Sued Over Sugar In Jelly Beans, Jelly Belly's Response: ...

Sued Over Sugar In Jelly Beans, Jelly Belly’s Response: 'This Is Nonsense’
John O’Brien and Sara McCleary
John is the editor of Legal Newsline and the Pennsylvania Record, and Sara is a freelance reporter.

A lawsuit filed by a woman who says she was misled into buying Jelly Belly’s exercise jelly bean is not uncommon, one attorney says, but it is “nonsense,” the company is arguing.

Jelly Belly’s Sport Beans are advertised as an exercise supplement containing carbohydrates, electrolytes and vitamins. Jessica Gomez, in a lawsuit filed earlier this year in a California state court, says they also contain more sugar than she thought.

That’s because “evaporated cane juice” is listed on the ingredients list. This term is used instead of “sugar” to make Sport Beans more attractive to athletes, Gomez and her attorneys say.

This is moronic and frivolous on so many levels my list be will probably be incomplete. First, the Sport beans nutrition label:

http://www.sportbeans.com/assets/images/nutritionImages/sport_beans_nut_panel.jpg

• Hello! Those 100 calories aren’t from pixie dust!

• Hello! The label says “Total Sugars 19g”!

• Hello! The label says "Includes 19g Added Sugars!

• Hello! How blindingly ignorant do you have to be not to have heard of “Cane Sugar”?

• Hello! How blindingly ignorant of a runner or weight lifter do you have to be not to know that simple sugars deliver a quick energy boost, potentially useful in a lengthy workout or run?!

I’m no nutrition expert, but I do sometimes use a supplement similar to Sport Beans, Gu Energy Gel. Whatever the mix of mental and physiological, I have found this sort of product helpful. Gu is a well-known and popular product, and I find their gel packets more usable than packets of Sport Beans. That said (and getting to my point), here is the Nutrition label for Gu:

Same 100 calories; 22g of carbohydrate (a mix of simple and complex sugars) instead of 19g. Slightly different electrolytes mix, but no B vitamins.

IOW, Jelly Belly’s Sport Beans are not disguised candy.

Here is how to bring these lawsuits to a screeching halt…LOSER PAYS! To the best of my knowledge we are the only country that does not do this…

That’s the way it was laid out in the OT law.