Ted Cruz just committed political suicide

I just got done listening to the Ted Cruz speech. What an miserable display from a sore loser! It would not have hurt him to have endorsed Donald Trump. He could have done what Ronald Reagan did in 1976, but he didn’t. Instead he broke his word to endorse the Republican nominee. Now we know why so many people dislike him in Washington!

i will not forget this in 2020. Cruz is an ingrate. He is not a team player who can work with others. He can hold his seat in Texas, but he should not rise any further. He cut off his own political legs tonight. He is unfit to be president. We don’t need a man who is that petty.

He has not a gracious bone in his body. He’ll have plenty of time to regret this.

Honestly…I thought he was smarter than this. guess not.

He put his anger at Trump above his country. Period. It would have helped Trump/Pence a great deal to be able to argue unity had Cruz simply made a strong statement that we must elect Trump and defeat Hillary. A full-throated endorsement - the word “endorsement” was not required.

I hope he isn’t planning on running in 2020 - people will not forget his BS on this night.

If he runs in 2020 you can be sure I’ll have washed my hands of this man. He has brought shame to the GOP and should relinquish his party membership!

Show me where Reagan endorsed Ford. I don’t remember that. I can’t find it. So, if someone could help me out, that’d be great.

Text of Reagan’s speech:

We must go forth from here united, determined that what a great general said a few years ago is true: There is no substitute for victory, Mr. President.

To me, the “we must go forth from here united” constitutes an endorsement. A soft, mushy, half-hearted endorsement, but still an acknowledgement that the GOP is going forth under Gerald Ford’s leadership and that winning is all that is important. Upon closer reading, though, I’m not so sure. Reagan devotes his speech in praise of the GOP platform. His only nod to Ford is for his personal kindness. This is the way Craig Shirley describes it:

Ronald Reagan’s Remarks at the 1976 Republican Convention

From the looks of it Reagan never endorsed Ford and what we see is a “historian” and his interpretation not factual but opinion.

If I said we must make the best of a situation and move along that does not mean I endorse obama

politics was more naïve then…we were more naïve. Really…was anyone in love with ford? He lost anyway didn’t he? He was the party’s choice. NOT the peoples’ choice. But then, we’ve never had a choice did we. Except with Reagan. It was said he went round the media. I’m not so sure. I think it was a lot of what we see now. And it worked. Same as now. This can work and Trump may be another great American president. And i’m certainly not comparing him to Obama. No need for that. Obama and Clinton were both terrible horrible anomalies in the American tradition of the presidency.

Cruz has made a statement to the texas delegation. little late Ted. You’ve scrud the pooch.

oh…are you listening. Is ted walking back the biggest mistake of his life last nite.

Is he trying to put this on the trump people? Ted. If you are committing political suicide, why should anyone try to stop you from doing that.

Sounding like a walk back to me.

well…principles. ain’t they great.

maybe the Convention people will let him have a do-over.

I wonder.

LOL

OH HELL YEAH. THIS is a walk back.

You guys catching this??

LOLOLOLOL

oh wow. this guy really knows politi-speech.

ted cruz is so full of bull shit it isn’t funny.

And I liked the guy…but DAYAM.

And Ted Cruz said much the same last night.
He also said that people should vote their conscience.

I don’t see the problem. It seems that some, including several posters here, expected him to bow down and kiss Trump’s feet.
That ain’t going to happen. Be happy with “we are more powerful united than divided.”

Why don’t y’all actually read the speech:
Jeers and Boos: Transcript of Ted Cruz’s Speech

He said several things that were a Positive towards Trump.

Read it folks, quit acting on emotion.

Hell, he closed with this:

We will unite the party; wewill unite the country by standing together for shared values by standing for liberty. God bless each and every one of you, and God bless the United States of America. - See more at: Jeers and Boos: Transcript of Ted Cruz’s Speech

No, it isn’t. There was nothing to walk back.

It isn’t what Cruz said - what he said was spot on and what conservatives like myself believe.

The problem was what he did not SAY.

At precisely the time we need all hands on deck to keep Hillary from appointing progressives to the Supreme Court (if nothing else), Cruz declined to say he intended to support Trump. He did not have to say he endorsed him, just that he supported his bid against Hillary Clinton.

I don’t care how Cruz feels about Trump on a personal level. I care that some semblance of unity is necessary to defeat Clinton and deny her the opportunity to appoint Democrat “legislators” to the Supreme Court - at the very least.

This morning’s damage control town hall by Cruz demonstrated that it is all about Cruz - he made it clear this morning his failure to acknowledge his support for Trump/Pence was totally personal. He took the magnanimous gesture offered him last night by Trump and personalized his angst on the floor of the convention. This election is NOT about Ted Cruz and his feelings.

I can understand how he might feel - Trump is derisive and belittling in his commentary (yes, Trump is a jackass) - but if Cruz was unwilling to benefit the Republican ticket he should have stayed home.

Seems to me that this is exactly what he did with the condition of “freedom, constitutionality, tax reform” etc of the candidate selection come Nov.

One shouldn’t be forced to play interpreter in order to determine Cruz’s meaning/intentions. He clearly intended to NOT offer DIRECT verbal support to Trump and at no time did he CLEARLY and UNMISTAKINGNLY state his SUPPORT of the ticket.

Why should he? Don’t forget that Trump was the one to bring the campaign into personal territory, starting with Cruz’s wife, then ending with his dad. Might as well have thrown his kids into it.

He congratulated Trump on his win. He pointed out the stances that Trump has that he agrees with, and contrasted them with Clinton’s. He stated pretty doggone clearly that we are better united than divided. He said people should vote their conscience and not stay home.

Trump read his speech, and gave his “approval.”

In then end, at this point, what difference does it make?

There’s a reason Ted Cruz has no friends in the Senate, and had no friends in college. He’s a petty man, and cannot work with people. There’s nothing new here. When Cruz’s pride is on a collision course with his ambition, pride is going to win every time.

[quote=“CWolf, post:18, topic:49118”]
There’s a reason Ted Cruz has no friends in the Senate, and had no friends in college. He’s a petty man, and cannot work with people. There’s nothing new here. When Cruz’s pride is on a collision course with his ambition, pride is going to win every time.
[/quote]Nonsense. The reason he’s unpopular in the Senate is that he INSISTS that the GOP legislate conservatively and too many prefer legislating as Democrat-Lite. No one else has had the guts to call out Mitch McConnell on the floor of the Senate and call him what everyone knows he really is…a LIAR. Reagan didn’t “endorse” Ford in 1976.

[quote=“Pappadave, post:19, topic:49118”]
Nonsense. The reason he’s unpopular in the Senate is that he INSISTS that the GOP legislate conservatively and too many prefer legislating as Democrat-Lite. No one else has had the guts to call out Mitch McConnell on the floor of the Senate and call him what everyone knows he really is…a LIAR. Reagan didn’t “endorse” Ford in 1976.
[/quote]And yet Reagan had many friends and allies. Because he was good with people. While Cruz alienates people. Including an increasing number of people who once supported him.

I’m immune to it, because I always saw him for exactly what he is, and so my support for him remains unchanged. But those who falsely saw him as something special and more honorable are seeing that image crumble.

As cold, calculating snakes go, Ted is a good one. He’s a snake that I like having in my garden to eat some rats and scare raccoons off. But he’s still a snake. And no one should ever forget that.