The Next Silicon Valley will be Conservative

Conservatives make up a minority in Silicon Valley (anyone lived there should know) - but what happens if they are pushed out by their ultra-liberal workplaces? I bet a new hub for tech may spring up and attract a larger Conservative group of engineers, the ones afraid of job security while in the Liberal stranglehold.

In Silicon Valley it’s: “Bring your whole self to work” … “but not the Republican, Libertarian, free-market, small government, anti-wealth redistribution parts!”

Much that Silicon Valley companies do - manufacturing - was driven out of the Valley (my home for nearly 40 years) and out of the US in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. Silicon Valley has been largely engineering, sales/marketing, and manglement for decades. It has reached the point - note the usage of past tense - where some companies are having trouble recruiting entry-level engineers. My previous employer is near the end of moving their operations out of Silicon Valley for that very reason. The big driver of the current exodus is housing costs. Imagine trying to recruit a young EE or CS grad and telling them, “By the way, you won’t be able to afford to rent an apartment in Silicon Valley. You’ll have to live 1 or 2 hours drive from your office.”

So portions of companies and their people are already locating outside of Silicon Valley. What this article describes is true, on a broad-brush level. There are noteworthy exceptions - my previous and current employers being among them, and I could think of more that would be apolitical or conservative-friendly. Since I work in the Valley, I’m not going to name names, RO being pretty much publicly viewable. Which does mean what it seems to mean wrt the overall atmosphere of Silicon Valley.

Individual conservative tech, marketing/sales, and manglement people have no doubt fled the Valley. And that is talent that has gone elsewhere. How large that political viewpoint exodus is and will be and how visible it is and will be will be very uncertain, because it is happening within a larger long-term similar trend.

Good point about the other exodus trend due to house pricing. Why stay in a place that costs so much and openly disrespects and will marginalize you for your conservative viewpoints?

Maybe it’s time for Texas, sans-Austin which is pretty liberal, to start attracting that talent directly in this current career-threatening environment.

I can’t understand the housing costs when they seem to be doing so much to make the area unmarketable.

On one hand, profitable companies need facilities, increasing the costs of land and construction. On the other, no-growth governance and milking the @#$% out of developers elevates development costs even farther, and creates artificial scarcity. IIRC, the SF Bay Area has built half the housing units its growth needs. Scarce supply and growing demand result in high prices.

And ultimately collapse the local economy.

Telework. The next big thing.