Students told term ‘be a man’ represents toxic masculinity

Gettysburg College freshman James Goodman began his first moments of higher education by being lectured by campus leaders about “toxic masculinity,” he tells [FONT=inherit]The College Fix in an interview.[/FONT]
Students who “identify as male” were shown a docudrama film about masculinity. The film, titled “The Mask You Live In,” was part of the lessons warning students that the notion of masculinity comes with harmful side effects, he said.

Students told term ‘be a man’ represents toxic masculinity - The College Fix

As one gets older we are expected to take responsibility and be able to provide for ourselves and be someone that can be counted on to make good decisions. The new generation is being taught that self reliance is a bad thing and one must be protected from opinions and situations that occur as one grows older. This phenomenon means these individuals are ill prepared to hold a job or rent an apartment or even buy food and clothing because their sensibilities may be upset if they see something or hear something their shell like ears find disturbing.

I realize the move to degenderfy the sexes and turn everybody into metrosexuals or what sex they believe in that day is popular with these little children who moan about paying bills and doing any thing constructive has a ulterior purpose for these lemmings who are being indoctrinated via schools and government to be sheep easily handled.

I imagine being told to be an adult is aggressive behavior in this new lexicon of existence.

warning students that the notion of masculinity comes with harmful side effects, he said.
I guess that I’m toxic then because I’m proud to be a man. Just more PC garbage. Someone needs to start kicking butt over this PC carp.

> “whether it’s homicidal violence or suicidal violence, people resort to such desperate behavior only when they are feeling shame or humiliated, or feel they would be if they didn’t prove that they were real men.”
This makes no sense. Virtually every mass shooting I’ve seen has been from some dude who’s anything but masculine. Most of them look like a good portion of women could kick their ass.
If anything, mass shootings stem from a* lack *of masculinity.

Men and women have different biologies. A man with a good sense of self, drive, and motivation will naturally be masculine.

“Be a man” is an exhortation to a certain ethic, just like “be a Muslim,” or “be an American.” It can and should therefore be criticized as such. Recognition that “male virtue” is ethically problematic is old news, from philosophy to literature. On the latter, attacking the goodness of “male virtue” is a major theme in much of Shakespeare.

Do you have a problem with masculinity?

Like most ethics, I think “masculinity” has both positive and negative aspects.

I would not have thought that was your opinion after reading your post #4.

**Students told term ‘be a man’ represents toxic masculinity **
In a way I can kind of see the goal with a statement like that. It’s another way to approach the men & women are equal agenda. Here’s my view on that topic (please read rather than react).
Men & woman are not equal & can (hopefully) never be equal. Equal means the same because to be exactly equal means that they are exactly the same. Two dimes might be equal but a dime & 10 pennies are not exactly equal. Don’t believe me, try putting those 10 pennies in just about any machine. Men & women can do the same jobs most of the time & should get the same pay, I totally agree with that. But are they exactly the same, total bull. Each sex has it’s own make up that keeps it from being like the other sex. My feeling is that instead of having a goal of them being equal, the goal should be in pointing out the wonderful differences that make them unique. Women are stronger in a lot of areas just as men are stronger in other areas. That doesn’t mean that one sex is better than the other, it just means that they are different. I also feel that the difference is one of the things that makes up a good marriage. Two totally different viewpoints blended together to reach a better outcome on just about everything that touches our lives.

Well I read thru that thing and I wasn’t sure, so I asked one of my heroes in life about ‘be a man’ represents toxic masculinity’ and I did not get to talk much, but the following are some quotes from him. I know some of you may be offended by what he said, well that sounds a little TOXIC to me…

*“My men don’t surrender!” "I don’t want to hear of any soldier under my command being captured unless he has been hit. Even if you are hit, you can still fight back. That’s not just bullshit either. The kind of man that I want in my command is just like the lieutenant in Libya, who, with a Luger against his chest, jerked off his helmet, swept the gun aside with one hand, and busted the hell out of the Kraut with his helmet. Then he jumped on the gun, went out, and killed another German before they knew what was coming off. In addition, all of that time, this man had a bullet through a lung. There was a real man!”

“Each man must not think only of himself, but also of his buddy fighting beside him. We don’t want yellow cowards in this Army. They should be killed off like rats. If not, they will go home after this war and breed more cowards. The brave men will breed more brave men.”

“I don’t want to get any messages saying, "I am holding my position.” We are not holding a Goddamned thing. Let the Germans do that. We are advancing constantly and we are not interested in holding onto anything, except the enemy’s balls. We are going to twist his balls and kick the living shit out of him all of the time. Our basic plan of operation is to advance and to keep on advancing regardless of whether we have to go over, under, or through the enemy. We are going to go through him like crap through a goose; like shit through a tin horn!”

"There is one great thing that you men will all be able to say after this war is over and you are home once again. You may be thankful that twenty years from now when you are sitting by the fireplace with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what you did in the great World War II, you WON’T have to cough, shift him to the other knee and say, "Well, your Granddaddy shoveled shit in Louisiana.” No, Sir, you can look him straight in the eye and say, “Son, your Granddaddy rode with the Great Third Army and a Son-of-a-Goddamned-Bitch named Georgie Patton!” *

Well, that answered it for me, how about you?

Oh my bleeding heart.

When I tell someone to be a man I am telling them to stop whining about their circumstance and do something about it. No one else in this would can fix your problems.
When I tell someone to be a man I am telling them to own up to their responsibilities. If you have a kid you need to take care of that kid.
When I tell someone to be a man I am telling them to provide for their family. If you ask a woman to marry you and have your kids then you need to provide the means for her to do so. If you can’t then why in the hell did you ask her.
When I tell someone to be a man I am telling them to help raise their kids. Teach them what they need to know to succeed so that they can provide for themselves and their family.
When I tell someone to be a man I am telling them I am telling them to do what is right. Life is full of hard choices and all we can do is what we believe is right a move on.
When I tell someone to be a man I am telling them I am telling them just that. Be a damn MAN!

I think the people in question aren’t “man” enough to say what they really mean, which is “Be a sissy!”

I agree with everything you said . . . well put.

On the " . . . stop whining . . . " part, I think “pity parties” have become part of the culture, and the “woe is me” crowd just drives me nuts.

On the " . . . do something about it." part, I would expand.

Somtimes, there is actually nothing that can be done. When that’s the case, just shut up and play the hand you were dealt! DEAL WITH IT! (I guess that IS “doing something about it” anyway.)

Again, well put.

(And, NO, I wouldn’t be very good on a suicide hot line . . . “Man up and shut up”.)

Well, it’s a question of whether they really need help or a kick in the pants.

Ole George Patton was in the wrong outfit, he should have been a Marine. :grin:

There is no shortage of Patton’s in the USMC, Chesty Puller and PX Kelly come to mind and today Gen Mathis, wonder what any of them would say about todays GLBT military???

Hadn’t thought of that. Guess I might be the go to guy for the “kick in the pants” lecture . . . man up, dude!

This kind of political correctness is going way too far. Indeed, the past four Presidents, i.e. the two Bushes, Clinton and Obama have been more or less anodyne. This has led to the mess we’re had with Trump. PC is not only wrong; it’s boring.