Texas Bills Would Nullify NDAA's Indefinite Detention, TSA's Intrusive Screening

Texas Bills Would Nullify NDAA’s Indefinite Detention, TSA’s Intrusive Screening

Just another great, informative article from the “fringer” John Birch Society.

YEP!!! Its a Texas thing, you might not understand

"Texas Bills Would Nullify NDAA’s Indefinite Detention, TSA’s Intrusive Screening
Written by Raven Clabough

State lawmakers in Texas are fighting to reassert their citizens’ Fourth, Sixth, and Eighth Amendment rights. Republican legislators have submitted two bills, one to remove the indefinite detention provisions in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), and the other to stop the intrusive screening procedures of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

HB149, the Texas Liberty Preservation Act filed by state Rep. Lyle Larson, targets the most controversial provisions of the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act. The online Huffington Post reports,

HB 149 specifically calls out Section 1021 and 1022 of the NDAA, which were recently subjects of a federal lawsuit filed by plaintiffs concerned that the language within the passages could be used to indefinitely detain U.S. citizens.

In October, a federal appeals court rejected the notion that the indefinite detention provisions found within the NDAA pose a reasonable threat to American citizens and blocked an injunction issued by another judge in May who had determined that the NDAA did not “pass constitutional muster.”

According to the appeals judges, “the public interest” outweighed the concerns raised by the plaintiffs. They determined that “the statute does not affect the existing rights of United States citizens.”

Lawmakers in the Lone Star State disagree. According to HB 149, sections 1021 and 1022 of the NDAA are “inimical to the liberty, security, and well-being of the citizens of the State of Texas" and violate both federal and state constitutions.

HB 149 notes that the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution, which greatly limits the role of the federal government, has been violated as the government has usurped powers that it was not intended to have. It states,

It is the policy of this state to refuse to provide material support for or to participate in any way with the implementation within this state of Sections 1021 and 1022 of the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2012.

Violators of this statute may receive imprisonment of up to a year, a fine of no more than $10,000, or both, according to the bill.

The Tenth Amendment Center notes that Texas is just one in a string of states that has worked to override the provisions found within the NDAA:"[LEFT][/LEFT]

I was being sarcastic with my “fringer” comment.

I love the JBS and the Tenth Amendment Center. They are amazing.

OK, I wondered???

What we need is the 'thank" button turned on and or a few more descriptive icons we could add to our forum, a pic often speaks a thousand words…