The Santa Monica College Mass Murder: How Did It Happen?

The Santa Monica College Mass Murder: How Did It Happen?
by Clayton E. Cramer

6/9/13

According to news accounts, the killer used an “assault-style weapon.” Unsurprisingly, the 24-year-old killer had a history of mental illness, a run-in with the police, and had been hospitalized at some point in the last few years (although it remains unclear if this was voluntary or involuntary). As regular readers of my columns know, this is the heart of the mass murder problem, not just in America, but in Europe and Canada as well.

But how could this happen? California has had an assault weapons ban since 1989, progressively tightened over a decade. This law has been on the books, and enforced, since the killer was born. The only lawful way for a Californian to possess a high-capacity magazine is if he owned it before 2000 – when the killer was eleven years old. California passed a firearms-transfer background check requirement that took effect on January 1, 1991, which checks not only for felony and violent misdemeanor convictions and pending charges, but also for involuntary mental hospital commitments. Even if you are only held for 72 hour observation and then determined to be not crazy enough for longer term treatment, you are ineligible to possess a firearm for five years. The shooter was 24– unless he was hospitalized between 18 and 19, he could not have legally purchased any firearm. You can’t drive across the border into Arizona or Nevada to legally buy a gun; federal law prohibits such transfers unless your state of residence allows such transfers — and California does not.

So we are again left with the question: how did the killer get this gun? It would seem as though he broke a stack of laws, without much of a struggle. …

We have a serious problem in this country with psychosis. This is not new; what is new is that we no longer make a serious effort to protect not only the society, but those suffering from these severe mental illnesses, by providing the treatment that they desperately need. Rather than confront this problem, the mainstream media keep screeching about gun control – ignoring not only that gun-control laws can’t do anything about the innumerable tragedies that do not involve guns, but very restrictive gun-control laws, such as California’s, do not seem to work.

This article makes points the MSM are likely to minimize or avoid. The killer wasn’t an NRA-fanboy-gun-nut, just mentally troubled or ill. CA has the strictest gun control laws in the nation, but they availed nothing in the face of some one intending to commit murder. Actually, that may be too kind to the efficacy of gun control laws! Whatever this killer’s mental state - at least CA taxpayers won’t be providing him with free room, board, and lawyers for life - he knew one thing about CA gun laws. Of all the public places he could have gone, he apparently knew he was unlikely to quickly face an armed opponent on the campus of Santa Monica College!

Yeah, I’m not surprised that this is being ignored by the left. Also, the fact that he was a Muslim.

Actually, he was a Christian.

John Zawahri: Santa Monica Mass-Murderer Was Arab Christian Son of Lebanese Immigrants; 2nd Arab Immigrant Mass Murder in CA in ’13

“Great” source there…
:howler:

I’ll stick to Muslim until proven otherwise. I hadn’t heard he was a Christian of any flavor. If he is, I’m surprised I haven’t heard about more it.

I thought you would have accepted a right wing blog as an authoritative source without question. Guess I was wrong.

Just wondering what your source for him being a muslim might be? Your own prejudices?

Stay on topic.

Cactus Jack, if you’d like to insult me, just be a man about it.

Since you asked, when I see an Arabic last name, you are doggone right I assume someone is muslim. When I see the last name Hebert, Delacroix, Laperre, Thibodeaux, Gautier, Boudreaux, or my own, I think Cajun.
I guarantee you that I’m usually right, either way.

OK, so I was right. Thought so.

[quote=“Cactus_Jack, post:8, topic:39767”]
OK, so I was right. Thought so.
[/quote] Right about what?

That your source was your own prejudices. You admitted that you hear an arab name and you assume the person is a muslim. It’s not hard to use Google to make an attempt to confirm something. Your initial post stated that it was a fact that he was a muslim. Apparently not.

Ooh lookie…
Muslims Continue their Murderous, Jihadist Rampage…One by One : Freedom Outpost

[quote=“JStang, post:11, topic:39767”]
Ooh lookie…
Muslims Continue their Murderous, Jihadist Rampage…One by One : Freedom Outpost
[/quote] In the US only Muslims go on murderous shooting rampages and kill tons of people in schools and other public places. Oh wait…

Is that what JStang said? I don’t think so! What can I expect? Liberals constantly make-up an argument.

[quote=“StephenGOP, post:13, topic:39767”]
Is that what JStang said? I don’t think so! What can I expect? Liberals constantly make-up an argument.
[/quote] Why even point out the guy was Muslim or not? That’s a moot point.

Nope, I said I believe that this shooter was a Muslim. Initially, I thought it was a fact. I’ll keep that belief until something actual comes out. Yeah, my initial thought was due to his last name, Zawahri… Hey, I have been wrong before. If I am, it won’t be the last time either.

But, his first name is John…

If his first name was Abudabip, I’d have still thought he was Muslim.

Then, I took Cactus Jack’s advice and googled, and found a source just as reputable as his that indicated he might be a muslim, just as his indicates he might be a christian.

So, at this point, we don’t really know.

It doesn’t really matter though. His communnity has some of the most strict gun laws in the nation, and that’s not talked about much, if at all.

And you criticized my source? lol

No motive is said to be known for the shootings, but I cannot help but wonder whether the fact that he may have been Muslim had anything to do with it? No, the articles did not say he was Muslim. He simply has a Muslim name – Zawahri (you remember Ayman al-Zawahri?).

Even the blog you linked to admits that he “may” have been a muslim, while you claimed it was a “fact”. A number of sources are claiming that they are Lebanese Christians and that they belong to the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church. Also, Christian first names such as John are a big no-no for muslims.

Anyway, all will be revealed soon, although if it is confirmed that they are Christians something tells me you won’t be pinning this on Christianity.

[quote=“Cactus_Jack, post:16, topic:39767”]
And you criticized my source? lol

Even the blog you linked to admits that he “may” have been a muslim, while you claimed it was a “fact”. A number of sources are claiming that they are Lebanese Christians and that they belong to the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church. Also, Christian first names such as John are a big no-no for muslims.

Anyway, all will be revealed soon, although if it is confirmed that they are Christians something tells me you won’t be pinning this on Christianity.
[/quote]

No! Because radical Islamist used the religion of Islam to influence others to hijack planes. Have you forgotten about 9/11? No one is saying all Muslims are radical. No one is saying that there are not any radical Christians. However, one cannot be ignorant of the rise of radical Islamist. It is a common accepted fact that Al-Quada used the Islam religion for manipulation.