Solar Industry Anxious Over Defective Panels

[COLOR=#000000]The solar panels covering a vast warehouse roof in the sun-soaked Inland Empire region east of Los Angeles were only two years into their expected 25-year life span when they began to fail.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]Coatings that protect the panels disintegrated while other defects caused two fires that took the system offline for two years, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenues.
It was not an isolated incident. Worldwide, testing labs, developers, financiers and insurers are reporting similar problems and say the $77 billion solar industry is facing a quality crisis just as solar panels are on the verge of widespread adoption.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/business/energy-environment/solar-powers-dark-side.html?_r=3&[/COLOR]**Ollie: ***Well, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten me into."
*[COLOR=#000000]
. This quote seems apt considering that this rush to have alternative energy sources was not well thought out as to quality of materials, market forces, and basically unreliability of the product.

Just as with the electric car there needs to be a lot more work done and the end result actually has to save money to be viable. Wind mills have suffered the same fate.

LAUREL AND HARDY! - www.patfullerton.com
[/COLOR]

From the article:

No one is sure how pervasive the problem is. There are no industrywide figures about defective solar panels. And when defects are discovered, confidentiality agreements often keep the manufacturer’s identity secret, making accountability in the industry all the more difficult.

But at stake are billions of dollars that have financed solar installations, from desert power plants to suburban rooftops, on the premise that solar panels will more than pay for themselves over a quarter century.

“We need to face up to the fact that corners are being cut,” said Conrad Burke, general manager for DuPont’s billion-dollar photovoltaic division, which supplies materials to solar manufacturers.

The solar developer Dissigno has had significant solar panel failures at several of its projects, according to Dave Williams, chief executive of the San Francisco-based company.

“I don’t want to be alarmist, but I think quality poses a long-term threat,” he said. “The quality across the board is harder to put your finger on now as materials in modules are changing every day and manufacturers are reluctant to share that information.”

Most of the concerns over quality center on China, home to the majority of the world’s solar panel manufacturing capacity.

Executives at companies that inspect Chinese factories on behalf of developers and financiers said that over the last 18 months they have found that even the most reputable companies are substituting cheaper, untested materials. Other brand-name manufacturers, they said, have shut down production lines and subcontracted the assembly of modules to smaller makers.

This is the utterly PREDICTABLE result of Enviro-Hype and government throwing vast quantities of $$ into a technology field that is not sufficiently mature for industrial-grade baseline usage!

Unlike wind and unlike all-electric cars, solar panels might get “there” in my lifetime, albeit for daytime hours’ peak usage only. I just drove through the Altamont Pass windmill farms area yesterday and Friday. Briefly and brutally, those rat-hole wastes of taxpayer and rate-payer $$ continue their predictable long-term rot.