Sneaker tax? Illinois considers a 25-cent charge

Sneaker tax? Illinois considers a 25-cent charge
By Kurt Erickson

2/4/13

SPRINGFIELD— The cost of a new pair of basketball shoes could jump by 25 cents under a proposal floated this week by an Illinois lawmaker.

State Rep. Will Davis, D-Hazel Crest, wants to create a new tax that would generate an estimated $3 million annually for a youth job preparation program. He said the added cost would likely go unnoticed by most consumers, while helping finance a program for kids during tight budget times.

“Everywhere, funding is challenged,”Davis said. “I see it as a uniquely creative way of helping youth.”

Under the proposal, consumers buying any kind of athletic shoe would pay an extra 25 cents. Proceeds from the new tax would be earmarked for the state’s YouthBuild programs.

Stupid nickle-and-dimery like this help keep me convinced that, “Starve the beast,” is the right tax policy! This would just open the floodgates to countless, “25 cents won’t hurt anybody,” surtaxes. How long before a 50-cent surtax on iPhones and Android cell phones for the medical care of clueless texters who walked into light poles?!

Liberals would tax anything they deem as a luxury (just as long as they think they can avoid the tax themselves).

The highway Robbery sales tax here in Illinois is the reason why I buy as much stuff as I can on line.