“Shoot to Wound” vs. “Shoot to Stop” vs. “Shoot to Kill.”

*On the issue of shooting to wound, that gains you absolutely nothing in terms of mitigating either criminal or civil liability. If you put a bullet in someone, you’ve shot them, deadly force, period. Shoot them in the leg or shoot them in the chest, from a legal liability perspective it’s all the same (the only variance is whether they die or not, obviously the consequences are more severe if they die, but a gunshot to the thigh can accomplish that quite as effectively as one to the chest).

*http://bearingarms.com/shoot-to-wound-vs-shoot-to-stop-vs-shoot-to-kill/

Interesting article as to facts vs liberal thinking. Personally I have my doubts to the allegation that in other countries they only shoot to wound in deadly situations. A wounded person can still fight and kill so it is foolish to just wound.

I don’t want to C&P it, but I just gave a detailed response to the topic in this thread (post #14): http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f47/hardworking-urban-artist-murdered-police-buying-shoes-mama-49497/#post751731

Unlike Hollywood soldiers have been shot multiple times as well as enemy combatants and they still fight. Only in Hollywood does someone get shot and is thrown back 20 feet. The Mythbusters even had a show on gun shots and their effects.

Also, drug-pumped perps can turn into bullet sponges.

Remember the A-team? Bullets flying everywhere, and not one of them ever even wounded.

I see the article was written by a Massachusetts lawyer - that figures.

I like what Justin Amash had to say: “Policing cannot be both risk-free and effective. Officers must be patient, put own lives at risk to responsibly manage dangerous situations.”

Police should not have any more rights or leniency than citizens do. If they wrongly kill someone, they should face the consequences. The purpose of policing is to protect citizens, not provide ultimate security to cops.

A lot of this could be solved by changing the mindset and training of police units. More Andy Taylor, less GI Joe.

Andy Taylor wouldn’t last a month under inner city conditions. And it’s not all inner city any more.

Maybe have two degrees of responses… initially shoot to wound, when all other options are tried, shoot to kill.

I suggested shoot to wound on another thread, but that suggestion is based on years of hearing cops being justified of killing a person who in hindsight wasn’t really a threat.

I mostly suggested what the person above said… Bigfoot says it’s the training, I think that’s the problem. But instead of going through the work of correcting individual state’s training happens… I think making a basic broad rules to force them to change the training is better.

But if someone has an idea on how to change the training so cops don’t immediately go for the kill, I’ll be happy.

I have to mention Tamir Rice… 12 year old boy who was shot within 2 seconds of the police arriving. He had a pellet gun. The person who called the cops mentioned that it might be a toy gun. Instead of being cautious, the police drove next to him and shot him. If they bothered to park a distance away and use their car as covered and told the kid over a mic to put the gun down, I’m sure he would have.

Those cops won’t be prosecuted and if a minority hold a toy gun, they can be shot by the police in Ohio. So we have this conflict where people want gun rights… but this kid doesn’t have the right to hold a toy gun

Only an utter moron would refuse to try and stop someone pointing a gun at them. THAT’s what gets so many police killed!

“Why didn’t you shoot the guy pointing a gun at you, officer?”
“I wanted to give him a chance to surrender, St. Peter. Why do you ask?”

Williams, go play with people your own age. This is old.

… or someone who is considerate. Not saying people should run in front of the gun and say SHOOT ME … but they can take cover to protect themselves…

Though on second thought, if a cop points a gun at me… am I justified to shoot them… since only a moron would refuse to stop someone pointing a gun at them…

But cops are a little above the law… which is the problem

… then put me on block and ignore me. or maybe i should do that since i’m under the impression you don’t want me to talk to you.

To me, it comes down to use of physical force, use of deadly force, and how one approaches situations. There is a huge difference between a selfless servant and a thug with a badge. I think various factors are causing more of the latter to exist.

Police have become militarized, they have become for-profit, and I don’t like any of it.

[quote=“Fantasy_Chaser, post:2, topic:48035”]
I don’t want to C&P it, but I just gave a detailed response to the topic in this thread (post #14): http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f47/hardworking-urban-artist-murdered-police-buying-shoes-mama-49497/#post751731
[/quote]So you don’t believe in equality of combat opportunities for those who oppose the police?

I believe that was one of the requirements given by one of the stars No good guys got shot nor did any bad guys and if there was a car wreak you always saw the occupant get out of the car unharmed.

[quote=“Susanna, post:8, topic:48035”]
Andy Taylor wouldn’t last a month under inner city conditions. And it’s not all inner city any more.
[/quote]I have to agree. In a small town where everyone knows each other and it being back years ago a police chief probably could act that way but not today nor in a larger city.

[quote=“JEWilliams, post:12, topic:48035”]
… or someone who is considerate. Not saying people should run in front of the gun and say SHOOT ME … but they can take cover to protect themselves…

Though on second thought, if a cop points a gun at me… am I justified to shoot them… since only a moron would refuse to stop someone pointing a gun at them…

But cops are a little above the law… which is the problem
[/quote] Again, you’re showing your complete ignorance. Just WHERE do you suppose a cop can go to “take cover” when he walks up to a car on a deserted street after stopping a perp? This isn’t the movieland wild west where the sheriff and perp face off on main street to see which one can draw and shoot the fastest. Your posts are moronic and I’m done here.

Simple solution, then. Next time someone robs you at gunpoint, call a lawyer–if you’re still breathing, of course.

Bigfoot, go do some ride alongs with an urban police force. Volunteer some time yourself. After you’ve seen a few arrests, or some shooting, come back and tell us about how it all could have been peachy keen if the officer had only shot to wound.