snow cleanup was a budget protest

[LEFT]SelfishSanitation Departmentbosses from the snow-slammed outer boroughs ordered their drivers to snarl the blizzard cleanup to protest budget cuts – a disastrous move that turned streets into a minefield for emergency-services vehicles, The Post has learned.
Miles of roads stretching from as north as Whitestone, Queens, to the south shore of Staten Island still remained treacherously unplowed last night because of the shameless job action, several sources and a city lawmaker said, which was over a raft of demotions, attrition and budget cuts.
William Farrington[/LEFT]

[LEFT]“They sent a message to the rest of the city that these particular labor issues are more important,” said City Councilman Dan Halloran (R-Queens), who was visited yesterday by a group of guilt-ridden sanitation workers who confessed the shameless plot.
Halloran said he met with three plow workers from the Sanitation Department – and two Department of Transportation supervisors who were on loan – at his office after he was flooded with irate calls from constituents. [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Read more: Sanitation workers selfishly slowed down the cleanup - NYPOST.com
[/LEFT]
Looks like people from the union decided they were not going to work.

What a surprise.

Will they be held liable for the deaths and property damage that they caused?

While they may not have intended for these bad things to occur, it would seem that criminal negligence laws would apply.

It should be noted that the union has denied this claim. I hope this Council Critter can document the claim to the hilt. If he’s blowing smoke, he’s going to get smoked.

Union employees are loyal to no country or community of civilian’s, they see nothing but their own selfish desires through their evil eyes.

I do not doubt this story in the slightest, in fact I would be quite surprised if this strategy were not being employed by all Public Sector Unions in their respective arenas.

My street was in middle of being cleaned by the snow plow, but it got stuck, and it was towed away.

Please don’t paint with such a broad brush. I am a State Employee and I’m trying to get out of the Union ATM, along with many others. Regardless, most of those I work with put the traveling publics safety first when plowing. Many times over our own. You haven’t lived until you’ve stood in the middle of I-75 in a snowstorm trying to help a stranded motorist.

I can well imagine that! I remember a big pile-up on I-75 in a blizzard (near the Tipp City, OH exit), it was spotty white-out, and the on-coming traffic couldn’t see the pile-up ahead, and just made it a bigger pile-up. I didn’t see this, but I lived about 5 miles away at the time. A fire broke out, and people were trapped. It was really nasty.

It is a serious enough charge that it should be fully investigated. (remember that one>) If true, there should be firings, pay cuts, union restrictions and definitely jail time.

That is NY, all the politicians are in the Unions pockets, and they even have their own Political Party (Working Families Party).

I never meant to suggest that there are no exceptions, is that the standard?
Must there be 100 percent support for evil selfishness in order to mention it?

When I criticize and condemn Unions it is because the exceptions are so few and far between. Individuals within the Unions who want to abandon the current course/leadership to restore the reputation and dignity that these vocations once enjoyed are quite rare.

If you are suggesting that within some Public Employee Unions there exists a strong movement to reform things then I stand corrected. If there is a movement to attach job security to performance and salaries to market value then I would cheer such a movement.

What I see is a tiny number of Union employees who express these concerns and they are usually retired. I know that sometimes the services that are provided are quite necessary but that has never stopped an essential service Union from going on strike to hold the taxpayers hostage.

Teachers, Cops, Firemen and Garbage Men all willingly walk off the job and leave the public to fend for themselves when their Union tells them too. There may be some voices that expressed opposition to these strikes in the Union meeting where the vote was taken but they never seem to approach significant enough numbers to get the Union to concede.

It is not just public employee Unions, a Union roofing contractor will go on strike the day after he removes your old roof if he is told too. If the rain destroys everything you own it won’t matter one bit to him, neither will the fact that he agreed to work for that amount of money at the outset.

I am not saying that nobody ever gets helped by a Union worker or gets a decent job done by a Union worker. I am only saying that doing a good job or helping others is rarely a motivation that is anywhere near the top of a Union workers agenda.

I have been burned by striking Unions many, many times in many, many areas. As a result of that I would not entrust anything that I value in this world to a Unionized Public “Servant”.

How would I possibly know if the Union employee I was counting on was one of the very few who had greater sense of responsibility to his duty than too his own selfish Union agenda?

I am thankful for those who strive for integrity within Unions but I just don’t see evidence that they are having any influence in changing anything.

Don’t get me wrong, most unions stink on ice, which is why I’m trying to get out. There is a 30 day window, 60 days prior to the ratification of the new contract. Trouble is they screw around with the signing dates to the point that the window slips by. This time I’m starting to send the form in November and every 2 weeks another will follow until I get out.

You are correct in 99.99% of what you said RET, us .01 are being drowned out by the noise of the rest.

My father was one of those Union employee that believed being the member of a union meant providing the highest quality work and dedication to public safety. He was a lineman for the electric power utility. he was always called off to work in the worst of weather conditions. He did it because it had to be done. the fact that it was overtime was icing on the cake. Besided, there were times that he had to work around the clock when there was lots of power disruption.

Upon his retirement in 1996, he expressed concern to me about the younger union members. He said that they were giving themselves a bad name by using the union as a way not to work and provide quality service. He remembered when people were being hurt, maimed, or even killed to have the benefits that are taking for granted. He was correct.

I saw an article today that was talking about that the garbage had not been picked up in New York. I would say if the streets were not being ployed deliberately that is a side issue that is one result beside the people who could not work and the people who died because of what the union did.

I’m still wanting to be careful in making claims, but it seems there’s sufficient possibility of substance to this story that city officials are investigating it:

NYC Investigating Reports of Work Slowdown During Snow Removal
By Peter S. Green

Dec. 31 (Bloomberg) – New York City’s government watchdog agency is investigating reports that some Sanitation Department supervisors told workers not to clear snow during a post- Christmas blizzard that left some roads unplowed for three days.

“What we are looking at is whether there was intentional misconduct relating to the snow removal, whether or not there was a slowdown,” said Diane Struzzi, a spokeswoman for the Department of Investigation, an independent law-enforcement agency.

Meanwhile the New York Post is doubling down on its accusation:

Sanitation workers targeted specific neighborhoods
By SALLY GOLDENBERG, JOHN DOYLE and JOSH MARGOLIN
New York Post
Last Updated: 8:51 AM, December 31, 2010

The selfish Sanitation bosses who sabotaged the blizzard cleanup to fire a salvo at City Hall targeted politically connected and well-heeled neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn to get their twisted message across loud and clear, The Post has learned.

Their motives emerged yesterday as the city’s Department of Investigation admitted it began a probe earlier this week after hearing rumblings of a coordinated job action.

Sources told The Post several neighborhoods were on the workers’ hit list – including Borough Park and Dyker Heights in Brooklyn and Middle Village in Queens – because residents there have more money and their politicians carry big sticks.

Either some one is really feeding the NY Post and certain pols a humdinger of a line, or this has the potential to blow up (metaphorically) in some union thugs’ faces.

Hello is anybody reading my posts?

So anyway, NY is a city which is controlled by the Unions, and the Unions have power.

My father said that whole mess was because of management, and because of the unions. The city did all the wrong things, they should have sent out the snow plows earlier, put everybody on double shifts, and have the sanitation equipment, and vehicle out earlier.

Another big part of the Mess was the MTA, they should have sent out out the Diesel Cars into the tunnels, sent out the snowplow trains earlier, and put certain trains to just traverse the yards as if you were playing with toy trains.

No one is unaware that New York is a Communist/Union run city.

No one is arguing that the way this storm was handled was a failure on the part of the decision makers who coordinated the response.

We are discussing the motivation behind the decisions in how things were handled.

The accusation has been made that these poor decisions that resulted in an inadequate response were intentional, not just typical stupidity from typical Unionized management.

You are discussing a point that no one is arguing. We are not ignoring you, we just are not currently discussing that issue and we are not contesting your points.

The motivation was Money, and also because of the Idiot Unionists who think only about themselves, and not their civic duty. They should have declared a all hands on deck emergency, and said “get all your bottoms back” or do it by themselves, and call their friends within the DOS and said “let do the clean up even though our managers don’t want us to do it”. My fathers friend is the head of the fire departments Special Operations Command, that office controls the fire departments actions on NBC situations, and “Special Occasions”. Why that Tangent is connected because he was at one time the commander of “squad one” within the FD. Squad One is a separate department of the FDNY and it falls under SOC’s Command, and is to say a backup for the whole system.
NY is a fascinating city, It has 15,000 miles of road within the five boroughs aka to LA and Back. So in the end they will miss a few miles.

Sorry everybody, I am just a NYer who is used to this talk.