The Poor Get Poorer: 3 Character Traits That Undermine Prosperity

url=http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2012/09/20/the-poor-get-poorer-3-character-traits-that-undermine-prosperity/?singlepage=true]The Poor Get Poorer: 3 Character Traits That Undermine Prosperity
by Kathy Shaidle
PJMedia.com/lifestyle
9/20/12

Throughout the West, many of us (right and left) are wasteful, indulgent, and entitled, with no sense of history and no thought for the future.

All very true.

However, it’s equally true that our “character undermines our wealth.”

That is – to turn Hawkins’ telescope the other way around – the way many Westerners live keeps them “poor.”

Laziness

Well, my mother might have been a high school dropout, but she was a workhorse who went to a hotel job she hated every morning at 5 a.m. and wasn’t a boozer or a crackhead who spent her off hours in nightclubs picking up and bringing home strange dudes.

In other words, my mother didn’t have a lot going for her but she made the very most of what she had, in a determined and almost ostentatious manner. …

… I was the only one whose mother worked (for a pittance admittedly) while the rest were on welfare.

Sense of Entitlement

In today’s (North) America, there is little financial incentive to better oneself anyway, thanks to “entitlements” that are (involuntarily) paid for by harder-working, more responsible citizens.

Poor Impulse Control

Poor people typically spend what money they have on lots of cheap, disposable junk on a whim, instead of saving up for one good thing.

They’ll tell you they “have to” give their kids powdered milk, but that’s only because they’ve already spent all their (I mean, taxpayers’) money on booze, drugs, cigarettes, lottery tickets, manicures, hair weaves, bingo cards, and tacky club clothes.

A fourth attitude I’d add would be Surrendering Without Fighting. Fill in the blank line with the appropriate bogeyman: The ________ gonna keep you down! Getting a decent education, working, earning advancement rather than taking short-cuts, and not doing stupid short-sighted things will take anyone a long way!

This actually may be able to incompass all the above listed, but I want to add Lack of desire. I think a lot of those “poor” people just don’t want anything better for themselves, which therefore leads them to act like the above.