Tennessee may vote to stop feeding slow children.

So, because we live in a seemingly Dickensian time, the state of Tennessee is currently deciding whether or not to pass a law about whether to feed slower children. Bill tying student performance to welfare benefits advancing in Legislature » Knoxville News Sentinel I can understand that this bill is aimed at parents who refuse to school their children and pretend to homeschool them but there has to be a better way to come to vote on an issue such as crappy parents. Are we really at a point where we need to vote on feeding children, even the ones falling behind? The least these two Republican representatives could do is buy the poor people of Tennessee a nice Italian dinner, because everyone likes to be taken out for dinner before they get royally and truly screwed. This is just more class warfare against the poor from Republicans. Maybe those politicians should tie their paychecks to performance as well.

The sin lies in providing these free hand outs in the first place, as people like any other mammal will become dependent and will neglect their natural instincts of survival. The free school lunch program, I know, comes from the heart. But like any other freebie, it becomes the target of abuse and corruption, leading to its insolvency, over-priced condition, and detraction from its original purpose. Then, the logical man in the room who says so about this program and wants to reform it to oust the abusers is painted by individuals such as yourself as heartless. For the record, I work at a Title I in Florida, before you begin calling me heartless. I’m currently teaching a kid after school on my own time for free who lives on the streets because he is hiding from his abusive dad and his mom is in prison. He’s one of my favorite people. He is deserving of a free lunch. Among my other students including a kid who told me straight up when I told him he was failing. “Who cares, Mr, I’ll just go on food stamps like my Mom”. See the difference?

Besides:
As amended, it would not apply when a child has a handicap or learning disability or when the parent takes steps to try improving the youngster’s school performance — such as signing up for a “parenting class,” arranging a tutoring program or attending a parent-teacher conference.

So, that cuts out the IEP students, the ESE students, and those whose parents give a darn about their kid’s education. Again from experience, some parents are truly awful to their kids. Maybe this would help get some kids to either take responsibility for themselves or at least get the parents involved.

“Now Florida, didn’t you say your one student doesn’t have parents. What about him?” He is currently a 3.5 GPA student, in the top 10% of class. He is focused and driven. A quality we should instill. We should not reward utter laziness, apathy, and lack of conviction with free food.

[quote=“FloridaLibertarian, post:2, topic:38915”]
The sin lies in providing these free hand outs in the first place, as people like any other mammal will become dependent and will neglect their natural instincts of survival. The free school lunch program, I know, comes from the heart. But like any other freebie, it becomes the target of abuse and corruption, leading to its insolvency, over-priced condition, and detraction from its original purpose. Then, the logical man in the room who says so about this program and wants to reform it to oust the abusers is painted by individuals such as yourself as heartless. For the record, I work at a Title I in Florida, before you begin calling me heartless. I’m currently teaching a kid after school on my own time for free who lives on the streets because he is hiding from his abusive dad and his mom is in prison. He’s one of my favorite people. He is deserving of a free lunch. Among my other students including a kid who told me straight up when I told him he was failing. “Who cares, Mr, I’ll just go on food stamps like my Mom”. See the difference?

Besides:
As amended, it would not apply when a child has a handicap or learning disability or when the parent takes steps to try improving the youngster’s school performance — such as signing up for a “parenting class,” arranging a tutoring program or attending a parent-teacher conference.

So, that cuts out the IEP students, the ESE students, and those whose parents give a darn about their kid’s education. Again from experience, some parents are truly awful to their kids. Maybe this would help get some kids to either take responsibility for themselves or at least get the parents involved.

“Now Florida, didn’t you say your one student doesn’t have parents. What about him?” He is currently a 3.5 GPA student, in the top 10% of class. He is focused and driven. A quality we should instill. We should not reward utter laziness, apathy, and lack of conviction with free food.
[/quote] Ah, In the conservative mind, this is how life works. Nothing improves a childs grades quite like starvation. All this does is put the financial burden of the household more on the kids than the parents and it isn’t fair. An elementary school child shouldn’t have to worry about what they have to do in order to pay the household bills. Here’s an idea, tie political salaries to the unemployment rate. Watch it drop fast, proving they know what to do and just don’t do it.

Two things, we are discussing the free lunch program for low income families, not starving kids. You see that’s the problem. This nanny state mentality has been successful at INCREASING the number of people in that condition because it justifies NOT BEING AUTONOMOUS. This leads to the psychological response of screw it, I don’t need to work, I have everything I need right here. That is unacceptable, that’s right

Second, this is utter nonesense. Poverty is nothing more than a state of being, something you adapt to. One half work their way out of it and become stronger for it. Others decide to put their hands out and demand from others, which the government is only so happy to oblige because it will bring to them a steady reliable vote. We should help those that help themselves (as this program will allow) but we should not oblige the latter.

I grew up in a family where my Dad and Mom combined made $20,000 a year. I had 3 brothers, 2 of them younger. We didn’t have much, trust me. Ever teach a dog to kill rats so they don’t bite you in the night? I woke up every morning at 2am for FIVE YEARS to help my dad deliver newspapers until 7:00. Where I was dropped off at school until 3pm. At which time I went to swimming practice (I needed that for a scholarship to college) until 4:30. On every other day I went to my second job until 10pm at Waldenbooks. The others were dedicated to homework and study. Then maybe slept 3 hours before starting all over again. The easy way out was welfare, and as a kid, I remember screaming at my dad for turning it down. He said he never wanted someone controlling who he was by controlling his survival. That philosophy stuck with me. I graduated went to college, and became a teacher, whose now working at a Title I school. I am financially stable, more so than I ever was as a kid, working my way up (oh btw, you guys may be talking to the new Assistance Principal of my school. Only 28 years old. BOOM!)

So, the financial burden sucks, yes, but it is no excuse to ensnare someone perpetually on the government teet and call it charity. I don’t need food stamps now because I WORKED HARD not because I got a free lunch at school. Such a student would be safe from being terminated from this program. Those that want to have everybody else pay their way in life and not work for what they got are not deserving of charity or pity.

Poverty is nothing more than a state of being? That sounds so philosophical and looks great typed out but what world do you live in dude? If it hadn’t been for the school lunch program I wouldn’t have eaten because of an irresponsible family. On the weekends I was lucky if I was fed a meal a day. And from 4th grade to 7th grade my grades were shoddy so I’d be target demographic for these Republicans. These school lunches unfortunatley is the only food that many kids get. It’s not the students fault that their parents are stupid dumbasses.

You digressing from the subject at hand. The program is not being dissolved, but reformed. The students who do well in school or who even show signs of wanting to improve will not be kicked out of the programs. Those who intend to simply meander through life on the public droll often begin this attitude in high school, as I demonstrated with an example from my school. This reform would at least attempt to give these kids a dose of reality, don’t work and you don’t earn your stuff. That IS a very important lesson for students to learn, regardless of their income status. You want this argument to be about should poor people get free lunches at school. It isn’t. You apparently didn’t read my message, I know VERY WELL what it’s like to be poor.

Typical Liberal spin, the kids are “slow”, not “lazy and irresponsible”.

Slow is a condition, lazy and irresponsible is a choice. I would bet that this idea has no connection to special needs students and their classes but no Extreme Leftist Moocher can stand the thought of attaching ANY conditions to their handouts so they scramble for a way to spin it.

Get off your lazy butt and get a passing grade or drop out and figure out how to feed yourself, rewarding sloth just creates another generation that cannot endure in any employment (without a Union anyway) just some form of a Welfare check.

And this is why your party is losing elections. This “irresponsible and lazy” kid was getting beaten at 6 and 7 years old regularly by a mother who found it amusing. She’d kick the shit out of me and laugh about it. She would pick me up my throat and throw me across the room. Ever been beaten with a belt buckle RET? Guess why my grades were suffering RET? Yeah your right ,at 6 years old I shoulda dropped out , hit the streets and got a job. There are no words for the way you think. Well there are, but they’re all four letters.

This “Bill” has nothing to do with poor 6 year olds getting beaten, it is a crime to beat a 6 year old with a belt buckle so your spin that it is “heartless” to pass this bill but apparently not “heartless” to allow a 6 year old to keep getting beaten by a belt buckle as long as he keeps failing in school and getting a free lunch is even worse than your former spin about “slow” kids.

You have no “heart for the poor”, you have a vested interest in continuing to create an ever growing impoverished, abused and dependent class so your evil leaders can keep winning elections by buying their votes with a free lunch.

Yup, your life sucked. Big time! Think things have gotten better or worse in the last 20 or so years? All the programs in the world will not stop child abuse until after the fact. You got 4 letter words to toss around, send them to your mother. RET didn’t beat you. You have anger issues, point that anger at those around you that knew you were being abused and did nothing. The GOP didn’t know you were being abused. The Democrats didn’t either. The lunch program wasn’t set up as a gift to you because you were being abused. It was set up because the welfare state they started had holes in it and they were trying to plug a few.

1. Our party loses elections when it pulls leftist crap (McCain, Romney). The left loses when it pulls leftist crap (witness the '94 elections after Clinton’s “assault weapon” ban, and the '10 elections after Obamacare (biggest Republican landslide since before WWII).
  2. The vast majority of lazy and irresponsible kids were underparented, not beaten.
  3. I was sexually abused by my father, and my grades reflected it. But I would never allow that as an excuse for sucking on the government teat. Furthermore, I have a heart condition and no medical insurance, yet I would hope that I’m man enough to kick the bucket when my time comes and not to take a dime from the government. So lose the I-know-hardship-and-you-don’t line; as I’ve heard said by others on this site, “that dog won’t hunt.”

What fractures me is that the whole point in feeding kids at school was the argument that hungry kids don’t do well.
Well, they’ve been fed, so the poor grades can’t be due to that.
So, the logical next step is to ask what the problem might be.

Parental involvement! (The same answer that’s held since education was invented. That some children are the exception to the rule does not negate the rule.)

So now that legislators have come up with a plan that will benefit the students - ‘carrot stick approach’, like the article said - people are mad.
Who hates children so much that he wouldn’t want parents to be pushed into helping their own children succeed?

As to the complaint that this doesn’t address problem students whose parents aren’t poor, go cry me a river!
Or, spend your time more usefully by trying to reinstate discipline measures that did.

When something only benefits rich kids, ya gripe.
When something only benefits poor kids, ya gripe.
Some people just like to gripe.

The reality is that there are numerous reasons children do poorly in school, they can’t focus on learning when there is discord in the home, or when they don’t get enough to eat, or when they are being bullied. The list goes on and while RET wants to brush them off as being lazy and irresponsible, you dont know whats going on with each kid and I take offense to his comments.It’s also well documented that kids do better at school when parents are involved in their education. But taking away welfare payments isn’t going to make that happen. Instead, how about requiring that parents attend parent-teacher conferences? Or that students complete homework? Or that parents emphasize the importance of school rules with their children? This brilliant plan these idiots came up with isnt a one size fits all solution.

You also knew about being “poor” - because your Dad couldn’t hold a job - and other reasons.

Maybe if the kids in question went to a GOP backed for-profit school, where grades are rigged by those in power, then the family could eat. Email Directs Teachers To Delete Bad Grades - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

You really want to go there the week after convictions were handed down to the fools in the Atlanta public school system?

The sooner you figure out there is no one size fit’s all solution, the sooner you can start to figure out that the current one size fits all solution sucks and move on. The closer the involvement to the child the better the solution. Nothing from Washington is going to change a thing except the amount of disposable income folks have left at the end of the month. Shut down the Dept of ED and let the states keep their money and deal it out directly to the local school boards.

[quote=“OldStyleBlues, post:1, topic:38915”]
So, because we live in a seemingly Dickensian time, the state of Tennessee is currently deciding whether or not to pass a law about whether to feed slower children. Bill tying student performance to welfare benefits advancing in Legislature » Knoxville News Sentinel I can understand that this bill is aimed at parents who refuse to school their children and pretend to homeschool them but there has to be a better way to come to vote on an issue such as crappy parents. Are we really at a point where we need to vote on feeding children, even the ones falling behind? The least these two Republican representatives could do is buy the poor people of Tennessee a nice Italian dinner, because everyone likes to be taken out for dinner before they get royally and truly screwed. This is just more class warfare against the poor from Republicans. Maybe those politicians should tie their paychecks to performance as well.
[/quote]What the snot?

Seems to me the two welfare programs here, education and food, should not be connected this way. Tying them together when both are sickly and costly is pointless and possibly cruel and self-defeating.

[quote=“Rightwing_Nutjob, post:19, topic:38915”]
Seems to me the two welfare programs here, education and food, should not be connected this way. Tying them together when both are sickly and costly is pointless and possibly cruel and self-defeating.
[/quote] I’m trying to decide if this is one of those rare moments where we’re in agreement.