The Moral Disintegration of Jimmy Carter

The Moral Disintegration of Jimmy Carter
By Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
08/11/14 10:00am

For years I have been defending Jimmy Carter against charges of anti-Semitism. Maybe I just didn’t want to believe that a President of the United States – the freest country in the world – could dislike Jews.

So I chalked up his animus toward Israel and his awful accusations of Israeli apartheid to a faulty moral compass. Even the other day on NewsMax TV my friend Steve Malzberg asked me point blank if Jimmy Carter is an anti-Semite and I said no, blaming his inane statements on Israel to his being what Vladimir Lenin described as ‘a useful idiot.’

… Mr. Carter’s recent accusations of Israeli war crimes, his demand for a United Nations investigation into Israel’s actions in Gaza, and his call for Hamas – a genocidal terror organization – to be recognized as a legitimate political partner by Israel is making it near impossible not to ascribe to Carter some nasty feelings toward the Jewish state.

Where is Mr. Carter’s call for the world to recognize the legitimacy of Al Qaida or the Taliban? Why isn’t Mr. Carter calling on Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan to recognize the legitimacy of Boko Haram? Why is it only the Jews who have to recognize the legitimacy of the terror organizations sworn to their annihilation?

… But notwithstanding all the damage to his credibility, … he remains obsessed with the Jews and Israel. While ISIS is trying to carry out the slaughter of Yazidis and Christians in Iraq, while Libya descends into a hellish morass of violence, and while hundreds of thousands die in Syria, Jimmy Carter remains fixated on the crimes of the Jewish state.

Mr. Carter always subscribed to what my friend Michael Scroccaro calls ‘Underdogma,’ a knew-jerk reaction to champion the cause of the underdog however immoral the party. Poverty dictates virtue and weakness dictates righteousness. So, if the Israelis have jets and the Palestinians only rockets then that must necessarily mean that the Israelis are the aggressor.

Mr. Carter’s underdog obsession is what motivated him to legitimize Fidel Castro and take his side in a bio-weapons dispute with the United States and to praise North Korean dictator Kim Il Sung with the words: “I find him to be vigorous, intelligent,…and in charge of the decisions about this country.” This is the Korean dictator who, together with the tyrannical son who succeeded him, starved to death about 3 million of their own people. Carter added absurdly, “I don’t see that they [the North Koreans] are an outlaw nation.” He … said of murderous Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceaușescu, “Our goals are the same: to have a just system of economics and politics . . . We believe in enhancing human rights.”

Carter has recognized, publicly, that ISIS is a threat to peace. But in comparison to his loony pronouncements regarding Israel, ISIS is, to him, a concern, while Israel is an obsession. The disproportion is so perverse as to be in the neighborhood of evil.

This is a 2014 article, but Carter’s pronouncements have not been refocused. Were Israel forced, again, to respond vigorously to Pali rocketings, Carter would see only imagined Israeli “crimes”.

The term “Underdogma” captures some significant insight. Many Libs/Progs see only who they think has greater power and condemn that party, not whose causes and actions are right or wrong.

I read Carter’s book Peace Not Apartheid. It is a masterwork of delegitimization of the State of Israel as a Jewish State. The book starts with a “timeline” that purports to show that prior rule by the Hebrews was around 100 years. Then the book goes on to perpetuate stereotypes of Jews as being arrogant and stubborn. One of my politically oriented friends thinks that Carter turned against the Jews when 40% of them voted for Reagan or Anderson in 1980. I think he’s being too charitable. I think he was always a Jew-hater and kept that under wraps while serving as Georgia governor and as President.