Students will be tracked via chips in IDs

Northside Independent School District plans to track students next year on two of its campuses using technology implanted in their student identification cards in a trial that could eventually include all 112 of its schools and all of its nearly 100,000 students.

District officials said the Radio Frequency Identification System (RFID) tags would improve safety by allowing them to locate students — and count them more accurately at the beginning of the school day to help offset cuts in state funding, which is partly based on attendance.

Read more: Students will be tracked via chips in IDs - San Antonio Express-News

I realize that schools get funding for student attendance but this step is nothing but a further encroachment on rights.

Isn’t it amazing under Obama more and more politicians want to limit rights/sarcasm

Living here this has been of some interest to me. That said I can make the case and support it…HOWEVER where does it stop?

Right now its RFID chips that are extremely low power only good in and around the buildings and the intentions are good, NO, they GREAT! But what life has taught me is the govt, Schumer, Franke, Obama, Reid, Pelosi will take it over and increase the range from the school grounds, to the area around the school, to the town, the county etc etc. Then the govt will take on the total management of your kids, they can alrady provide them PRESCRIPTION MEDS with OUT involving the parents.

Children become wards of the state.

Nat Geo TV has done several shows on the rise of Hitler and Nazi Germany, leading up to WWII. It would wise to watch it. You might note how the govt took over the raising of the children…an eye opener!

Bottom line is just say NO! Its not worth it if you want to remain a free people.

[quote=“17Oaks, post:2, topic:36490”]
Then the govt will take on the total management of your kids, they can alrady provide them PRESCRIPTION MEDS with OUT involving the parents.

Children become wards of the state.

Nat Geo TV has done several shows on the rise of Hitler and Nazi Germany, leading up to WWII. It would wise to watch it. You might note how the govt took over the raising of the children…an eye opener!

Bottom line is just say NO! Its not worth it if you want to remain a free people.
[/quote]Bingo

Yup, go for the “safety” jugular. That’ll win it every time!

I don’t believe I’ve ever read such an idiotic article, and can’t believe any parent would go along with such nonsense.

They question the so-called privacy rights of students, (they don’t actually, Constitutionally, have any), when the BIGGER, most OBVIOUS question ought to address the school’s competancy? I mean, just how incompetant can you be to NOT notice that Joey isn’t in class when the attendance record says he should be?

On to the article:

Northside’s deputy superintendent of administration, Brian Woods, who will take over as superintendent in July, defended the use of RFID chips at Tuesday’s meeting, comparing it to security cameras. He stressed that the program is only a pilot and not permanent.

Since when has anybody seen a gov’t ‘pilot’ program not become permanent?

“We want to harness the power

Need anyone say more?
But they chose to:

of (the) technology to make schools safer, know where our students are all the time in a school, and increase revenues,”
Cha ching!!!
district spokesman Pascual Gonzalez said. “Parents expect that we always know where their children are, and this technology will help us do that.”

There’s that safetly/incompetence rearing its lovely head again.

On to more ‘enlightening’:

Chip readers on campuses and on school buses can detect a student’s location but can’t track them once they leave school property. Only authorized administrative officials will have access to the information, Gonzalez said.

Isn’t it sweet how they make it sound so official and well-managed? Until it strikes you that bus drivers are given that “authority.”’
:howler: Good lord, have you taken an account of the average bus driver? Sure, some are the best in the world, love the kids, and the whole nine yards. Then you have the multitudes whose only possibility of employment is from schools desparate for anyone willing to take the job. Yeah, that’s just who I want to see having the ability to track where my daughter is at all times. NOT.

He said officials understand that students could leave the card somewhere, throwing off the system.

Well, duh.

They cost $15 each, and if lost, a student will have to pay for a new one.

And you are going to enforce this how? Does he mean to tell us that he’s going to throw some kid whose on the lunch program out of school if they can’t cough up the 15 bucks? Right.

As is always the case, follow the money:

If successful, Northside would get $1.7 million next year from both higher attendance and Medicaid reimbursements for busing special education students, he said.But the payoff could be a lot bigger if the program goes districtwide, Bassett said.
He said the program was one way the growing district could respond to the Legislature’s cuts in state education funding. Northside trimmed its budget last year by $61.4 million.

So where are they going to get the money?
You guessed it. From you and me. Most of whom have no interest in it, nor benefit (if you can call it that) from it.
If the good citizens from San Atone - the thorn in TX’s otherwise conservative side - want this ridiculous and expensive technology, fine. (Sort of.) But in any case, THEY can jolly well PAY FOR IT.