Taxpayer-subsidized solar cell maker shuts down

Thomas Lifson
American Thinker
12/22/10

So much for green jobs being the wave of the future, as promised by President Obama. Taxpayer-subsidized solar cell maker Spectra-Watt has announced it is shuttering its plant. The Poughkeepsie Journal reports:

[quote]In a stunning reversal, the frequently lauded and taxpayer-funded SpectraWatt Inc. has told the state it will close its solar cell plant starting in March and lay off 117 workers.
[/quote]
OK, how far from economic viability are current technology solar cells if makers can’t make a profit even after large subsidies?!

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:1, topic:28676”]
Thomas Lifson
American Thinker
12/22/10

OK, how far from economic viability are current technology solar cells if makers can’t make a profit even after large subsidies?!
[/quote]I just had a relative who told me I should look into solar because he knows I have been working on making my home more energy efficient. I have read solar still has to have a backup in order to get marginal use out of it. I believe I saw one home around here that had installed some kind of solar device but the owner has since removed it.

In the early '80s when I was a teen, they had solar panels on the roof of the public library and a display showing how many watts were being generated at the moment (typically a little over 2000 watts on a good day). When I went back about twenty years later, it was gone.

Just for information; the ‘active solar’ installations of twenty years ago took a tremendous amount of maintainence [ie: cleaning refurbishing the cells etc] that any supposed gains were offset. ‘Passive solar’ was just too expensive and seasonal.
There is nothing wrong with looking into and experimenting with solar technology, and a system I have specified in one persons home is called “Dawn Solar” with a very high initial cost but it heats glycol for radiant heating as well as hot water, and also can generate electricity with new ‘nanocell technology’[sheets of generating capability.]
Worth looking into.

I saw a TV clip of “Ed” Begley, Jr. on his roof “cleaning” his solar array. So if you don’t keep the solar panels clean, you get reduced efficiency.

Batteries are another maintenance item. I have not seen honest projections of how long these batteries will last.

[quote=“Bucks, post:5, topic:28676”]
I saw a TV clip of “Ed” Begley, Jr. on his roof “cleaning” his solar array. So if you don’t keep the solar panels clean, you get reduced efficiency.

Batteries are another maintenance item. I have not seen honest projections of how long these batteries will last.

[/quote]Ed" Begley, Jr–Now there is a nut. He probably ends up spending more being environmentally efficient than what he gains from his little crusade.

My brother was trying to use solar power for an electric fence to keep the deer out of his orchard. Some kind of shiny bars, I think - and the bluebirds loved perching on them. And guess what else they did on them?!