Squirrel Infestation

Our outdoor cat having died 2 or 3 years ago, our place is starting to get overrun by squirrels. They are doing damage to our home and garden. We live in the city, so BB guns or pellet rifles are out of the question. Catch-and-relocate seems a useless waste of effort. Any ideas? I’ve been thinking of trying rat traps, either the traditional spring type or sticky traps. Do either of those seem feasible? We’ve thought of getting another outdoor cat, but aren’t sure how to keep one from wandering off (and, of course, there’s the expense). Other ideas? I don’t love killing them, but do want to reduce the squirrel population, not inflict squirrels from my place on folks a mile or two away.

My best defense is my Rottweiler. He kills everything that comes in the yard.
I enjoy taking pot shots at the rabbits in my garden with a pellet rifle. They jump 4 ft high and start running way before they hit the ground. I don’t pump it enough to penetrate them,(2 pumps)I just bounce BBs off their butts. Priceless.

I think you should get another cat; there are so many out there who need homes…and to keep it from running away, make it a hybrid indoor/outdoor cat and take it in at night; that way, you can keep it dependent on your food. =)

I mean, if you really can’t…but kitties need homes, Pete. =(

What kind of squirrels? Grays are bigger, but reds are meaner. Not sure how much good a cat would be for dealing with them.

Yeah, my big dumb dog keeps everything that will run out of my yard.

[ATTACH]1257[/ATTACH]

He would not hurt a flea but he would chase it to the end of the earth.

He would not hurt a flea but he would chase it to the end of the earth.

Did he ever catch anything? Or is he too smart for that?

The squirrels are grays and blacks. I don’t think our late kitty ever caught any, but her presence was, I think, a deterrent. Even if I go with some sort of trap, having an outdoor kitty might be good for maintenance. We just worry about wandering. Are “fixed” females less prone to wandering than “fixed” males?

Our cat has caught baby squirrels & rabbits. Well, anyway, at least one of each.

He caught a cat once, or more accurately the cat fell off the fence while running away and landed between some stacked lumber and was stuck.

I kept hearing the dog barking (he has a VERY authoritative bark but never barks unless something is not right). I walked outside and this little cat’s bottom half was trapped and it was just staring at my dog. Every time the dog tried to get close the cat would swipe a paw and he would start barking, then try to sneak back close and it would repeat.

I freed the cat but by then the cat had figured out that the dog only wanted to chase it so it just walked away ignoring my dogs barking.

He did the same thing with a possum once, the possum kept playing dead whenever he barked so he finally got frustrated and picked up the possum and brought it to me as if I could make it run. I had this possum completely covered in dog slobber dropped next my creeper while I was under the truck and my dog starring at me with his sad eyes.

He is a big dumb dog.

I have never figured cats out.
If you feed them well they stick around but don’t hunt.
If you don’t feed them much they hunt but only until they find another house that has easier food available.

I don’t know how being “fixed” effects their hunting prowess, I know of several good male dogs that lost most of their personality after getting neutered so I could never bring myself to do that to mine.

He is unbelievably loyal, I couldn’t do that to him. I just keep him trapped when a dog goes into heat close by.

We always get our cats (and dogs, too, for that matter) fixed, and have never noticed any difference in their hunting habits.

I don’t mind squirrels until they eat all the birdseed from my multiple bird feeders. I solved that problem by wrapping an electric wire system(used to keep the fence charged but took it off) up the pole. It is quite a site to see the little creatures leaping like jackrabbits.

When I was a kid, we had a squirrel problem. My dad had a 1946 Lincoln Continental convertible, the serial number was 2. It was the second Lincoln built after the war. He never actually finished restoring it before he sold it, but he had the leather interior and convertible top done until squirrels chewed them up.

Anyway, I’d trade your squirrels for our rats.

Last year the rat problem was resolved effectively by bait set up by a professional exterminator. He said squirrels might eat it too and die. So you could try the bait blocks, but exterminators get more potent stuff. Not a pleasant death though, takes a day or more and it involves internal bleeding.

Humane way: Rent trap(s). Bait traps. Catch squirrel. Release out away from civilization.
Quick and efficient way: .22 bullets are cheap.
Automatic way: Get a vicious dog.

My grandparents have quite a few squirrels around their place but they do not mind them. Heck they feed them! lol There is one squirrel that actually comes up on the porch and will let you feed it while sitting in your lap.

Fine, as long as they don’t start getting destructive.

To follow up on my previous point, we’re suspecting that rat season is getting started up again. So since money isn’t going to be as available this month as it will be after school starts and we don’t have to pay for daycare for the 2 kids, we bought rat bait at Home Depot and refilled the containers we still had from the exterminator last year.

Last week I get a frantic call from my wife because she saw a squirrel with one of the blocks, she chased it to try to get it to drop the rat bait but the thing got away. Sure enough when I get home, there it is lying on the sidewalk looking dead. But it wasn’t. It continued not being dead, occasionally moving around on the sidewalk or nearby lawn, flies buzzing around it, but still breathing. This kept up for about 26 hours until the squirrel passed on.

I wasn’t too inclined to pick it up and risk getting bitten. It does give me something to think about going into the crawlspace while we’re poisoning rats, all 16 I found last year were dead when I got to them, but this year I’m more active in the crawlspace with a project that involves me being down there more often.

Squirrels I can deal with but rats…

[quote=“Tiny1, post:12, topic:30000”]
Humane way: Rent trap(s). Bait traps. Catch squirrel. Release out away from civilization.
Quick and efficient way: .22 bullets are cheap.
Automatic way: Get a vicious dog.
[/quote]I killed more squirrels with a Daisy 880 Powerline than I did with anything else. .177 caliber pellets are really cheap! Air rifles are pretty quiet too, neighbors probably won’t even notice.

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:1, topic:30000”]
Our outdoor cat having died 2 or 3 years ago, our place is starting to get overrun by squirrels. They are doing damage to our home and garden. We live in the city, so BB guns or pellet rifles are out of the question. Catch-and-relocate seems a useless waste of effort. Any ideas? I’ve been thinking of trying rat traps, either the traditional spring type or sticky traps. Do either of those seem feasible? We’ve thought of getting another outdoor cat, but aren’t sure how to keep one from wandering off (and, of course, there’s the expense). Other ideas? I don’t love killing them, but do want to reduce the squirrel population, not inflict squirrels from my place on folks a mile or two away.
[/quote]There are some air rifles made by Gamo that are very quiet, actually have supressors built on to the end of the barrel. Unless your neighbor sees you, they won’t know if they are inside.

People talk about various ways of dealing with squirrels but no mention of those squirrels who fight back

OK, where are the Clams?