The blizzard of 2011

Listening to the news I hear that there will be 24 inches of snow around Chicago and possibly 12 to 18 inches of snow where I live.

On the other hand it looks like the fear mongering is less than reality when I look outside and I can still see under the bottom of the fence gate.

The news talked about the storm of 67. I was there and unlike that I see cars driving down clear roads and I have not seen or heard a snow plow at all yet today.

So in the meantime the weather channel is promising more snow (it is not snowing at present)

I love the people that race out to the store and empty the shelves of bread, milk and canned foods. Like no matter how bad it gets, you won’t be able to get to the store in a day or two! I can see the folks that live in the middle of no where without plow service, but I’m talking City folks. I remember the Blizzard of '78. Yes we were inside for about 36 hours, but then we walked the mile to the store to get what ever we might have needed. Within 24 hours after the snowfall ends the Interstate and major roads are open in any given area. That means a return of supplies to the stores. Calm down folks! It’s snow! It melts eventually!

It hasn’t snowed here this season. I’m dissappointed.

[quote=“tperkins2009, post:2, topic:29035”]
I love the people that race out to the store and empty the shelves of bread, milk and canned foods. Like no matter how bad it gets, you won’t be able to get to the store in a day or two! I can see the folks that live in the middle of no where without plow service, but I’m talking City folks. I remember the Blizzard of '78. Yes we were inside for about 36 hours, but then we walked the mile to the store to get what ever we might have needed. Within 24 hours after the snowfall ends the Interstate and major roads are open in any given area. That means a return of supplies to the stores. Calm down folks! It’s snow! It melts eventually!
[/quote]I remember the Y2K scare. One of the stores I went to had people buying stuff in such great quantities the shelfs were bare. I had a relative who had stocked up on canned goods and bought sleeping bags and other stuff.

So what happened? I believe I heard an ATM in Britain went down at a bank because of the change of the date and someone sabotaged a little power station as a prank in the U.S.

I just saw a plow come barreling down the street at a high speed. The roads are not even in bad shape. I can see a neighbors car across the street and I can see the bottom of the car’s tires.

Give us an update around 8 - 9pm. Looking at the weather map, I see a lot of snow in your future. That same storm is going to bring me freezing rain. :bored:

[quote=“Bucks, post:5, topic:29035”]
Give us an update around 8 - 9pm. Looking at the weather map, I see a lot of snow in your future. That same storm is going to bring me freezing rain. :bored:

[/quote]It is snowing now and it is expected to last till the middle of tomorrow. Only time will tell if there is any accumulation as predicted.

Yeah, and I have to work tomorrow. Mike said maybe he’d drive me in. He’s a little more confident (not cocky, understand) than I am. I’m just getting too old for this!

Currently sleeting in NW Ohio. Probably have about 8" on the ground now, it’s hard to tell the way the wind is blowing it. I had to detour from my usual way home because of a drift higher then the hood of my car. The national weather service doesn’t have the wind laying down until 6pm. It’s going to be fun tomorrow!

It looks like the storm finally hit. My driveway is covered and I saw the wind actually drove snow under the door of the garage to the point I have piles of snow inside. The wind is causing drifting and I have at least 18 of snow in the driveway. This snow is supposed to keep up until Wednesday evening.

We got an ice storm out of it last night. Not too bad; no damage to the house, the car has a thin layer of ice (melting now), and we never lost electricity. Unfortunately, my night’s sleep didn’t fare as well. I woke up at oh-dark-hundred, was taking a good while to get back to sleep. I was just drifting off when a snow plow stopped in front of our house, and the driver chainsawed a branch off the road. There went the rest of my sleep; BIG nap coming this afternoon…

Got home from work about 1:30 or so, and couldn’t back into the driveway - had to pull in forward. When I was backing, no matter which way I steered, the car wanted to run into the bank. It’s been snowing off and on. The trouble with the driveway is the slush underneath the snow.

I had to go out this morning so I had to remove 18 inches of snow as well as put out the garbage for pickup. Later I tried to go over to my relative to remove his snow but the side streets are not plowed. If it were not for 4 young black men I would still be there. Their help was much appreciated.

Not to rub it in, but right at this moment here in my part of North Carolina,:tongue: it is 70 degrees and sunny, what snow are we talking about??? :tongue: