The 5 Million Green Jobs That Weren't

In 2008 candidate Barack Obama promised to create 5 million green jobs. He laid out a plan to invest $150 billion over 10 years that would advance a clean-energy economy built around biofuels, hybrid cars, low-emission coal plants, and renewable sources such as solar and wind. How many has he actually created?

The Bureau of Labor Statistics began tracking green jobs two years ago, but it counts only how many existed as of the end of 2010. It doesn’t keep a running total of newly created jobs, so there’s no way to tell how many existed before Obama’s election. <!-- /comment-footer-right --><!-- /comment-footer -->

[ATTACH]1702[/ATTACH]

<!-- placeholder for collapsed comment block (inserted dynamically later) -->The 5 Million Green Jobs That Weren’t - Businessweek

One thing we know for sure is that Obama’s green jobs have resulted in spending for technologies that failed and those hired were let go. Of those jobs, so much money was thrown at these projects that it sometimes were in the millions per created job.

<!-- /comment-footer-right --><!-- /comment-footer --><!-- dsq-full-comment -->

<!-- /comment-footer-right --><!-- /comment-footer -->

<!-- /comment-footer-right --><!-- /comment-footer -->

Geen jobs aren’t, simple as that.

As an engineer both mechanical and IT, I love GREEN, but I also have a degree in Business and read and build spreadsheets with the best of them. I just cannot make a financial case for Green when I view it from a full life cycle cost model, the numbers do not work out.

My home sits on top of a hill, faces 182 degrees due S and the wind is ever present, yes I cannot and neither can any sales guys sell me on solar or wind…I only wish.

Billions have been throw at it across the globe and the ROI is at best a weak case

The Brookings Institution also has a tally, but it too goes only through 2010, and of the nearly 2.7 million green jobs it identifies, most were bus drivers, sewage workers, and other types of work that don’t fit the “green jobs of the future” that Obama imagined. The report does zero in on cleantech, which includes the wind, solar, fuel-cell, and smart-grid industries. In 2010, Brookings shows, there were 184,699 such jobs nationwide—up 2,642 since the president took office in 2009.

Virtually the only “Green Jobs” out there are reclassified ordinary jobs. My jobs for the past 32 years could be reclassified as green jobs, since I work with a power supply technology that since the mid-70s took electronics power supplies from 40%-50% efficiency to as high as 90% efficiency. Almost any/all claims the Obama Administration might make about “Green Jobs” are smoke, mirrors and baloney!

I’m moving this thread to a News forum.

So is all this “green” craze just eventually going to go away? Do we absolutely NEED to completely change our lifestyles? Are future generations pretty much doomed if we continue on our current path? The failure of all this “green” Obama crap leaves me worried. I’m obliged to say I’m not happy that they all failed. Obama sucks yes, but don’t we kind of need all this green hoo ha? I mean we needed those jobs obviously, but people didn’t want to buy the goods. Isn’t this NOT a good thing? I mean with the earth’s resources being finite, and the space program cancelled… to fund abortions I guess… I don’t’ know. Just seems like a pretty bleak outlook to me.

I’m not sure about the earth’s resources being finite. I am sure, though, that they are not in as bad shape as the eco-freaks would have us believe. In any case, I’m sure that they are adequate for whatever will be the life of the earth. And if not, if we are eventually forced to go green, so what? Should we struggle now, when the end isn’t even close? The strongest people will survive if we “run out” of resources.

1. Not likely its been around forever almost. I have and AM an advocate, I support it, but I also support me driving a new Lambo at nearly a million dollar a copy, however hard for to justify it here on the ranch which is why I drive a F 350 crew cab, long bed, dually…I could not afford the Lambo, but I still like it. Well its the same thing with green. I live on top a hill, face due S and have a good wind, yet I cannot make an economic case for solar and wind as much as I like them, neither can anyone else. THe first time I saw solar I was in love with it and that was a demonstration in school back in the 50’s, yet in 2012 solar panel are only marginally more efficient than they were then. Today NASA grade panels are about 35% efficient, affordable panels about 24% and cheap ones only about 17%.

Wind only works on large scale generating unless its a windmill on a SHALLOW well. My well it as 628 ft and a windmill will not pull that deep

Lets keep hoping for a “breakthru” if and when that happens we can make the move

1. No not hardly. “peak oil” well we have not hit peak oil yet. Sure oil is finite, so is the sun. We have a solid 100 year supply globally. There are HUGE areas of possible petro that have not even been explored. In fact the possible worlds largest reserves are only sitting a few miles from where I live…MEXICO…No one knows, not even them. But as my buddy a leading consultant in the oil exploration business said: “the oil under Texas does NOT stop at the Rio Grande”. Mexico back in the 30’s passed a law that ALL oil would be state controlled and no outside companies can drill or explore. Mexico has used oil and tourism as its prime source of income and while shallow oil was easy, deep oil is not. Mexico lacks the tech in man or machine to go after deep oil. In fact Mexico just found a field they had to shut down in spite of its BILLIONS and BILLIONS of bbls of oil, because they can drill below about 8000 ft and the law does not allow them to bring in outside companies. I am sure as their oil is drying up sooner or later they will change their laws and go after it…

2. Its not that folks do not want to buy green, I do and many folks I know do, but reality sets it when the range on an electric car is less than 100 miles, has near zero towing ability and cost more than gas cars that from mid 30’s to the low 50’s mpg.

Now add in the complexity of an electric system AND a gas system. Let me tell you that as an engineer who builds critical systems adding this complexity makes little sense. As my buddy who bought the Prius and just out of warranty had to replace the batteries…$4800 bucks…then I asked him just how much mpg does the car really get and was there a savings? Jack is a retired pilot and keeps a log book on everything. His Prius gets between 37 and 43 mpg, he has over 100k mi on it and its average is 39 mpg, 43 on trips. The $4800 would have bought a LOT of gasoline. The problem is no one has show us the public a full life cycle cost model on these things. All we see are phonied up studies claiming equiv mpg at 99 mpg. Yet feed back from drivers does not reflect this.

I could go into a litnay of reasons why not, but you get the pic, its does not work $$$…

1. Our outlook is not just good, in fact its great. We live part of the year in Europe, in fact my wife is over there now. They have and have had for many years small compact diesels that get into the 40’s - 60’s mpg and we are talking about a MB. If I can get it uploaded I will show you a pic of ours…its VERY small. But you cannot buy these over here, the green lobby has kept out the worlds most efficient cars in the US.

The next opportunity is Gas, as in LPG gas. Cars can run on it, have been since the 60 in fleets and its cleaner than gasoline or anything else and we have a 300 year supply.

But the green lobby does not want it and the green lobby is the EXTREME LEFT. The reason why is electric cars provide the govt with ultimate CONTROL over its subjects. They will know EVERYWHERE you go, when you go and most of all they (govt) can control you go! We have that tech now. Govt LOVES electricity as it links you straight to Wash DC and the govt and does so in real time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1718[/ATTACH][LEFT][/LEFT]

deleted[LEFT][/LEFT]

[quote=“17Oaks, post:7, topic:36525”]
. Well its the same thing with green. I live on top a hill, face due S and have a good wind, yet I cannot make an economic case for solar and wind as much as I like them, neither can anyone else.
[/quote]Just as you have done, I too have gone with more efficent products which is not a bad idea. The rub is as we see are those who think we should spend good money on products or technologies that are marginally at best.

The president gives money over seas to develop their resources which we are forced to buy because alternative energy in the U.S. is a joke at best.

Guts, I couldn’t agree more. We’re on a finite earth and need these jobs and these industries/technologies to work. It’ll take thousands of years to form the fossil fuels again. Fresh water is quickly running out. We need to at least TRY to make the slow but steady change to sustainability. A small scale example of this is costa rica, who is either completely carbon neutral or is working towards it.

Yeah. The fresh water thing is disconcerting as well. It’s just disheartening when so many “green” technologies fail. And the hybrid? Pft. I also don’t like the thought of the government keeping tabs on all the driving we do through the electric car. I think the major problem with switching to a sustainable planet, is that some countries just won’t play along, China leading the way. So then everyone else thinks “Why am I suffering when they’re using up resources I could be using too?” I believe get it before it’s gone is the attitude. And although I like the thought of Jesus coming back to rescue us before we deplete our planet of all it’s resources… I’m not keeping my fingers crossed on that one, and I’m very concerned for future generations. I can predict a prevailing version of Christianity still lingering in 300 years; but with a completely revamped Bible and belief system. Or Islam will have taken over the entire planet and mankind will have made absolutely no progress and will be on the brink of extinction, if not already extinct. In fact if the entire planet becomes Muslim, and every country has nuclear weapons, we’ll all be dead, and every living thing - guaranteed. Or the sun will just explode and poof. Or maybe after some cataclysmic event leaving 99% of the earth’s population dead; the remaining numbers will actually work together to build an actual sustainable society. If I KNEW for a FACT that being vegetarian would benefit future generations, I’d switch today. Just nobody else would… and why should I deprive myself when the guy next door is bbq’ing… >.<

Yeah it’ll really have to be a slow education process about how to switch towards sustainability otherwise everyone will be saying, why am I searching when he isn’t. But if it’s slow and people realize the necessity then it’ll happen. Maybe lol

Maybe is right. Millions of people already eat their way into their deathbeds. May as well just all eat ourselves into starvation.