The problem with polls

The problem with polls, the dirty little secret, is that some folks refuse to be polled. I am one of those people. There is no way to know which way my tribe leans until the only polls that matter take place.

Not only that, but too many polls choose a demographic to poll that they know will give them the results they want.

[quote=“Susanna, post:2, topic:47846”]
Not only that, but too many polls choose a demographic to poll that they know will give them the results they want.
[/quote]I think though that with widespread use of cell phones and caller ID polls are completely corrupted out of the randomness required. The reason I refuse to be polled is only secondarily that I am kind of cranky. These days I don’t answer any call I can’t ID and a pollster won’t bother trying to leave a call back number. Randomness is crucial to polling. The whole thing is beginning to fail.

Latest poll 2/3rds of americans want illegal immigrants.

[quote=“samspade, post:4, topic:47846”]
Latest poll 2/3rds of americans want illegal immigrants.
[/quote]I have no idea what poll you are referring to but the point is that if the folks polling have no clue about the randomness of the samples it is useless.

I would not be surprised at all for Trump to be thumpted thoroughly in his first attempt.

If that were the case Trump would be polling in single digits (or less)

I was pointing out the absurdity of polls and as we know they can be skewed to get results or just out and out lies as to the outcome. How many times have we heard some politician say that polls show people are in favor of something while actually polls show just the opposite?