Star Trek "Red Shirts": the Harsh, Statistical Truth

It’s a tragic tale that plays out countless times every day on re-runs of classic Star Trek. Captain Kirk & Co. beam down to an alien planet. They come under attack by some malevolent energy being or dudes in rubber suits. Security crewmen wearing red shirts get vaporized, stabbed and poisoned by booby-trapped flowers.
Being a “Red Shirt” on the USS Enterprise is one of the most dangerous jobs in any (imaginary) military. Don’t believe me? SiteLogic founder Matt Bailey crunched the numbers: 13.7% of Kirk’s crew died during their three-year televised mission. 73% of the deaths were Red Shirts.

What might save Red Shirts’ lives?*Besides not getting involved in fights, which usually proved fatal, the crewmen could avoid beaming down to the planet’s surface, which is inherent to their end. However, that could result in a court-martial for failure to obey orders. *Besides not beaming down, another factor that showed to increase the survival rate of the Red Shirts was the nature of the relationship between the alien life and Captain Kirk. When Captain Kirk meets an alien woman and “makes contact” the survival rate of the red-shirted crewmen increases by 84%. In fact, out of Captain Kirk’s 24 “relationships” there were only three instances of Red-Shirt vaporization.

:howler: :howler: :howler:

The author made a powerpoint presention as well! With graphics!!! Oh THAT’s a keeper.

click BOOKMARK.

But I guess Scotty was exempt from the Red Shirt Curse, being an officer and all.

[quote=“ColonialMarine0431, post:2, topic:11789”]
:howler: :howler: :howler:

The author made a powerpoint presention as well! With graphics!!! Oh THAT’s a keeper.

click BOOKMARK.

But I guess Scotty was exempt from the Red Shirt Curse, being an officer and all.

[/quote]Commodore Decker was an officer…

I don’t know which is scares me more, the fact that people have enough time to crunch the numbers or the fact that I know what they’re talking about. I blame my brother for any star treck knowledge I have.

[quote=“smichellen, post:4, topic:11789”]
I don’t know which is scares me more, the fact that people have enough time to crunch the numbers or the fact that I know what they’re talking about. I blame my brother for any star treck knowledge I have.
[/quote]Who do you blame for your typos? hee hee

:howler: My shrunken post pregnancy brain. Or maybe being subjected to too much *star track *in my childhood. :tongue:

[quote=“smichellen, post:6, topic:11789”]
:howler: My shrunken post pregnancy brain. Or maybe being subjected to too much *star track *in my childhood. :tongue:
[/quote]I think it’s lack of a Y-chromosome…:banana:

Your* welcome.

*Giving her the opportunity to learn more typos.

“It’s a tragic tale that plays out countless times every day on re-runs of classic Star Trek.”
Oh, the horror!**

I’m kinda glad she does’nt have a y…:wink:

Silent Slaughter: A Red Shirt’s Story, sounds like a title for a documentary does it not?

Yes it does…but let’s not forget the Red Coats. Plenty of documentary there.
Taken from the wikipedia I thought this was interesting:
From the modern perspective, the retention of a highly conspicuous colour such as red for active service appears inexplicable, regardless of how striking it may have looked on the parade ground. It should be noted, however, that in the days of the musket (a weapon of limited range and accuracy) and black powder, battle field visibility was quickly obscured by clouds of smoke. Bright colours enhanced morale and provided a means of distinguishing friend from foe without significantly adding risk. Furthermore, the vegetable dyes used until the 19th century would fade over time to a pink or ruddy-brown, so on a long campaign in a hot climate the colour was less conspicuous than the modern scarlet shade would be.

Back to the topic of the thread, yes it’s interesting to see how much knowledge and theory was pointed out. I love the original Startreck but lost interest in the ongoing re-runs myself!

:alien: I never really had interest in S.T. I was subjected.
Not sad it’s over.
Can’t believe there are threads on the subject.:grin:

Oh, admit it. You were never subjected. You couldn’t wait till the next episode showed up no matter how many times you had already seen it. When Next Generation came out, you were glued to the screen for the next seven years, AND you cried too when Spock died. Umm not that I cried…well maybe just this little tear in the corner of my eye…umm yeah…

On edit: Oh yeah, and you cried when ET died too :confused: And that WAS a dumb movie.

[quote=“Rightwing_Nutjob, post:14, topic:11789”]
Oh, admit it. You were never subjected. You couldn’t wait till the next episode showed up no matter how many times you had already seen it. When Next Generation came out, you were glued to the screen for the next seven years, AND you cried too when Spock died. Umm not that I cried…well maybe just this little tear in the corner of my eye…umm yeah…

On edit: Oh yeah, and you cried when ET died too :confused: And that WAS a dumb movie.
[/quote]When I was a little kid, I cried when they blew up The Bridge over the River Kwai…

FC had an engineer’s mind in those days. He used to design lift bridges after he watched the one in Pekin, IL, in operation. He was about 4 or 5 - or was it a little older than that? Where did we live when we watched that movie on TV?

He wasn’t bothered by all the people being killed - it was the bridge itself.

Okay, whatever. :bored: If I looked forward to S.T. ever it was prolly 'cause i was a kid and had a crush on Capt Kirk.
Next gen for seven yrs? Uhm, I didn’t know that show was on for more than one year.
What?! Spock died? OMG I am crying now. I didn’t know he died! Wow, this is such shocking news to me, hold on let me sit down…oh wait I am sitting.

Again I say, who cares? Don’t answer that, I don’t really want to know who cares that spock is dead. Or has he risen from the dead yet?

:howler: I actually had that figured out before you posted that point. Funny you pointed it out though!

Awwww, FC.
@smich lol :stuck_out_tongue: