer space because there are as many ways to be different genders as there are stars in the sky.” Students, the curriculum explains, can “change their name to match who they are, like their gender, culture, or just what they like better.” They can be “boys,” “girls,” “cisgender,” “transgender,” or “nonbinary,” and experiment with pronouns such as “they/them” and “ze/zir,” according to their personal preferences. “Only you can know what your gender is,” they are told.

In third through fifth grade, the district begins lessons on “LGBTQIA2S+” activism. The curriculum presents the categories of “man” and “woman” as manifestations of the “dominant culture” that has used sexual norms to oppress minorities. “The culture, systems, and assumptions that everyone is straight is called heteronormative. The culture, systems, and assumptions that everyone is cisgender is called cisnormative,” the curriculum claims. “Therefore, the culture, systems, and assumptions that everyone is straight and cis is called cisheteronormativity.” This system, according to the lesson plan, is a form of “oppression” designed to benefit “white straight cis boys” and to punish “LGBTQIA2S+” people.

The solution, according to Portland Public Schools, is to obliterate the “white colonizer” conception of sexuality, with its rigid male-female binary, and encourage students to inhabit “the infinite gender spectrum.” This means destroying the system of “cisheteronormativity” and promoting “queer” and “trans” identities. Teachers are told to eliminate the terms “girls and boys,” “ladies and gentlemen,” “mom and dad,” “Mrs. Mr., Miss,” and “boyfriend, girlfriend,” in favor of terms such as “people,” “folx,” “guardians,” “Mx.,” and “themfriend.” Students are shown photographs of “gender non-conforming” individuals and encouraged to celebrate the flags for “nonbinary,” “genderqueer,” “gender fluid,” and “Two-Spirit” identities. For some students, the subversion of the gender binary might also involve a gender transition. The curriculum provides a detailed explanation of how to “pause puberty” through “hormones and/or surgeries” and advice on adopting a “nonbinary” identity and set of pronouns.

By the end of fifth grade, the curriculum explicitly asks students to make a “commitment to change,” according to the dictates of gender ideology. Students receive a list of six commitments, including: “I commit to learning more about what LGBTQIA2S+ words mean and how they have changed over time”; “I commit to learning about the history and leadership of Black trans women”; “I commit to practicing pronouns and correcting myself EVERY time”; “I commit to attending QSA/GSA and being a leader at my school”; and “I commit to watching and reading books, movies, and TV shows that have LGBTQIA+ characters.” In other words, they commit to becoming political activists for queer theory and the broader sexual revolution.

This type of pedagogy is, astonishingly, becoming commonplace in public school systems across the United States. But there will be an endpoint. Queer theory is a fundamentally weak academic theory. As it becomes practice in public schools, it will begin to damage students, leading them through a series of broken promises, including, for some, disastrous hormone treatments and surgical procedures. Eventually, as parents understand the ideology and what it hopes to accomplish, they will revolt against it—a day that cannot come soon enough.

Christopher F. Rufo is a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a contributing editor of City Journal . Sign up for his newsletter here.

1 Like

For years, tolerance was the goal toward what many had long labeled, “sexual deviancy.” As long as you did not hurt childhood development or other adults, what you did in private was your home was your business.

Now the extreme left, perhaps just the normal left, has gone after the children. This is where the line must be drawn. You can’t sexualize children and not hurt for your political movement. The time for playing nice with these sexual deviants is over. There seems to be no compromise or middle ground.

It will be interesting to see if the “progressives” on this board support this or say “to hell with the kids” in the name of party unity. Their probable response will be to ignore the issue and hope it doesn’t surface and do their movement political harm.

1 Like

A lot of ‘progressives’ don’t have children and don’t want them.
They may not realize how protective parents, even left-leaning ones, can be about their children.
I hope this provokes a furious backlash. We need to purge the teaching profession, and the teacher training colleges. Fire the Pervert Promoting Professors.
The Left no longer supports academic freedom. So why should we?
It’s war.

2 Likes

Any teacher who pushes a child to go transgender should be fired. Any person who pushes child to take hormone blockers should be prosecuted and sent to jail if found guilty. That is worse child abuse than striking them because it effects them for life.

1 Like

Responsible parents know that child are the future. Sexual deviants, who use children for their own pleasure, could care less about them.

The sexual deviants are taking the lead in the Democrat Party. You will know that they are in charge when sexual abuse of children has been decriminalized. This will probably start with non prosecutions by woke district attorneys. If this becomes acceptable, it will be followed by “reform legislation.”

1 Like

The problem is, the GOP politicians in office are acting in the same way they did fifty years ago. Most of them don’t understand what’s happening to this country.

We have got to stop being nice, being bi-partisan. Fire those teachers, and blacklist them if possible The same for the professors who taught them at the joke 'teacher training colleges/ ‘ed schools’. Implement teaching patriotism in the schools. By all means teach American history, and Western history, warts and all. So teach about imperialism, and about Prince Leopold’s horror-rule in the Belgian Congo. Then teach about what happened after the white people left: the descent into endemic violence and kleptocracy.

Promote learning about our heroes: all the Medal of Honor winners, of all colors. Contrast how minorities are treated in the USA, with how they are treated in India, with its horrific caste system; or China, with its concentration camps for their Turkic Muslims; or almost any African country, where murder and rape is an everyday occurrence for tribal minorities.

We’re in a war. The hard Left need to be treated like Nazi invaders – within the current constraints of the legal system. They’re not just enemies of America but of civilization itself.

1 Like

Yes, it is boiling down to a war now, but the young leftists are too brainwashed to know what these people are doing to us. If the leftists here read these messages at all, they will attack us as far right extremists. They don’t know what is at stake.

And it’s all because the sexually perverse need to get more converts.

1 Like

Yeah that. The sexual abuse I suffered from preschool age and into my teens messed up my head for life. It was beyond the pale when it happened in the late '60s through '80, but the left is trying to inflict a similar messing up of the head as a matter of routine.

1 Like

Get this book into every library you can … which will probably be none, but get it around:
Transing Our Children https://www.amazon.com/Transing-Children-Erin-Brewer-Ph-D/dp/B09FS72Q37

Approximately 17 of every 1,000 people are intersex and possess chromosomal and anatomical features of both males and females.

It’s not hard for me to imagine that gender isn’t just a physical but a state of mind that can also be confused. I also think it’s possible for people to have so-called “gender confusion” even without physical gender issues,

I also think it’s possible that children are affected by states of mind that make it hard for them to accept their gender. Society has, historically been pretty hard on people who didn’t conform to standard gender rolls.

So knowing all of this, the question is, are people who are born of physical and/ or mental conditions that result in people who do not conform to standard gender roles not be allowed to live their lives as who they feel they are?

Now, addressing the question of education on this topic. I genuinely understand some of the concern around how we handle this issue with children.

On the one hand we want children who are genuinely affected by a condition that makes them feel like they are something different than how society defines gender roles can be difficult. I read the slide show and I thought a lot of it was about making children who don’t have gender issues more understanding of those who do. That I can understand. Though I admit that the slides went beyond that into territory I thought inappropriate for children delving into social, political and cultural topics that are far, far beyond a K-5s students capacity to understand. Again, I think this is the radical lefts version of religion and “bible camp” for children, both attempt to indoctrinate children (as some of what I read in the sides was clearly indoctrination) before they have the critical faculties to address these issues critically, which is, of course, the point.

The part that I’m uncomfortable with is the possibility that parents/ doctors interfere or misdiagnose a child and encourage them to engage in mental or drug therapies to “fix” them. I’m just as against “religious reprogramming” of gay men to convince them they are straight. I make no distinction between the two and in both cases people see the gay and gender “confused” the way they want to see them and might try to convince them (the gay man to be straight or the non-gender confused child to consider that they are) to be something they are not.

I think only a professional can really diagnose these conditions, but the radical left and radically religious will prevent genuine diagnosis and will create turmoil, drama and problems where non-need exist.

There’s not much here I would disagree with. As I have pointed out to my fellow conservatives, one of our best thinkers, Deirdre McCloskey, started out life as a biological male, and made the transition many years ago.
https://www.humanprogress.org/get-to-know-board-member-deidre-mccloskey/

For people nearer my age than the latest generation, sexual transition people, and gay people – especially male homosexuals – can make us uncomfortable. It’s just how we were raised. In fact, although i have been an active supporter of Black civil rights since I was a child, I was raised in the South in the fifties, and still have reflexive uncomfortableness over certain situations. These things get engraved in your brain.

The problem today is the ‘woke’ insanity, which makes rational discussion of this issue very difficult. I don’t think anyone can read about the Portland Board of Education’s policy, and not feel that these people have gone off the deep end. (And remember that they were the ones to propagate the insane view – to Black children – that they were descendants of the ancient Egyptians, who had psionic powers. I kid you not.)

But maybe we’re coming out of it. Maybe genuine liberals – and old-fashioned Leftists – will find a spine and start pushing back against these people. There is some evidence that there may be a reaction setting in: