The mexican mormon war

The Mexican Mormon War | VICE News | VICE

Pretty heavy stuff. The more you know.

Wow. Thanks for sharing, Brennan. Yes, heavy. Pretty unnerving, too.

If that film doesn’t convince people that the War on (some) Drugs isn’t only an utter failure, but the cause of a great deal of strife, nothing will.
I don’t want to start that circular argument that goes nowhere - as in legalizing all prohibited drugs - but there definately HAS to be a better way. Like the guy said, as long as the U.S. provides the swimming pool, Mexico will provide the diving board.

FWIW, considering Mitt Romney’s stance on drugs and illegal immigration, I guess ya can’t blame him for cutting his familiar ties w/family from Chihuahua.

[Interesting tidbit - to me, maybe not to you. The Mennonite immigrated to Chihuahua, Mexico, at about the same time the Mormons did. I wonder why, as it certainly wasn’t to practice polygamy. Makes me think the Mormons weren’t the only ones suffering religious persecution at the time. Oh well. Just thought I’d throw that out there.]

Problem is that I don’t think Americans care much about the violence that occurs in Mexico. If American citzens experienced this type of violence in their hometowns they would have put an end to the drug war by now.

I imagine this will come up during the election. I wonder how it will play out?

I find it incredibly Sad that only one person found this interesting enough to comment.

It is here, it’s being ignored like maybe it will just go away.

First off, Bremen, my apologies for calling you, “Brennan.” I don’t know what caused that booboo, but thanks for seeing the subject matter of more importance than the stoopie on my part.

Hmm. I’m not sure what you mean by “this” when you say it’ll come up during the election. Do you mean the immigration problem and the drug problem in general? Or the connection Romney has to the Mormons in Chihuahua?

If it’s the latter, I don’t think it’ll be an issue. If the former, then for sure at least immigration will come up.
How will it play out? Obama will lip serve and talk generalities about how we have to be “fair” and “diverse.” How that translates into being “tolerant” and “inclusive”, has always left me in the baffled column, but a LOT of people will buy it.
Romney, otoh, will lip serve those who prefer stricter immigration laws; and most likely bring up the fact that with so many U.S. citizens out of work already, we can hardly afford a ‘guest worker’ program at this time.
Just a guess. :wink:

What’s so sad about what you brought up - THE VIOLENCE - is that it won’t be an issue. As Natstew pointed out, it IS already happening - and in GREAT ABUNDANCE on our side of the border - but is so non or under-reported that you ARE right that people don’t care about the violence - on either side of the border - because they don’t know it’s happening!!
What’s about worse is that even when they ARE told by U.S. gov’t officials, “Don’t GO there! It’s DANGEROUS!”, they do so anyway. And not just individuals, but cruise ships that, although forewarned, go there anyway, and allow their guests to disambark into well-know danger areas, the the clueless wonders come back shocked that they were robbed. (Sometimes I have to wonder how “shocked” the cruise liner is. :wink:)

Apologies for going a bit off the track, but point being, nobody’s heard about the U.S. ranchers going to jail for shooting illegals for stealing THEIR cattle, destroying their fences, raping their women, running amok.
Nobody’s heard of the border patrol agents who’ve been shot dead by illegals coming across the border, or the agents held guilty for doing their duty to protect and defend the border.
Nobody’s heard that it is we in the U.S. who SUPPLY these drug cartels with all the guns and money neccessary to keep their ‘action’ going are the VERY CAUSE of the whole damned mess!

The dumbest mistake the U.S. has made in this whole sh’bang is going by the belief that they could clear up the problem by destroying the market via attempting to convince kids before they try them that "drugs are bad."
How’s that worked out so far?

I’ve long since been convinced that if the most powerful nation on earth REALLY wanted to rid the the lowly cartel’s of their ‘business’, they would have long since done that by now.

I find it ironic that Romney’s family are actual mexicans with he being a first generation citizen and his position on immIgration.

The power of the cartels could be ended tomorrow with the end on prohibition of drugs. Just as the alcohol is no longer provided to market by criminals, drugs can as be provided in the same fashion. They will also be safer. The companies who will provide the drugs will be responsible for the products they sell therefore the concentrations and purity will be guranteed. The legimate sellers will crowd out the criminals and when shady practices take place like selling to children the full extent of the law can be used against those violating law. This is in stark contrast to the black market where children are used as pushers and intentionally made addicted to further the criminal’s goals.

I just wish that the people of the world will one day realize that liberty can solve problems faster and better than centralized power.

My husband was born in Mexico under almost the exact same circumstance as Romney, and has the exact same stance: Do it legally, like we did, or get the ‘f’ out!
Do you BLAME them?

The power of the cartels could be ended tomorrow with the end on prohibition of drugs.

Possibly.

Just as the alcohol is no longer provided to market by criminals, drugs can as be provided in the same fashion. They will also be safer. The companies who will provide the drugs will be responsible for the products they sell therefore the concentrations and purity will be guranteed

That is where we part ways. If I were one to imbibe, I’d prefer to grow my own, thank you very much. But in the same token, I prefer to grow my own Bell Pepper plants. However, if I could not grow my own, it’d be nice if there was a market that could sell me some, much like liquor stores sell liquor.

The legimate sellers will crowd out the criminals and when shady practices take place like selling to children the full extent of the law can be used against those violating law. This is in stark contrast to the black market where children are used as pushers and intentionally made addicted to further the criminal’s goals.

On THAT, we can wholeheartedly agree.

I just wish that the people of the world will one day realize that liberty can solve problems faster and better than centralized power.

Decidedly. After all, it was once, darn it all!