Takeaways From The Election - Brief

Viewed through the lens of midterm history, we did very well last night. We lost fewer seats in the House than history would have suggested and, contrary to the historical norm in midterms, we actually picked up seats in the Senate. But . . .

Given the razor thin margins of many of our victories, we could have VERY easily lost the Senate. I think it is very troubling that some of these razor thin victories were against far-left lunatics - such as, open borders, anti-ICE, Medicare for all Gillum, O’Rourke, Sinema (still not declared), Rosen, etc.

Given the outstanding economy, progress in foreign affairs, trade negotiations, etc, that the extreme left gave as good a showing as they did - losing key races by extremely small margins - should give us cause for pause
IMHO - without Trump’s unprecedented and monumental effort we would have had our asses handed to us. Without the hideous Democratic Kavanaugh fiasco that played out over a 3 week period, even Trump might not have been able to pull out a Senate victory.
Given the positive conditions in the country, why were some of these races against lunatics so close?

1. Well, we fumbled the ball on Obamacare/healthcare - an issue very important to a large segment of our population.

2. We have media that largely runs interference for the Left - in fact, some might argue it is largely an extension of the DNC.

3. For the last 40+ years the nation’s education system - especially, but not exclusively, higher education - has been in FIRM CONTROL of the Left.

4. Largely because of #2 and #3, we have an underinformed/misinformed electorate - it’s incredible how much our electorate knows that is not true.

These are reasons that come immediately to mind - I’m sure many of you can think of others.

By the way, as I write this little missile, the margin in the Senate is still undecided. Nelson in Florida is within 1/2 a point - recount? The race in Arizona has yet to be decided.

Of further note, it appears Dems have picked up 7 governorships. Looking ahead, control of the statehouse often leads to redrawing the lines of congressional districts - this could be important in determining the outcome of future House races.

I suggest we buckle up - the next 2 years are going to be VERY BUMPY!!

Actually, redistricting only occurs with a governorship that has a legislature of the same party…such as what happened in Pennsylvania. They managed to gerrymander 4 congress-critters out of office in the Philly suburbs by adding heavily black neighborhoods to each of those districts.

I was worried about Nelson, and Gillum in FL, and Robert Orourke in TX.
Those three races are where the dems threw most of their money.

All three lost, so I’m OK with the results. They aren’t ideal, but they are far better than what I thought they would be.

While President Trump has had astounding success his first two years implementing positive change, one crucial problem he’s barely mentioned is debt. I’m wondering if his unstated strategy all along has been to get as much done as possible the first two years that requires a Republican majority, knowing that every President looses seats in the midterm.

Cutting spending to reduce the growth of debt will be a big fight, probably requiring lots of vetoes. This might be unproductive for getting anything else done. That fight is sorely, even desperately needed, and he hasn’t been shy about fighting.

Here’s hope he can stop the uncontrolled growth of debt before it swamps the boat of the union.

It’s more about who’s in power. Democrats have some power now. Many Republicans will rediscover their stated affinity for responsible budgeting. With impending obstructionism, we might actually see some progress!

In addition, I do believe Dems were hell-bent on getting the vote. There were a lot of stoopid, angry people who wanted revenge for 2016.

As I turn over in my mind the possible reasons for the several VERY SLIGHT Senate victories by Repubs in what heretofore were viewed as strong red states, I think it worth noting a couple of additional reasons (additional to those I noted in my opening post) for our near loss of the Senate.

First, I think it is clear we have a changing demographic - certainly that appears to be the case in Florida and Texas. I am most familiar with Texas. In Texas, in the past decade we have had a significant migration of people from both coasts looking for jobs. Those jobs are typically found in urban areas - Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and the university city, Austin… It is no accident these areas are now strongly Left. It seems many of these migrants brought their politics with them.

Second, while we now have a dynamic economy in the US and the Trump/Republican marginal tax rate cuts helped in that regard, it must be noted that nearly half our population received no direct benefit from the tax cuts. Why? Because nearly half the country pays no federal income tax. As a corollary, Repubs did a poor job of explaining that a booming economy raises everyone’s boat through job creation, etc. Of course, no such explanation would be necessary if we didn’t have so many members of our electorate with their heads up their ass.

Of course, everywhere we have too many people whose mind doesn’t get past the first syllable of the word “freedom”. Guaranteed income, Medicare for all, gov’t payoff of student loans/college tuition, etc.

Try to remember that fully HALF of this country pay no taxes. To them, tax cuts are meaningless since they don’t pay them in the first place, so touting the tax cuts is NOT a winning strategy except to people who actually PAY taxes and that’s becoming a smaller and smaller part of the country.

As I pointed out in my second point, even though approx. 1/2 the country pays no federal income tax, the GOP candidates could have/should have strongly made the point that the tax cuts made a substantial increase in job growth possible/reduced unemployment possible.

It was a good night for Trump. Dems underperformed the polls. Overall, a good outcome for the country. We have divided government again, so the march to stupidity that always ensues when one party has control should slow down.

I wouldn’t bet a plug nickel on that… Genius has limits, stupidity knows no bounds

According to Rush Limbaugh**: "**Jason Lewis’ point in his piece here — it’s a good one — is that the Republicans lost the House the minute McCain voted down the repeal of Obamacare in the Senate. The House had done great work in coming up with a repeal of Obamacare, and it hinged on McCain’s vote in the Senate. And had that happened, there would have been a lot more to campaign on, a much bigger item of success in reforming, replacing, repealing Obamacare.

Instead, it went down to defeat because of McCain, and McCain thumbed down Obamacare’s repeal simply because of Trump. Not because of the policy. The Never Trumper contingent on the Republican side in the media and without continues to be as opposed to Trump as anybody you’ll find on CNN. It’s one thing to be opposed to the Democrats. That’s the natural order of things. But to have to put up with insurrection or sabotage — and it’s not because of policy!"