The Count of Monte Cristo

Didn’t know whether to put this in the book or film thread, as we watched the movie last night that did such an excellent job of portraying the novel. All of which is neither here nor there, as my question is:
Was Edward getting his vengeance and coming out a complete hero in the end a GOOD thing?

Which movie did you watch? They’ve done so many versions. I think that I’ve seen most of them, and I think that the Richard Chamberlain one was the best. Still, no movie can fully reproduce the book, and if you haven’t read the book, I strongly encourage you to do so. It is one of my real favorites, even better than the 3 musketeers novels. And as for Edmond coming out a hero in the end, that was awesome. Ben Bova wrote a novel I believe that it was called “Mercury” set in a future Sci-fi setting which was basically a Monte Cristo rip off, but he had the Count character die in the end. It really stunk, made me feel like there was no justice in the world. Tickle us do we not laugh? Prick us do we not bleed? Wrong us do we not seek revenge?

lol, I’ve read two of your three posts so far and I’m thinking you might want to back off from the caffeine just a bit.

Was Edward getting his vengeance and coming out a complete hero in the end a GOOD thing?

It’s been a while since I’ve read Count, but my memory was that Edmond was sobered at the end. He had gotten his revenge but found it less than satisfying. His wealth and stealth had not enabled him to fully control the progress and outcome of events. And people he cared about had been adversely affected. I pictured it as what a wronged human would do, given near godlike abilities (wealth, loyal helpers and quasi-invisibility). In the end, I think what troubled Edmond most was what he may have become - judgmental, aloof and merciless.

Most of Dumas pere’s books are well done historical action/adventure fiction cranked out to support his rather indolent and indulgent lifestyle. While The Count of Monte Cristo doesn’t lack for a sense of adventure and suspense, it is, IMO, much more thoughtful than his Musketeers and other adventure books.

… I’m thinking you might want to back off from the caffeine just a bit.

Vitamin C, the “Energy Vitamin”.

I enjoyed the Musketeers immensely, (who didn’t?), but you are right; The Count of Monte Cristo had far more depth.
Yes, he had sobered in the end. It left me more satisfied than had he died or become completely wretched. (Oops. I see I’m reusing your words. Not intentionally. Must be that 4 hrs. sleep I’m going on.)
And who of us wouldn’t love to be in his shoes when it comes to getting even?
What troubled me, but not terribly, is that, “Vengeance is Mine”, sayith the Lord, kept flitting around my conscience as I sat there watching it. I’d quickly justify it with the extreme, horrendous treatment he suffered while being guilty of nothing; except naivity, perhaps. Then, when he jumped to conclusions about his fiance, and wouldn’t give her the benefit of hearing her side of the story, it appeared that his desire for revenge was about to lose him not only his true love, but his soul He nearly blew it.
And maybe that right there is the lesson. Getting even is one thing; letting take control of you is another.
Oh well, all’s well that ends well.
He sure made one grand entrance, didn’t he? PERFECT!

I haven’t meant to ignore you. I’m sorry. I saw the later version the other night, but would have to agree that Richard Chamberlain would be better than just about any actor on film. But yes, I’ve read the book. (How else would I know the film followed the novel so well? :wink:)
I guess, in the end, I’m glad he got the ‘bad guys’. Who doesn’t love seeing a wrong righted?
It’s just that I try not to be a vengeful person, and worry what would become of me if I ever went down that path. Afterall, the Count came dangerously close to becoming the very people he loathed.

Yes, I would have to agree with you on that. I thought Dumas handled that part of the book quite deftly though.