The Punditty Project joins the discussion

Greetings,

I’m a political writer/editor for the website Allvoices.com, where I administer a political writing contest called The American Pundit. I can’t post links yet, so I will just say that we welcome well-written columns from people of all political persuasions.

I cast my first vote in 1984, at age 20 (Gary Hart in the 1984 Missouri caucuses) and have voted for members of several parties since then, including Democrats, Republicans, Greens and Libertarians. I am currently registered as a Libertarian and voted for Gary Johnson in the last election. I don’t agree with a lot of what the Libertarians stand for, just as I don’t agree with a lot of what the Democrats, Greens or Republicans stand for, but I thought Johnson was the most qualified candidate for the job in 2012.

Having said that, I will go down the line and answer the introduction questions.

1. What state do you vote in?

California

1. Are you, or were you ever a member of the armed forces?

Yes, Army National Guard, 1984-1990

1. Does your username have any meaning?

Yes, my Allvoices.com user name is “Punditty,” and I use “The Punditty Project” in several online incarnations.

1. What are 3 or more of your favorite books (not necessarily in order)?

That’s impossible to answer since I’ve enjoyed so many, so I will answer with a twist on the question. In 2012, I began listening to audiobooks while driving (everyone needs a break from politics sometimes, right?) and have listened to about 25 since then. I will list my three favorites, in order.

“11/22/63” by Stephen King. Not only is the storyline among King’s best, Craig Wasson does an excellent job as narrator. There’s a section at the end where King talks about his own personal beliefs regarding the JFK assassination.

“East of Eden” by John Steinbeck. I read several Steinbeck novels when I was younger, but not “East of Eden.” Listening to it in the fall of 2012 provided an experience worthy of the term “epic.”

“The Omnivore’s Dilemma” by Michael Pollan. I didn’t know there was so much I didn’t know about eating.

1. What is the most important topic for you in the next election?

That’s a tough one, but I think in the big picture we as a nation need to find a more efficient way of reaching consensus and not simply assume positions on issues based on the politicians who are for or against them. I would like to see a major party candidate stand up and declare allegiance to the moderate factions of both parties. I think both Chris Christie and Hillary Clinton have potential in this regard.

1. How long have you been lurking around the forums before signing up?

A few visits.

And our younger members would like to know:

1. What is your favorite music?

Rock and roll, jam bands, blues, outlaw country, Americana. I am fond of outdoor concerts, especially in Festival environments.

1. What galaxy are you from? (it’s not good enough we know the state of mind you’re in.)
    “2000-zero-zero party over oops out time…” Oh wait. You wrote “galaxy.” I thought you wrote “century.”

2. What are your favorite video games?

Frogger and Space Panic, circa 1983. And if anyone remembers the game Space Panic besides me, you get an honorary Punditty Project trip down Memory Lane on your own dime at the time and place of your choosing.

Welcome!!!

If I recall correctly, you’re somewhere in the SF Bay Area, like me. Depending on where you live and where you work, you can do a lot of listening to audio books.

Yes indeed, Pete. I live in the Golden State…and I just started a new audiobook. If it turns out to bump one of the three I mentioned from the top three, I’ll let the forum members know.

Welcome.

If you like the Americana, check out Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers if you don’t already listen to them :smiley:

Welcome to RO!
Why a party for moderates, the luke warm?

I’m going to have to disagree with your number 5, punditty. I’m going to disagree with it because of the financial mess we are currently in and, because it is just going to get worse till Obama leaves office. We need a financially conservative candidate who understands our nations history mistakes with tax payer money and who has conservative ideas on how to fix it. Here are my candidates in order,

1.) Newt Gingrich - He is a republican who knows how to communicate well enough to get both party’s to agree. He’s also proven he can reform federal government key parts, and pay down debt. That will be huge is saving trillions of dollars and solving the debt crisis, probably more than anything.

2.) Rand Paul - He’s conservative when it comes to money and less government involvement by far, and for civil liberties. He’s my second choice.

3.) Marco Rubio - The book is still out on him on these issues and I’m not sure he has what it takes to accomplish the things that we need done on the Federal level. Perhaps if he can pass Immigration reform and depending on the bill he might turn into my favorite candidate. TBD.