"Thank you" tally

With Zedd on board doing some magical coding, perhaps you guys might consider adding, in the right side of the header of post where you have “Join date:”, “Location”, “Posts”, etc. another two numbers: “Thank you’s given”, and “Thank you’s received”. I know it’s possible because I’ve seen some other forums that have it, plus I would guess it’s in your WP control panel.

And, NO, this is NOT an ego thing.

I’ll tell you why it may be useful.

For some time now I have thought that maybe I’ve been a little too liberal with my “Thanks”.

So I’ve been consciously trying to be more discerning.

However, I have no benchmark. IOW, if I was able to see how some other numbers look (some may be more stingy than I’d prefer, some may be more liberal than I’d prefer, but a mean would be instructive), I might get a better idea of where I stood.

Not as much as a benchmark, but it would also be instructive to see how my “given” number compares to my “received” number.

Not an overwhelming concern, so Zedd might place this at the bottom of the priority list, but it would be nice to see.

2 Likes

Thanks Bob, we’ll definitely be updating stats surrounding thanks.

Does that “thanks” count?

More seriously…
Would it be possible to change the “Who’s Online” page to include something more specific than, "Viewing Index?"
i.e.,
2cent - Posting in ‘Site Suggestions and Bugs.’

BobJam - Viewing, “Parents Receive Prison for Death of Their Child”

Fantacy Chaser - Responding to, “What Goes Around?”

I’m thinking you get the gist.

1 Like

If I find myself agreeing with, or being highly amused by a post, I click the button.

I’m not sure, but I think a little of that is done. I know that it displays (or at least used to; I haven’t looked that carefully in recent years) more than just “viewing index.”

This is high on the list for next week. Going to sticky it.

1 Like

I’ve been to forums with this. My wife has the highest + votes on the forum she visits. It is a huge ego thing, lol. Just like post counts are only worse. But that’s not necessarily a reason not to do it. But acquiring and keeping new members is a goal one thing that can intimidate new people are all the big stats for the heavy users which makes it seem like they could never have a place here.

2 Likes

[quote=“Gov101, post:8, topic:42720”]
I’ve been to forums with this. My wife has the highest + votes on the forum she visits. It is a huge ego thing, lol. Just like post counts are only worse. But that’s not necessarily a reason not to do it. But acquiring and keeping new members is a goal one thing that can intimidate new people are all the big stats for the heavy users which makes it seem like they could never have a place here.
[/quote]While I wouldn’t disagree that “Thanks received” could be a “huge ego thing”, if you’d read the OP with a little bit of comprehension, you’d see that the focus is on “Thanks GIVEN”, which is NOT a “huge ego thing”, but rather when compared to that “given” by certain others is a measure of how “free” you are in giving your “Thanks”.

Your focus on “ego” here and elsewhere:

[quote=“Gov101, post:9, topic:43361”]
The level of discussion is often just slightly higher than juvenile and in my opinion mostly amounts to a lot of ego stroking
[/quote]is revealing.

1 Like

Yes the best forum experience I can recall was a little podunk messageboard programmed by the site admin himself that had no features whatsoever, no post counts, no like buttons, no PMs and really no one with special moderator powers. In fact the site owner no longer even visited. Sometimes simplicity works better.

I think gov’s point is a good one. I don’t even know what my post count is – at least till I post this. I do know that my daily average is low. At the same time, it’s interesting to know regardless of whether it strokes an ego. And as far as ego trips go, if someone’s ego tripping from a post count or a thanks count on an Interwebz forum, well, OK. But from that perspective, I’m more interested in my kill and wins count and match performance in SWTOR – and they aren’t nearly as good as I would like them to be.

And regardless of a counter of any kind, the thanks feature is very cool. It quickly communicates when a response might just be redundant.

1 Like

Just upping your tally WIJG!

[quote=“Rightwing_Nutjob, post:11, topic:42720”]
And as far as ego trips go, if someone’s ego tripping from a post count or a thanks count on an Interwebz forum, well, OK
[/quote]SERIOUSLY hanging one’s ego hat on ANYTHING one does on the Internet tells me that one’s self-esteem has reached rock bottom.

I suppose it may be fun or amusing to see one’s “Thanks RECEIVED” count or one’s post count, but if it goes beyond “fun or amusing”, one’s view of one’s self needs a lot more help than one can get from the Internet.

2 Likes

I will accept all major credit cards, cash and checks for thank yous. Checks must clear prior to any button pushing!

5 Likes

[quote=“BobJam, post:13, topic:42720”]
SERIOUSLY hanging one’s ego hat on ANYTHING one does on the Internet tells me that one’s self-esteem has reached rock bottom.

I suppose it may be fun or amusing to see one’s “Thanks RECEIVED” count or one’s post count, but if it goes beyond “fun or amusing”, one’s view of one’s self needs a lot more help than one can get from the Internet.
[/quote]Hey, beating someone else’s electrons with your electrons is a satisfying experience. PVP forever!! It’s as valid as any physical sport or tabletop game achievement :wink: Remember the important things in life, shooting Feddy Bears, Jedi and colonials.

2 Likes

It’d be my guess that means she has paid the price in time and effort put forth and
has earned those votes by making posts that the members found helpful and in some
way a blessing. I hold the position that she ought to be recognized for that achievement
and rewarded for it, and a high vote count posted by her name is one good way for that
to occur, imo. It says that the people appreciate her efforts and her messages. That’s
something to be proud of [in the good sense of the word “proud.”]

So you say.

Tell me, is that true of any type of insignia that separates one group of people
from another group based upon their natural ability, performance, stick-ability,
loyalty, and achievement?

Why do liberals always appear to dislike insignia 
that distinguishes the hard workers from those 
that do not work hard,  and then do such as 
label that insignia as "a huge ego  thing."?

America was NOT built on soft wimpy stuff 
such as that!

There are posters here at RO that have been here since 2008 and they have worked
very hard to produce posts that presented the truth as they understood it to be,
and to present good cheer and good humor. But, on your lights, they should appear
as no different that a “newbie” that has been here 2 days and has 10 posts.

Give a listen:
♫ ♪ ♫ ♫ Sing it! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ … lol …

A posting board needs people that will dedicate themselves to making posts and to
keeping on making posts year after year. You seem to want to see all distinctions
between all posters erased! Marx would be proud! Lenin too.

[Spoken like a true liberal.]

So, on your lights, all the people that have been here at RO posting away since 2005
when the site first was launched ought to have all traces of that fact removed, so that
they wouldn’t appear to be any different
than a newbie that had been here 2 days
with 10 posts? And your reason for wanting to see that is so that the new people would
"not be intimated" … lol …

Oh the poor little shy “eggshells” who may be intimated by the fact that there are posters here who
have 14,000 posts and they only have 14 posts … that’s so hard … that’s so cruel … that’s so conservative …
that’s so anti-Marx … that’s so anti-Lenin … we can’t have any of the poor little darlings intimated now can we?

The fact that they have the identical same opportunity
to post their own 14,000 posts never even crossed your
mind, did it? Why don’t liberals think about things like
this: Individual effort! Hard work! Becoming a “Go Getter.”

The fact that a high post count of good solid posts set before
them as something they could personally put forth the hard
effort to achieve never crossed your mind, did it? **

:cool: Speaking only for myself here → I personally would not even read the sniveling slop
written by anyone so weak and puny that they’d be intimated by the fact that (say) RWNJ
has 14,000 post and they only have 14 posts. The wimps can get off their soft fluffy a$$
and go write their own 14,000 posts.

:diamonds: :diamonds: - :diamonds: :diamonds:

3 Likes

Ha, I’ve been here almost since the inception of the site, and there are a lot of folk who are relatively new who fit right in beautifully. Patricia Reed is newer than Gov101, and she fits in just fine.

1 Like

Exactly!

It allows one to acknowledge a post when there is nothing much else to say other than to simply acknowledge the post.

:diamonds:

1 Like

Eliminates a lot of the

posts that some people complain about. And doesn’t take as long.

2 Likes

If you ever want to see a hilarious nerdrage-fueled riot, have a “rep tally” on a board for a few years, then one day decide to remove the system.

I was an admin on a political message board for a couple years around 2001-2002 or so, and for April Fools we set everyone’s post count down to read “1,” and made an announcement that all user data related to post count was lost. There was probably only 50-60 truly active members that posted every day, and it was new enough that don’t think anyone had even accumulated more than 3k posts , and even then some people got crazy upset over it. Even after the prank had passed, some of arguments sparked by the people who didn’t care about that sort of thing, and the people who were really into it went for weeks and I think a couple were butthurt about it enough to jump ship.

So yeah, lesson of the day: Feel free to put in a “thanks tally” if you want, but if you do, never take it away. People get emotional over that sort of thing :0

1 Like