Supplement pill scam my friend doesn't know he is running:

My friend who is also a “paulbot” is claiming that he is starting a business with these vitamin supplements. I am very concerned for him and all the people that he doesn’t know he scammed. The problem is…He believes in this whole-heatedly.

I will give you a link to his “program” that is guaranteed to make you money, lose weight and feel great!!!

How do I help him stop this?

Joel D. Wallach, the mineral doctor - The Skeptic’s Dictionary - Skepdic.com

False: No paulbot would be your friend.

Doesn’t this scream painting a paulbot as a nut/stupid?

Bf88, jjf3’s post is just short of 90 words long: 5 words are used to point out his political views; 2/3-3/4 of his post is about this business and jjf3’s opinion of its efficacy. Don’t see a smear of Ron Paul advocates in the proportions of the post, and if if the simple brief mention of the friend’s political views might be such a smear, it might with at least equal likelihood be an appeal to like-minded people for ways to set his friend straight.

False: No paulbot would be your friend.

Are you serious? Were you to look over my FB Friends list you’d find among them Evangelical pastors and missionaries, “Progressive” semi-feminazis and at least one lesbian (no one anyone here knows). One meets lots of different people in life, and people change over the years.

I’m not even going to respond to that first part because political ideology hardly comes into play when I make friends. Girlfriends are a different matter but this is a black guy I went to college with and I am seriously concerned for his well-being. He uses, the scare tactics about Gold and the free market, and tells people that it’s ok to break government rules and to believe in unfounded conspiracies about how there is a cabal of doctors who are keeping this secret so that they can profit off your diseases, what’s worse is that he doesn’t even cite his info. So the fact that he is a paulbot is a factor in play here as he uses the ideology to sell/scam people.

Most likely I have, too. I don’t know what all of my friends, or at least acquaintances are.

Lots of scams like that around. A friend of mine gets into a lot of them; she really believes in them. Some of them are just vitamins & minerals, etc., and are probably OK, but expensive. I tried some of them once - they were all liquid; the minerals did seem to help my arthritis, but they tasted horrible, and were too expensive to keep up with.

Oy! Well, I have some weird friends, and I’m sure some of them think I’m weird. When some one is into that conspiracy theory mindset, trying to get them out of it often “reveals” you as part of the conspiracy. Or at least as duped.

My friend is claiming that these magic pills are all you need. This is what he said.

“Lack of exercise is not why people gain wait and eating the wrong foods is not either. There would be no reason to eat the wrong foods if you got all your nutrition and working out burns the energy you just ate.” Then he claimed that he never said people shouldn’t exercise. That’s pretty much the same thing though.

I can relate here. One of my friends is like this. We have fun until the tin hat pops on.

So I’ve been researching this more but ran into some early problems. I haven’t even gotten to the claims about weather or not mineral supplements work or not. There is a talking point that Dr. Wallach says all the time he claims that: Dr. Linus Pauling two time nobel prize winner said, “You can trace every sickness, every disease, and every ailment to a mineral deficiency.” However there is an inconsistency here because, his research institute has put out this statement alleging that he never said it!!!

“A statement purportedly attributed to Linus Pauling has proliferated on the Internet, often in association with the sale of mineral supplements. The alleged quote is usually akin to “You can trace every sickness, every disease, and every ailment to a mineral deficiency.” We are reasonably certain that Pauling never made such a statement for the obvious reason that it is untrue. Pauling was interested in the health effects of micronutrients, especially vitamin C, the vitamin that absorbed his interest for almost thirty years. Throughout his career, Pauling used x-ray diffraction to elucidate the molecular structure of many inorganic substances, such as minerals, and organic substances like proteins. If he had been particularly interested in the health benefits of minerals, he would have focused his research in this direction. There is no evidence in the published literature that he did so.”

So my friend ever the conspiracy theorist cooks up a reason why Dr. Pauling’s institute would release this statement. They have been working closely with big pharmaceutical companies so that they can discredit Dr. Wallach. He claims that they released this statement to shed doubt on Dr. Wallach’s work so that they can continue to profit off of real medicine that actually works lolz.

So in other words he jumped From: the more logical reason for the Paling institute to release this statement because of exactly what they said. They said that Pauling never stated the statement and if he was interested in the health benefits of minerals he would have focused much more money and energy into it. Meaning that Pauling didn’t continue in this research because it is at best inconclusive, but probably because he didn’t find any health benefits. There’s no conspiracy because these pills are still on the market, anyway.

To: a massive conspiracy about this little institute working with the pharma companies to send out a false statement about a false statement.

That also means that Dr. Wallach has been using this statement of his in a fraudulent way and it is a shame that Pauling isn’t alive today to stop him further and take the proper legal action.

–Stupid!