Suspected suicide bomber kills 21 at Egypt church

Suspected suicide bomber kills 21 at Egypt church
By Yasmine Saleh
ALEXANDRIA, Egypt | Sat Jan 1, 2011 6:32pm EST

(Reuters) - A bomb killed at least 21 people outside a church in the Egyptian city of Alexandria early on New Year’s Day and the Interior Ministry said a foreign-backed suicide bomber may have been responsible.

Dozens of people were wounded by the blast, which scattered body parts, destroyed cars and smashed windows. The attack prompted Christians to protest on the streets, and some Christians and Muslims hurled stones at each other.

Egypt has stepped up security around churches, banning cars from parking outside them, since an al Qaeda-linked group in Iraq issued a threat against the Church in Egypt in November.

No matter what kind of excuses are made or selective appeals made to a certain Qur’anic verse (which is emphatically contradicted elsewhere in the Qur’an), this kind of violence is happening all across southern Asia and northern Africa! While Christians are a major target, so are Hindus, Baha’i and Jews. The point of commonality? The perps are Muslims invoking Islam. Another common point? The efforts of governments of Islamic nations to stop this, to the extent there are such efforts, are weak, after the fact, and compromised!

Copts Were Sitting Ducks After Egyptian Guards Left
Ann Kane
American Thinker
1/2/10

Updated reports on the car bomb that killed Christians in Alexandria, Egypt during New Year’s Eve Mass are revealing “Egyptian Security Guards Withdrew One Hour Before Church Blast, Say Eyewitnesses,” by Mary Abdelmassih for AINA, January 2:
I hate saying this, but information, generally, out of the ME isn’t exactly the most reliable. AINA is, IIRC, to some degree an interested party, being a voice of an ethnic and religious minority in a Muslim Arab culture. OTOH, the brief video linked in the article suggests that some people on scene were not exactly surprised nor particularly sympathetic to those just bombed. So AINA’s claim is, at worst IMO, more than generally plausible.