The most powerful earthquake!

…to ever hit the lower 48 was where and when?

:grin:

The Mississippi Valley earthquake of 1812?

I was going to say San Francisco in 1906 but you are right about the New Madrid earthquake.

New Madrid earthquake

I knew only because I happened onto a show about it on Discovery Channel a couple of days ago. I always thought it was the 1906 quake too.

There is an area along the IN-KY border near Evansville, IN where the course of the Ohio River was shifted due to that earthquake. The river, which was the originally established border, was shifted to the south. As a result, there is a section of land north of the Ohio River that is actually and officially in the state of KY. A horse racing track, Ellis Park, is located there.

I used to live in Evansville and was born/raized just 30 miles north of there.

I thought it was when Rosie tripped and fell as she was picking up her bag of Ding Dongs.

[quote=“Elmira_Viking, post:6, topic:9006”]
I thought it was when Rosie tripped and fell as she was picking up her bag of Ding Dongs.
[/quote]Rosie is a bag and a ding dong.

It made the Mississippi run backwards for 2 days.

I think that was caused by the water flowing into valley that became a large lake in Tennessee.

That covers the south, but why did it flow North farther up north like in St Louis.

My guess is that would be related to what I stated earlier about the Ohio River near Evansville beng diverted further south. That’s not too far from where the Ohio flows into the Mississippi. If it was flowing back up into the Ohio just north of where the Ohio flows into it, that could possibly account for it.

I dont know why it did, I just know that it did.

Dern, you people are quick! :frown:

I saw this stuff on the History Channel Sunday night and I thought I’d take the chance that no one else did. :biggrin:

I was also interested in how many aftershocks there were that were near the same intensity of the biggest quake. The show I was watching said the first quake actually hit in Dec. of 1811 and there were over a thousand aftershocks well into 1812 after that.

There were geysers spewing sand and water and other odd natural results…new lakes and such.

I think St. Louis is too far north of where the Ohio joins the Mississippi for that to be the explanation. Possibly just the upheaval of the earth, if such there was, caused it.

Land upheaval is probably as good of an explanation as any. Here is the map that shows where the Ohio joins the Mississippi. The yellow pin up in the right corner is where I’m at.

Before the public schools were dumbed down, they used to teach us regional history starting in grade school.

Was everyone watching the history channel on Sunday?:grin: I saw that show too. Actually I heard about those quakes a year or 2 ago. It’s quite surpriseing if you have never heard of them before.

I don’t remember specifically hearing about the quakes, but I knew there was a nasty fault in that area.

I was first taught about them when I was in grade school (1968 to 1974). Outside of the midwest, most people are completely ignorant of the 1812 event.

Quakes weren’t common for us but, when they occurred, even relatively small ones were felt for very long distances. I remember feeling a 4.0 to 4.5 quake with an epicenter that was well over 100 miles away in western Illinois approaching the St. Louis area. In fact, it was strong enough shake our house in southwestern IN.

My pre-teen sister was left in charge while dad ran to the store. I was about 5 or 6 years old. Dad had always taught us that if the house caught fire or the furnace blew up, etc. we were supposed to go to cherry tree at the back end of our back yard. He felt the quake while at the store and hurried home. When he got home, there we were–all three of us were standing under the cherry tree.:rofl: My sister had assumed that the furnace blew up.

I remember another one when I was about 10 years old that literally shook me out of my chair while I was watching TV.

In 1987, I was working hospital security in Evansville. There was a 4.0 quake in south eastern Ill about 70 - 80 miles away. I was on the bottom floor of a new five story section og the hospital. I felt the floor moving back and forth under my feet with about a half-inch of movement. It lasted about 30 seconds. I heard the building creaking and popping all around me. I got the hell out of there as fast as I could.