The Me-Too Movement - Is Merit and Skill on the Job Important?

Kelly Willing to Step Down Over Accused Aide, Officials Say Excerpt:

]WASHINGTON — John F. Kelly, the White House chief of staff, told officials in the West Wing on Friday that he was willing to step down over his handling of allegations of spousal abuse against Rob Porter, the staff secretary who resigned in disgrace this week over the accusations, according to two officials aware of the discussions.

Forgive me, but I don’t know what Rob Porter’s nastiness as a husband or significant other has to do with his skill on the job. It seems that “sensitivity” has overriden other considerations for evaluating our elected and appointed officials. I can see its importance for a chief elected leader; they are supposed to set an example for others. But the people can make that decision. I can see its importance for, say, a doctor in direct physical contact with young gymnasts.

But we seem to have reached a period now where merit matters little and political and behavioral characteristics overrides (I don’t want to say “trumps”) all else. If we found out that Jonas Salk was a misogynist would that diminish the value of the polio vaccine? Would we have deprived him of the use of a lab at the University of Pittsburgh to do his work?

Ty Cobb was a notoriously nasty individual. Would we have deprived him of a spot on the Detroit Tigers? Alexander Hamilton was notoriously unfaithful to his wife. Need I say more?

I think we should balance what a person has to offer with their negatives as a person. And not go to absolutes of keeping people with bad aspects out of all employment, not to say public life.

His job occupies a social domain where his Chief responsibility is navigating/managing human relationships and hierarchies.

A poor hand at home, bring on questions as to how he deals with stress at work, or even if his stress at work is what is driving his behavior at home.

Which is a scientific domain; human relations matter far less.

Disagreeable people do well in Sports; his attitude is a nigh-virtue in that domain.

I’d never vote for him. Just like I’d never vote for Newt Gingrich.

This isn’t just “any” employment, it’s a social domain, within politics, which colors the Whole White house if allowed to remain.

Politics is like, 90% optics. You’d be lucky if even 5% was about competence.

Except, AS, the ONLY thing he’s been publicly accused of by his ex’s is ONE claim that he hit his wife and gave her a black eye ON THEIR HONEYMOON! The other ex says he once “pulled me out of the shower” and was verbally and “emotionally abusive”, whatever the hell THAT is. The ex-wife even admits that HE took the first picture of her swollen eye and she took a “selfie” several days later showing the bruises. Why would HE take the first photo if not as evidence of his wife’s injury to support a future lawsuit for their hotel’s negligence? It’s EASY to surmise why his ex wife would make a spurious claim that he’d punched her after their divorce when asked by the FBI…to sabotage his career in politics because he’s gone on without HER. My own wife got a black eye by hitting her head on an open cabinet door she failed to see. It LOOKED like it was from a punch, but I assure you it wasn’t. My son got a busted lip when I was giving him a ride to school. He was singing and something came on the radio about an incident in Vietnam. I reached my right had across to put my hand in front of his face to stop him so I could hear the radio and inadvertently hit him in the mouth instead…completely by accident.

I fail to understand how “pulling me out of the shower” constitutes “domestic abuse.”

No, it’s both his Ex-wives:

The second also took out a restraining order on him.

It was his ex-girlfriend who got this whole ball rolling.

Here again , as I have been discussing in various news forums, what has happened to due process? Frankly I have seen more ladies creating more trouble for men that is actually necessary and men usually don’t get ‘due process’ and they wind up with a serious black make on their names. Kelly depended on FBI investigations and apparently these two men were given clearances. So how is Kelly at fault? For liberals due process only should happen to them, not to mr and mrs America.
It is not a case of whether these two were guilty of any social infractions, it is were they ever convicted of infractions.

Nonsense. Many divorce lawyers routinely request a “restraining order” as part of their “case” against their client’s opponent. It doesn’t necessarily mean that their opponent was ACTUALLY abusive or that their client needed the court’s “protection.” Please explain how “He pulled me out of the shower” constitutes “abuse?”

Baseless political claims do not get traction anymore because Trump fires right back with both barrels and does not apologize when he has done nothing wrong.

So the new tactic is baseless abuse claims and the imbecilic narrative that “women don’t lie and could not possibly have any reason to do so”.

Every Liberal claims that those who disagree with them should be censored because they are “offended” and that constitutes “verbal abuse”.

When you have no legitimate argument you need such tactics to avoid being exposed as a mental midget.

The answer however is the same for those who find themselves targets of these accusations, fire back with both barrels and do NOT “apologize” or “resign” if the allegations are not credible.

It took decades for a candidate who understands how to respond to these tactics to get nominated in the GOP, now we will see how long it takes for the Party to learn the same lesson with the “me too” incarnation of this tired tactic.

The first time he called me a “fucking bitch” was on our honeymoon. (I found out years later he had kicked his first wife on theirs.) A month later he physically prevented me from leaving the house. Less than two months after that, I filed a protective order with the police because he punched in the glass on our front door while I was locked inside. We bought a house to make up for it. Just after our one year anniversary, he pulled me, naked and dripping, from the shower to yell at me.

Dave, you can be political on this all you want. I don’t care. I’m not saying this to color Trump in any way.

The fact is, the man has problems, likely some sort of high trait neuroticism, and the nature of politics means Trump has to let him go.

I’m saying Porter has a problem, he used his career as an excuse to cover it up, and so he should be let go. And he was. Trump made the right call in my eyes.

My wife just reminded me that I once blacked HER eye when thrashing around in the throes of a Vietnam nightmare shortly after we were married. I even took a (black and white) photo of it. I’ve yelled at her on occasion, too (though not too much in the last 25 years or so.) Still, we’ve been married for 51+ years now because we BOTH recognize that the other is a human being with human failings and we love each other…which is why we married in the FIRST place.

It’s really easy for a local police officer applicant to wash out in a background check over relatively minor things. They’ll lose their jobs for minor crimes that wouldn’t cost most of us our jobs. They are held to high standards. They ought to be. I think folks who work in the president’s office should meet a similarly high standard. If true, this dude shouldn’t be working in the White House.

Rush Limbaugh, who is correct 99.7 percent of the time, said throughout Clinton presidency: “Character counts.”

Yet this isn’t the most important issue in this story. The following is:

Spot on. It’s an allegation. If it’s not true, then no, he shouldn’t have resigned. We have folks here defending the guy’s job as if he were guilty and should still keep it. Others no doubt consider him guilty without due process.

We have a whole subculture in this nation dedicated to the idea that the female victim is always telling the truth about abuse – just absurd.

Alexander Hamilton was Federalist scum. (I just wanted to say that.)

And Ty Cobb is a sports figure not working in the highest governmental office in the country, the office of “the leader of the free world.” It’s up to the owner of the team, the coach and the fans to decide what they think.

Hahahahahaha. You’re optimistic.

That is not remotely the same thing as the accusation. What you did was involuntary. What he is accused of doing, if accurate, was deliberate intentional and voluntary abuse.

Yet all we have to go on is HER word as to what happened and the puny excuse for “abuse” described by his second wife which wouldn’t count for “abuse” in ANY court I ever heard of. We’ve not heard HIS version of the stories at all…and don’t forget that “ex’s” are notorious for making up crap about their former spouses. It’s just another way to get back at someone they feel may have “wronged” them in some way…often the ONLY way an ex-wife can get revenge for some perceived wrong.