The Linguistic Divides of America

Everyone knows that Americans don’t exactly agree on pronunciations.
Regional accents are a major part of what makes American English so interesting as a dialect.
Joshua Katz, a Ph. D student in statistics at North Carolina State University, just published a group of awesome visualizations of Professor Bert Voux’s linguistic survey that looked at how Americans pronounce words. (via) detsl on /r/Linguistics

Read more: 22 Maps That Show The Deepest Linguistic Conflicts In America - Business Insider

Sample:

Thanks, this is really interesting!

Funny how only Texas knows the correct pronunciation of Bowie knife

I thought this one was interesting

A few states dont allow drive thru liquor sales so that probably messed this one up. If they had said drive thru beer stores they might have gotten a better response. We call em beer barns

On the link it shows a link to the full 122-question survey

Ha! I knew they’d have the soda vs. pop vs. cola vs. ??? divide in there somewhere.

“Americans and British are one people separated only by a common language”

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:3, topic:39724”]
Funny how only Texas knows the correct pronunciation of Bowie knife

I thought this one was interesting

A few states dont allow drive thru liquor sales so that probably messed this one up. If they had said drive thru beer stores they might have gotten a better response. We call em beer barns
[/quote]I have seen them here as well as drive through gas stations where one can get liquor. Back when I was young there was on stuff thing as a gas station convenient store. You had mechanics and garages for minor repairs. Now adays I seldom see a man working in a gas station

They forgot “ih”

As in the proper term, which is “pig sticker.”

:howler:

The one about speaking to a group of people - what happened to “you’uns”?

Texan should be the official language of the USA.

No…not that! Anything but that!