So THIS is What is Meant by, "Painfully Funny"

The government, in it’s iinfinite wisdom, decided to enact a law so that even druggies could get medical care without fear of reprisal for their actions.
It’s call the HIPAA Act. Here it is in a nutshell:

The Office for Civil Rights enforces the HIPAA Privacy Rule, which protects the privacy of individually identifiable health information; the HIPAA Security Rule, which sets national standards for the security of electronic protected health information; and the confidentiality provisions of the Patient Safety Rule, which protect identifiable information being used to analyze patient safety events and improve patient safety.

[Source: Dept. of Health and Human Services: Health Information Privacy]

NOW, the doctors, themselves, are asking law enforcement to make a law so that they CAN report a suspected crime:
And State Senator Key has the answer: (emphasis mine)

State Sen. Johnny Key of Mountain Home has filed legislation that would require health care providers to notify law enforcement authorities when they treat patients for burns that appear to be caused by criminal activity.

Bill compels reports on suspicious burns; Sponsored by Sen. Key - HarrisonDaily.com: News

Well, let’s face it, folks. It DOES make you wonder whether you’re supposed to laugh or cry.

Doctors and nurses (and school personnel too, BTW) have long been “mandatory reporters” when they see what they believe to be evidence of child abuse. IIRC, that goes back at least to the 1970s and is Federal law. Evidently HIPAA didn’t change that. But this proposal would apply to other areas, e.g. meth lab “workers” burned by their own processes.

I know. The HIPAA Act makes it against the law for docs to report a suspected crime. What went by me the first time, however, is that it is a federal law, and not just a State Law. Ergo, my mistake in thinking, “Why create a new law when all you have to do is repeal the old one?”
Obviously, a state can’t.
Still, while I don’t agree with COMPELLING doctors to report a crime, it’s incredibly STUPID to not ALLOW them to do so if they so choose.

Doctors are REQUIRED to report suspected child abuse. And even in cases where it’s highly improbable, they must to protect their own butts.
Same thing with gun shot wounds, only they don’t get to use any self-discrepancy there: EVERY gunshot wound MUST be reported - or stand the chance of losing your license. Not only does law enforcement insist upon seeing the wound, they insist upon seeing the firearm that caused the wound. It’s the law.
In both scenarios a crime could have been committed, but it’s left up to L.E. to decide.
How much sense does it make, then, NOT to be ALLOWED to report a suspected drug crime?
It’s just as much against the law shooting someone or beating up a child is.

Doctors are REQUIRED to report suspected child abuse. And even in cases where it’s highly improbable, they must to protect their own butts.

In principle, I think they are allowed some degree of discretion, but reality is that even if they have very reasonable reason for doubt, being wrong can get expensive.

Two things I think every parent should know:

1.) Doctors, nurses and school personnel are all mandatory reporters if they see possible evidence of child abuse;

2.) CPS/DSS social workers are government actors, and anything they observe - no matter how mistaken they may be - is evidence in potential cases of alleged child abuse or neglect.

Isn’t government just wonderful, secretly driving a concealed wedge between parents and healthcare givers and educators?

While I don’t agree with Brown Shirts running around reporting everyone, I reported a KNOWN case of child abuse to a principal - who already suspected child abuse - and NOTHING happened. Not so much as a visit.

2.) CPS/DSS social workers are government actors, and anything they observe - no matter how mistaken they may be - is evidence in potential cases of alleged child abuse or neglect.

Isn’t government just wonderful, secretly driving a concealed wedge between parents and healthcare givers and educators?

You’ll never find me claiming that CPS isn’t over-the-board stupid.
And, I might add, is one of the major reasons I quit listening to Dr. Laura. Anybody advocating running to CPS for every hang nail needs to have HER head examined.
STILL, I don’t think that doctors should be REQUIRED to report suspected drug use, but I do think they should be ALLOWED.
The HIPAA Act REQUIRES that they NOT do so.
All due to the great and wonderful Civil LIberties Union. :rolleyes: