The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Blu Ray Extended Edition

I just recieved my copy of the Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring / The Two Towers / The Return of the King Extended Editions) [Blu-ray] (2011), and it was well worth the price (Note: I paid $68.00 with free S/H and no taxes. I think the price fluxuates, and might be higher around Christmas time? The price of $68.00 comes out to $22.68 per movie, which is less expensive than one is likely to pay in a Sam’s Club. $22.68 for a Blu Ray Extended Edition movie is cheap, especially since we’re talking about one of the world’s best selling classics.)

• it has the highest resolution with the best sound and the most extensive collection of special features.

• there are 6 Blu-Ray discs that contain the three Lord Of The Rings movies.

• 9 additional DVD bonus packed with Special Bonus Features

• like the DVD extended edition all three Blu Ray movies are recorded on 2 discs each, so that the video and audio quality would not be degraded

• the audio is superior to other editions, the movies sound track is DTS-HD 6.1 MA

• each movie disc includes 4 additional commentary sound tracks: Director & Writers, the Design Team, the Production and Post Production Teams and Cast commentaries

• all 3 movies have English subtitles

• everything about this Blu Ray Extended Edition is up-grade, there is nothing about this edition not to like, even the packaging is totally up-grade

According to one reviewer:
"This Blu Ray Extended Edition Trilogy is a different Lord Of The Rings movie. While the regular theatrical editions were mind-blowing, the extended cuts of the same films do wonders in fleshing out the story and expanding the characters a lot more.

Several characters that were not much more than background people are shown much more screen time, stories are greatly expanded, other scenes are much more meaningful, and the movies overall have a totally different feel altogether thanks to all of the extra footage that was not included on the theatrical editions.

Now as I watch them, the old editions of them are rendered almost completely obsolete due to the chopped up nature of them.

I sometimes wonder if Peter Jackson grimaced when he had to leave a lot of extra shots out of the movies to fit them onto the theatres when they were released.

The Fellowship Of The Ring has 30 minutes of extra footage included to a length of 3 and a half hours. The Two Towers was extended 43 minutes to a total of 3 hours and 42 minutes and finally The Return of The King is extended by a grand 50 minutes and the ultimate result is a whopping 4 hours and 11 minutes long!

The grand total of all three extended editions is at least an astronomical 11 hours long! This is just the 3 movies themselves, not counting the additional 9 DVD Special Bonus discs."
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring / The Two Towers / The Return of the King Extended Editions) [Blu-ray]

According to another reviewer:
"Between the three theatrically released films, which total 558 minutes (9 hours & 18 minutes), the total amount of additional film for all three special extended versions comes to 124 minutes (2 hours & 4 minutes). This means that all three special extended versions total 682 minutes, or 11 hours & 22 minutes. Between the theatrical & special extended versions, my preference is for the special extended versions. Overall, my rating for all three special extended films is a resounding 5 out of 5 stars."
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring / The Two Towers / The Return of the King Extended Editions) [Blu-ray]

In conection with the Lord Of The Rings, you may find the following interesting:

The Inklings.

J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Two Other Inklings.

** The Inklings **
"The Inklings was a literary discussion group associated with the University of Oxford, England. Its members, mostly academics at the university, included J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Owen Barfield, Charles Williams, Adam Fox, Hugo Dyson, Robert Havard, Nevill Coghill, Charles Leslie Wrenn, Roger Lancelyn Green, James Dundas-Grant, John Wain, R.B. McCallum, Gervase Mathew, C.E. Stevens, J.A.W. Bennett, Lord David Cecil, Colin Hardie, Christopher Tolkien (J.R.R. Tolkien’s son), and Warren “Warnie” Lewis (C.S. Lewis’s elder brother). It met between the 1930s and the 1950s…

Readings and discussions of the members’ unfinished works were the principal purposes of meetings. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, Lewis’s Out of the Silent Planet, and Williams’s All Hallows Eve were among the novels first read to the Inklings.

Inklings readings and discussions were usually held on Thursday evenings in C. S. Lewis’s college rooms at Magdalen College. The Inklings were also known to gather at a local pub, The Eagle and Child, known to them as The Bird and Baby, or simply The Bird. But, contrary to common belief, they did not read their manuscripts in the pub. Later pub meetings were held at The Lamb and Flag across the street, and in earlier years the Inklings also met irregularly in yet other pubs, but The Eagle and Child has kept the cachet."

Inklings - Tolkien Gateway

I have the extended editions on regular DVD. Occasionally I do a marathon and watch all three. They were wonderfully done.

I have the extended editions. I think they flow a lot better than the theatrical versions.

Bluray version?! :drool: I have that dvd box set special extended edition. The packaging is really nice, and the extra footage great.

`
It is common knowledge that J.R.R. Tolkien was a devout Christian [Catholic] and that
he has repeatedly declared publically that his The Lord Of The Rings was written in the
context of “his allegiance to Christ and to the Church” and he has publically described
The Lord Of The Rings as a " “fundamentally religious and Catholic” work.

For anyone interested in pursuing The Lord Of The Rings as a Christian work:

Why Tolkien Says [The Lord of the Rings Is Catholic.]

20 Ways “The Lord of the Rings” Is Both Christian and Catholic

Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings: A Christian Classic Revisited

I would certainly NOT agree with much of what is written in those links up there.
I think a lot of what is written is quite a stretch, yet there is no doubt in my mind
that the writer of The Lord Of The Rings was a sincere Christian man and no doubt
that his The Lord Of The Rings has many Christian [Christendom] themes woven
into the story.

♫♫