Steve Colbert responds to atheists

I don’t know much about Steve Colbert, but I learned a lot about him from the little video in this article. The article is absolutely spot-on, but I think Colbert put it into easy, every-day, common sense. Check it out! (P.S. I tried to copy just the video, but it wouldn’t let me.)

Why is it more rational to believe the universe created itself than to believe God created the universe? « Archdiocese of Washington

Ah he charmed CT with his Irish Catholic schtick. That’s cool, keep watching, because when he directs his irony guns toward conservative republicans it’s equally entertaining.

I completely agree with the clip: atheist groups need stop being obnoxious a-holes. Confronting flagrant violations of the establishment clause I get. But being provocative over memorial displays is a foolish waste of time.

Also I agree with the article, although it’s not necessarily relevant to what atheists actually believe. Atheism is not based on a belief about the universe creating itself. There is no scientific understanding of the universe’s origin. Christians (and other religions) may assert some ancient origin myth to explain it. Atheists reject that those myths are factual for lack of evidence just as they reject claims about deities for lack of evidence.

I have the best “evidence” possible for the existence of God–YOU exist.

Boy, aren’t atheists big babies?? Waaaaa—waaaaa…they’re talking about GOD again!!! Waaaaa! Waaaaa!! :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby: :eusa_boohoo: For people who claim God doesn’t exist, they sure spend a lot of their time chasing God around, don’t they? Geesh…maybe they should take up coin collecting or basket weaving…something…

:Thud:

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve always wondered why people who don’t believe in the existence of God keep fighting him so hard.

2 Likes

Atheists aren’t fighting god, we’re fighting his deluded followers who insist on infecting society with their religious poison.

Agreed Susanna. For a group of people who profess a lack of belief in any sort of deity they sure do spend a lot of time fighting their believers on the most trivial of matters.

I am an agnostic, not an athiest. I have never sought to proselytize my beliefs (or lack thereof); if I am wrong, God will not be pleased if I cause others to lose their faith.

PS There is a scientific theory consistent with current science that the universe did create itself. Even if it were proven, I see no reason why it would conclusively disprove the existence of God.

[astro-ph/9712344] Can the Universe Create Itself?

[quote=“Cactus_Jack, post:6, topic:43782”]
Atheists aren’t fighting god, we’re fighting his deluded followers who insist on infecting society with their religious poison.
[/quote]Why just last night, I said a prayer for you…

OK. I lied. I didn’t. I didn’t think of you at all last night. I didn’t think about RO at all last night. Nothing personal :wink: But I might have, and it’s pretty clear I’ve destroyed you and society just as much as a bunch of dudes getting hitched has destroyed my marriage.

/End sarcasm (for the impaired)

3 Likes

From 'Nutjob’s quote:

[quote="Cactus Jack]Atheists aren’t fighting god, we’re fighting his deluded followers who insist on infecting society with their religious poison.[/QUOTE]
How does our “religious poison” matter when- barring intervention by the God you claim not to believe in- the whole universe is going to come to naught? Every star in every galaxy must die, and entropy will destroy anything complex. Even if scientists were to miraculously (ironic pun intended) contrive “immortality” for today’s universe, they’d need a much bigger miracle from a much higher Source to stop entropy.

I suspect pseudoscience. At any rate, such a theory would have to be based on no observed evidence. I file it with theories on how perpetual motion machines can work. It’s a thing that I’ve learned to bring up in such discussions: How does one account for the origin of the universe without a supernatural event?

1 Like

Be careful FC that question is a double edged sword.

Nutjob, I wasn’t just referring to Christianity in my post but to all religions equally. Also, it’s not believers I have a problem with but believers who seek to use the power of the state to oppress others and to deny others rights. Also, atheists obviously seek to defend the separation of church and state.

This idea that atheists are out to deny others their rights is a fabrication. For the most part - and I’ll admit there are exceptions - atheists seek to defend rights, not deny others of them.

1 Like

[quote=“Cactus_Jack, post:12, topic:43782”]
Also, it’s not believers I have a problem with but believers who seek to use the power of the state to oppress others and to deny others rights.
[/quote]Me too. But for those folks, if it weren’t religion, it’d be something else, maybe “social justice” or a “duty” or a dedication to an “orderly society.” But why didn’t you say “we’re fighting his deluded followers who insist on using the power of the state to oppress others and to deny others rights?” Or maybe “*some *of his deluded followers”? Certainly many atheists want to do the same, but I wouldn’t cast it as all atheists. The only reason we don’t see more of them compared to religious folks is because religious folks are so much more common.

Also, about one of your signatures, I don’t think religion makes good people do evil things. If folks are defined by what they do, then religious folks who do evil things are simply evil.

1 Like

Which question, and why?

Also, it’s not atheists I have a problem with but atheists who seek to use the power of the state to oppress others and to deny others rights.

7 Likes

CT, there may have been a fallacy in your response but I can’t name it.

Your statement is clearly a powerful, precise argument!

I’d bet CJ agrees with her.

1 Like

I have to plead ignorance. I merely COPIED CJ’s post and replaced “believers” with “atheists”. That’s because it is the atheists who have used the government to “oppress others and deny their rights”. So, if there is a fallacy in my post, then there has to be a fallacy in CJ’s. What am I missing?

I was being sarcastic toward VHS’s comment. I’m sorry – I’m sure CJ also opposes atheists who have used the government to “oppress others and deny their rights” as in your previous post, although with this post, he no doubt would not like the characterization of atheists in general any more than we do such generalizations about Christians.

1 Like

I sort of thought you were being tongue-in-cheek, but I wasn’t sure. Thanks for the clarification!

1 Like