Something amiss with PM's

There are PM’s that I KNOW were submitted properly, not getting to the recipients. It is NOT due to their inbox being full; nor hitting a ‘wrong’ supmit button.

There are PM’s that I am not receiving, not due to an overloaded “In” or “Out” box.

Not complaining; just a heads up for those who may be unaware, and might be able to do a ‘fix.’

I’ve got a question:

Again, not complaining, just asking…

WHY are there only so many messages allowed?
Is it a matter of clogging up bandwidth?

Just wondered the reason for keeping the ability to hold on to messages to such a low number.

What’s the limit on PM’s
The administrator sets the PM limit, it can be just a few or unlimited.

BTW, I sent you a test PM

The message limit is global, meaning every message in every box counts against the limit.

In my case the “Sent” folder fills up when I reply back to people so I have to remember to clean it out as well.

In the AdminCP go to Usergroups|Usergroup Manager and select a usergroup.
Scrawl down to Private Message Permissions
Under Maximum Stored Messages: you can enter a number of allowed PM’s unique to each usergroup.

I’m not aware of a global PM limit for the entire forum.
With that you’re depending on individual members, past, present, and future to delete their PM’s or completely lock out the PM feature.
That doesn’t make any sense.

By “global” I meant all the folders and boxes that a user has count toward the users limit, just cleaning out the Inbox may not get a user under their individual limit.

When I was on extra special probation for stating the truth about a liberal troll, my PM max got choked to 20 messages instead of 50. I guess that we can’t have truth tellers spreading the truth even on PMs unless they dump the ones that they have been saving.

I’ve been told that the limit is 25. Unless I keep it to under 20, I get “please clean out your PM’s” notices from folks trying to PM me.

But that isn’t to what I was referring. Even when I DO make sure I keep both the ‘in’ and ‘out’ box well under 20, (and the recipient of my ‘sent’ messages does, as well), the PM feature is not working as it should.

Thought admin/mods would like to know.

2cent, I’ll review and reply. Can you try pming me with: who you tried to pm but had problems with them receiving it, and when.

Reply here after you send me a pm - so I know.

I’m mostly afk for the next 9 hours, but will help after that.

1 Like

jk lol

Message sent just a moment ago.

Thanks, WIJG. I hope I’m not giving you pains.

Hahahaha. LMBO!

No worries. I received the message. Hold on while I look at non-obvious stuff because the obvious things all seem to be ok.

I’ll reply back in 12 hours or less.

By “global” I meant all the folders and boxes that a user has count toward the users limit, just cleaning out the Inbox may not get a user under their individual limit.

Are you saying there’s a grand total limit on the number of PM’s all users can send in the entire forum, call it 1,000?
When 100 member each reach 10 PM’s nobody can send a PM, even though the personal limit is 25 per member until enough members delete enough PM’s?

It doesn’t work that way, nor can an individual user be lowered from 50 to 20.

When I was on extra special probation for stating the truth about a liberal troll, my PM max got choked to 20 messages instead of 50. I guess that we can’t have truth tellers spreading the truth even on PMs unless they dump the ones that they have been saving.

Each usergroup is assigned a total number of allowed PM’s and there is no way to set a global maximum for the forum or even a usergroup, just the members of a usergroup.

From the help box in Private Message Permissions any specific spesific Usergroup.

Maximum Stored Messages
This permission determines how many private messages members of this group can have in their private message folders.
If a user reaches this limit then they will need to delete some PMs before they can receive anymore.

Same info here:
Change or Increase vBulletin Maximum Number of Total Allowed Private Messages (PM)
*vBulletin community forums set the default total maximum allowed private messages number to be stored on server for each user group to 50 upon installation. Private message or more commonly known simply as PM is an important channel for forum members to communicate with each other in private. Thus, maximum number of 50 PMs allowed to store by each users in private messages inbox and sent items combined is probably not enough for most active members. In this case, increasing the limit of stored PM allowed is the way to go.

vBulletin designs in such a way that administrator can set the maximum number of PM messages that each user in a particular usergroup are allowed to store in PM folders.** The value of the stored PM limit is not a global setting, thus you won’t be able to find any option to set the parameter in “vBulletin Options**”.

To change or increase or decrease the maximum number of stored PM allowed in vBulletin, go to AdminCP (Admin Control Panel). In the left pane, click on “Usergroup Manager” under “Usergroup” section. Then select “Edit Usergroup” in the drop down list and click on “Go” button next to the user group that you want to change to have more, or less PM storage space limit. A full options page for the usergroup selected will load. Scroll down to “Private Message Permissions” section. You will see “Maximum Stored Messages” option. By default, if never changed before, it will have the value of 50 in the text box. Increase or decrease the value to the number of PMs you want to allow members of this usergroup to store. Click on “Update” button at the bottom when done.*

I think this is a server issue, RO also has problems with image attachements, new member surveys, and maybe others.

Oh gosh, I hope you don’t see the horrible things I had to say about YOU!

I realize it’s not exactly best form to bring up the features of a different bb, but I must say that I do like the one that has a limitless storage capacity for PM’s.

However, that may be due to small membership, so the bandwidth is more than available for them to do so.

That is about the extent of my ‘geek’ knowledge, and I don’t even know if that’s anywhere near true.

No, please reread what you just quoted from me

I misused the term “global” originally and in this post I attempted to clarify that I meant ALL the PM’s that a specific user had in all of their folders.

Not site wide, just a collective count of every PM in all nested folders/labels for an individual user.

As an example, if I have 7 PM’s in my inbox and 15 replies in my sent folder that makes 22 PM’s that count toward my limit, deleting the contents of my inbox will only remove 7 PM’s from that count. All other saved PM’s count the same way so to clear up room I must go through all the folders and delete or consolidate the messages.

And I have never been able to get anywhere near 50 PM’s before the “box is full” error occurs.

It’s 50 total. Both inbox and outbox.

Sometimes I neither send nor receive messages for a long time, then all of a sudden there is a flurry of activity.

By “global” I meant all the folders and boxes that a user has count toward the users limit, just cleaning out [SUP] just [/SUP] the Inbox may not get a user under their individual limit".

OK, I see what your talking about.
Exactly right.

2cent, I can see no reason why the message was not sent. Perhaps, at the time you tried to send it, the receiver was over limit (perhaps) – that would have prevented delivery. If you still have it in your sent folder, try sending it again. Sorry for the trouble.

PMs are limited to 50 per member (as pointed out by others above). That is 50 in all folders the user has.

There are several reasons for this, let me quickly touch the most important one from my perspective:

1. each PM takes up hard drive space. If it were unlimited it’d be possible for RO’s server to run out of hard drive space simply by people sending 1000s and 1000s of PMs.

1a) The restriction keeps bad people, malicious people, from signing up to RO then sending 1000s of PMs to another account until they have effectively caused all the hard drive space on ROs server to be used up – causing the site to crash.

1b) hard drive space costs money, I’d rather that hard drive space on RO be spent on public forum posts since that is something everyone can (usually) benefit from.

Now, with that said, I do allow 1 group of members to have unlimited PMs. There is an option for users to support RO financially, and in return for any support, they receive the right to an unlimited PM box. Several members have contributed to RO over the last year, and it has helped keep the lights on. If you’re interested in an unlimited PM box, along with other perks, please check out this page: http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/payments.php (note, payments recur, but you can turn that off yourself. A single payment is all that is needed to become a lifetime supporter and enjoy the benefit of no PM limit). For $5 you can support RO’s running costs and enjoy unlimited PM messages.

2 Likes

Thank you, WIJG! I sincerely apologize for any aggravation I may have caused.

Again, your attention to this board is appreciated.