tags 101?

time to confess ignorance again… need a short course in tags…like…what are they?!

i know, it’s embarrassing.

but hey… do you know how all the little tricks once used to enable a rear wheel drive vehicle to conquer snow and ice?

i thought so.

it’s a generational thing.

oh yeah, trackbacks. that’s another mystery for this forum member! :embarrese

[quote=“patricia reed, post:1, topic:43171”]
time to confess ignorance again… need a short course in tags…like…what are they?!

i know, it’s embarrassing.

but hey… do you know how all the little tricks once used to enable a rear wheel drive vehicle to conquer snow and ice?

i thought so.

it’s a generational thing.

oh yeah, trackbacks. that’s another mystery for this forum member! :embarrese
[/quote]Tags are simply instructions, in the form of brackets ([ and ]), that tell the BB software how to format your text . . . like bolding (which would be a B enclosed in the brackets), italics, underline, quote, etc.

Typically, the format is a beginning tag with the instruction enclosed in the brackets that tells the software to BEGIN the formatting, and then a closing tag at the end where you want the software to END the formatting. However, the ending tag has a forward slash (/) before the instruction to tell the software that it is indeed an ending tag.

I wouldn’t worry about a “trackack”.

2 Likes

Patricia,

This page might help:
BB Code List - Conservative Republican Discussion Forums

And this one:

[quote=“Jack_Hectormann, post:3, topic:43171”]
Patricia,

This page might help:

And this one:

[/quote] thanks i will check these out

For formatting - bold, italicize, and underline - highlighting the text you want to format and using the relevant toolbar buttons may be easier. Long ago I got used to doing tags manually, so I still do, mostly.

Using “Reply With Quote” does the quote tags, plus linking to the post you are quoting and identifying who posted it; that little pic in the toolbar with a word balloon puts quote tags around text you’ve highlighted. I do quote tags manually, also, partly because I’m used to it, and partly because nesting quotes within quotes (within quotes, within …) is easier. If you are doing manual quote tags for something some one posted, you can identify the one who posted it by adding their user name, thus: {QUOTE=patricia reed} Quoted text {/quote} (using [ and ] instead of { and }).

One benefit to learning to do tags manually is that they work the same in several common discussion forum software platforms. I learned tags back before word-processor-style formatting buttons got added to forum SW reply boxes.

1 Like

Ignorance is a state of being uninformed or a lack of knowledge. The only cure for ignorance is to first freely admit you do not know something then to simply ask. So many are afraid to ask or do not want to show weakness these days. A lot of good could be done if this trend would reverse.

1 Like

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:5, topic:43171”]
For formatting - bold, italicize, and underline - highlighting the text you want to format and using the relevant toolbar buttons may be easier. Long ago I got used to doing tags manually, so I still do, mostly
[/quote]Yeah, I forgot to mention that you can do those things automagically 'cause I do that stuff manually too.

Tunnel vision and a failure to recognize that there is more than one way?

[quote=“tperkins, post:6, topic:43171”]
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed or a lack of knowledge. The only cure for ignorance is to first freely admit you do not know something then to simply ask. So many are afraid to ask or do not want to show weakness these days. A lot of good could be done if this trend would reverse.
[/quote]Very true. But while there are no stupid questions, there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots (NO, PR, I’m not talking about you here.)

1 Like

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRdfX7ut8gw[/video]

Even if this pretty much definitive film version of “Fiddler” hadn’t been made, there is no way it would be made today! Too Jewish, too Holocaust-reminiscent (and such pogroms did happen in late 19th Century Russia), too patriarchal, too traditional - IOW, a lot of that elements that make it excellent.

I’ve seen this movie (and enjoyed it very much.) Would it be made today? Who knows? The point is that it WAS made and is available for everyone to enjoy. The music is wonderful.

Er, non sequiter?

well bj you know what they say about us conservatives: we’re just Luddites at heart!

actually in a strange way i think liberals, at least the environmental extremist branch, have taken the Luddite baton from us and carried it in strange new directions! i think i am a cultural Luddite tho, mentally i belong in the late eighteenth century. except when i think about medical technology… leeches… surgery without anesthesia (or transfusions)… uh yeah, i’ll take the 21st century maybe, despite numerous disturbing developments!

i actually have had conservative acquaintances tho who think the industrial revolution was a BAD THING. that would be an interesting thread. and endless. forget that. i am digressing wildly anyway. too much coffee.

[quote=“patricia reed, post:12, topic:43171”]
except when i think about medical technology… leeches… surgery without anesthesia (or transfusions)… uh yeah, i’ll take the 21st century maybe, despite numerous disturbing developments
[/quote]Definitely going off track here (though you’re the OP, so if you “authorize it”, I’m OK), but I’ve often considered the discomfort individuals suffered when they had to make trips to the outhouse in winter. I have a neurogenic bladder, and it’s much like a lot of women suffer with “overactive bladder” (Detrol and stuff like that).

Sometimes I have to make trips to the bathroom every 15 minutes or so. I just take the convenience for granted, since it’s warm and just a few steps away. But what was it like for the poor souls that had to trot out to the cold and smelly outhouse every 15 minutes? (I think some royalty had “water closets” and slaves to empty chamber pots, but the average guy/gal had to deal with outhouses.)

Thomas Jefferson had a severely swollen prostate in his later years, and even went so far as to order and use catheters from France. Yuchhhhhh!

And too, a hundred years from now someone will probably wonder, “How did they ever . . .?”

Well, there was always the chamber pot.

…or the “three seashells.”

Huh?

[quote=“Susanna, post:16, topic:43171”]
Huh?
[/quote]The three sea shells was from the movie demolitionman. When they woke Sylvester Stallone up he had to go to the bathroom and he did not know how to use the three sea shells. They did not use toilet paper. I imagine they were the controls of a future type bidet.

Sorry. Bad, BAD movie reference. “Demolition Man” starring Stallone.

[QUOTE=BobJam;662048]

And too, a hundred years from now someone will probably wonder, “How did they ever . . .?”

thumbs up for modern technology, no question.

but in some other ways it seems like we are becoming less civilized, not more. somewhat perplexing.

[quote=“Susanna, post:14, topic:43171”]
Well, there was always the chamber pot.
[/quote] my father and his seven sibilings grew up in a three bedroom house, but fortunately the third bedroom was the entire top story, so there was no bed shortage (if you are okay with three kids to a double bed) but only one bathroom. but… they were on the edge of town, and had a big yard with many trees and shrubs. 'nuf said.