SOMEbody Please Explain HOW this Could Happen:


#1

Just got off the phone w/my sister. She was taking the tea pot off the stove, and the oven - which wasn’t even on - EXPLODED!
The glass door BURST, and if she hadn’t turned away at that particular moment, dropped the teapot and ducked, she’d be covered in shrapnel.

HOW could that happen??!!!

If it’s of any significance, the range is 12 years old. Not all that old, but hadn’t been used very often at all.

*She told me that, after a million phone calls, she’s simply going to buy a new door, and have her friend put in on for her.
I told her she was nuts! Get a NEW RANGE.

Still, I want to know WHAT could make that happen!?

And wouldn’t YOU replace the entire range? Not just the door?


#2

electric or gas?


#3

THAT just occurred to me. (Prior to your asking, I mean.) Called. Didn’t pick up, so had to leave a message telling her that IF it’s gas (obviously, I don’t know) - she could very well have a gas leak, and get it checked, PRONTO.

But thanks for asking. Could be the problem.


#4

That was going to be my question as well. If it is electric, I have never heard of something like that happening but if it is gas…well it is possible it was a small pocket of gas that got ignited. Thank the Lord it wasn’t worse.


#5

If it isn’t a leak which something touched off, it could just be a defect in the glass which after 14 years and thousands of heat/cool cycles just gave way. The framing of the glass in the door could have put uneven stress on the glass leading to the eventual spontaneous failure. If there is no leak I would probably replace the door.


#6

Thanks, Seravee. Yes, thank the Lord it wasn’t worse. I wish I’d thought to ask if it was gas. I wish she’d call back.


#7

Well, replacing the door is what they’re doing. But considering how little that oven was used, whether gas or electric…?

(Not to knock my sister, but she does NOT cook. Rarely uses the oven. I’d be shocked if to hear she used the range top part for more than boiling water.)

I surely thank you both for your input, though. Hopefully a simple fix will fix it.


#8

It almost HAS to be gas. I’ve never heard, even remotely, about an electric coil EXPLODING. Shorting out? Sparking? Starting a fire? Certainly, but NEVER “exploding.”


#9

I’d say it’s a small leak in the line leading up to one of the burners that wasn’t in use. Replacing the range wouldn’t be required, so long as they can fix it, which shouldn’t be that expensive. She ought to shut the gas off in the meantime and not use the stove until it’s been inspected and repaired.
Then, yeah, the door can also be replaced, but it shouldn’t be used before they fix the leak.

But depending on what else exploded, it may not be repairable.


#10

Agreed.


#11

Me, either. I know she’s not stupid, but I wish she’d call back and reassure me that all’s a-okay.


#12

If it was gas she would smell it, especially after the explosion with the door no longer sealing the smell off; after the explosion the gas leak would continue until the line was shut off; also the burst of flame would not have gone unnoticed or the WHOOOOOMPH sound.

I think she just had a faulty installed glass in the door that finally gave up the ghost


#13

I’d have to hear more details, but I tend to agree with RET based on the available information. A gas (natural or propane) explosion sufficient to shatter the door glass would have a much more severe aftermath, in my experience.


#14

Come to think of it, I think you two are probably right. I forget that glass can sometimes do weird sh!t.


#15

Um, guess I’m glad I don’t have glass on my oven door. When I first got a stove without it, I missed it, but I don’t even think about it now.