The Obama Family Trip To Africa To Cost $60 To $100 Million

President Obama and his family will be going to Africa later this month. But the trip won’t be cheap; it’s expected to cost American taxpayers $60 to $100 million, according to the Washington Post.

“When President Obama makes his first extended trip to sub-Saharan Africa later this month, the federal agencies charged with keeping him safe won’t be taking any chances. Hundreds of U.S. Secret Service agents will be dispatched to secure facilities in Senegal, South Africa and Tanzania. A Navy aircraft carrier or amphibious ship, with a fully staffed medical trauma center, will be stationed offshore in case of emergency,” reports the Post.

“Military cargo planes will airlift in 56 support vehicles, including 14 limousines and three trucks loaded with sheets of bullet-proof glass to cover the windows of the hotels where the first family will stay. Fighter jets will fly in shifts giving 24-hour coverage over the president’s airspace so they can intervene quickly if an errant plane gets too close.

Read More at Weekly Standard . By Daniel Halper.

The Obama Family Trip to Africa to Cost $60 to $100 Million

That’s … . /speechless

That sounds pretty average. Why is it news? Whenever any president goes somewhere, they send a detail. President Bush had over four hundred sorties fly 150 missions in the first two years alone.

It’s Tanzania.

“In 1999, GAO estimated the incremental costs, including per diem and related expenses, of presidential trips in 1998 to Africa, Chile, and China to be at least $42.8 million, $10.5 million, and $18.8 million respectively.”

Africa sure is expensive…for what?

It’s big and dangerous? The borders are almost suggestions with rebels fighting the “governments” all the time. Adjusting for inflation, the 1998 presidential trip would cost over $60 million today, right in the lower range given in the article. So average, maybe a bit above average. And against I ask why it’s news.

I think you missed my point. Why does the POTUS need to travel there? What justifies that expense?

Foreign relations or some other such jazz, I’d guess. We sell them weapons all the time, and then they fight with those weapons.

In other words, no reason.

Homesickness? :smiley:

I am sorry Trekky but at a time when our economy is less than perfect now and cuts need to be made, now is not the time to be making 60-100 million dollar trips for no reason. It is not a matter of Obama doing it but I would protest any president making such a trip. Does it not piss you off to know that that much waste is being put on the american people for a luxury trip? now if h pays half of it then i am fine with him taking the trip(some what) but that much waste is ridiculous.

I’m more concerned with billions of dollars of waste in the defense budget, which I guess at least part of which is being used to spy on American citizens, what with this NSA scandal. In light of that, the presidential protection detail looks like nickels and dimes.

Broken Window Theory, Trekky. Gotta deal with all the small things in order to clean up the bigger stuff. Don’t put up with any of it!

Yet more frivolous spending from this administration. Absolutely ridiculous.