The Sermon on the Mount

It was in the Sermon on the Mount that Jesus said, “For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:20). Those words must have been a shock for His disciples. The scribes and the Pharisees were the epitome of righteousness. They tithed from herbs, to money. They openly prayed on street corners, and made sure that they were seen both when they gave and prayed. If anyone looked as though they were righteous, it was the religious leaders. But Jesus said that they were like cups that were painted white on the outside, but filthy within. He told them that they were hypocrites, and asked how they could possibly escape the damnation of Hell.

But that’s all “religion” can do for you—clean up the outside, when God sees and will judge by the inner motives and the thought-life. That’s why we need the mercy of the gospel. When we are born again, God “imputes” righteousness to us. We are freely made right with Him through the righteousness of Jesus, so that we are morally clean in His sight—perfectly justified, not because we do anything or are good in ourselves, but because Jesus did everything on the cross.

The Way of the Master

Have you read “Hell’s Best Kept Secret”?
Pick it up HERE ---------➨ Hell’s Best Kept Secret

Why do so many conservative ignore Jesus and his teachings from this sermon?

Not trying to be contentious, but Christ began taking the sins of the world, IOW our sins, upon Himself at Gethsemane. He provided the “Lamb of God” sacrifice on the Cross. Luke, a physician, recounted the sweating of blood that Jesus experienced in the Garden. To sweat blood, one must be under extreme stress. Knowing that Jesus was a perfect man, His sweating blood must have been induced by a pain far greater than we can bear. In fact, he told his apostles that they couldn’t drink the cup, he had to drink.
Jesus was aware that crucifixion awaited him. He told the Apostles this. so, that anxiety he felt, was not a fear of the horrors he would physically endure. It is reasonable to assume that the pain that made him sweat blood, was the pain of the Sins of the World, and God’s cup of Wrath, it bore. It was also noted that God sent an angel to strengthen Jesus. He was not yet alone.
As he was scourged, he bore his pain in silence. Nailed to the Cross, he still only spoke 7 times. The 4th time was when he was realizing the Ransom. He knew God had left him to bear this agony. Three hours of darkness, ensued. The completion of the Ransom Sacrifice. It is finished. The cup of God’s wrath for our sins was shattered, at the Foot of the Cross.
So I believe the Garden is just as important, if not more so, than the actual crucifixion. Both were necessary, but Jesus did not nail himself to the cross. However he did voluntarily drink from the Cup, in Gethsemane.
Not crucial, but important that I mention this.

Tiny, I got goosebumps as I read your post. Most beautifully stated.

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:4, topic:39569”]
Tiny, I got goosebumps as I read your post. Most beautifully stated.
[/quote]Thanx, Dear Lady. I think we, at times, forget the Garden. We focus so much on the actual Crucifixion, we forget the agony he faced leading up to his death. For me, Gethsemane and the Resurrection are more important than we recognize. The whole ordeal is paramount.

I do not believe many Conservatives do ignore Jesus and His teaching from the Sermon On The Mount.

Here are some of Jesus’ teachings from that sermon, right here:

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h]

39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.

41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.

42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Mt. 5:38-42

** Questions: **

What do you think we Conservatives should do, interpret the Lord up there as teaching that we should let our enemies literally beat us to death if they decide they want to do that? See verse 39 up there.

Or that we should interpret Jesus in such a way that we literally offer to give everything we have to the first guy who comes along with a lawyer and sues us in court? See verse 40

Or that we should interpret Jesus in such a way that we let anyone who wants to, turn us into a free taxicab as long as we live? See verse 41 up there.

Or that we should interpret Jesus in such as way that if anyone comes along and asks us for our money or asks if they can borrow our money, that we should keep giving or lending to them for as long as they ask us, which in some cases with some people, would be until we were 100% broke and owned absolutely NOTHING, as in having to literally live inside a cardboard box.

That what you mean?

Cherios.

I have always felt that the Agony in the Garden was the more “painful” of His sufferings. I believe that because interior sufferings–loneliness, despair (not that He despaired), feeling of abandonment, depression, etc., hit close to the heart and soul. It is a “darkness” of the soul–an emptiness, maybe even a void. I know that in my life, the most hurtful events have all been those which were caused by feeling abandoned, emotionally hurt, and betrayed by those claiming to love me. To this day, they can still surface and bleed again unlike the physical hurts I’ve experienced. Of course, we can never minimize any of His sufferings–as they were beyond our finite understandings. But the Agony in the Garden has always been, for me, a source of great comfort–because He understands my own heartbreaks. It helps me to understand that there is only One Who can be trusted and counted on in life–Jesus. He alone is worthy of my absolute love and complete trust. During Lent, it is my main meditation right next to the carrying of the Cross.

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:7, topic:39569”]
I have always felt that the Agony in the Garden was the more “painful” of His sufferings. I believe that because interior sufferings–loneliness, despair (not that He despaired), feeling of abandonment, depression, etc., hit close to the heart and soul. It is a “darkness” of the soul–an emptiness, maybe even a void. I know that in my life, the most hurtful events have all been those which were caused by feeling abandoned, emotionally hurt, and betrayed by those claiming to love me. To this day, they can still surface and bleed again unlike the physical hurts I’ve experienced. Of course, we can never minimize any of His sufferings–as they were beyond our finite understandings. But the Agony in the Garden has always been, for me, a source of great comfort–because He understands my own heartbreaks. It helps me to understand that there is only One Who can be trusted and counted on in life–Jesus. He alone is worthy of my absolute love and complete trust. During Lent, it is my main meditation right next to the carrying of the Cross.
[/quote]I am proud to know you.
The Agony in the Garden was severe. So severe, he perspired blood. To my mind, that may have had a numbing effect for the scourging. Once on the Cross, and in His Time, God left Jesus. That, was the despair what we all feel when we consider ourselves, alone, only he felt it for us all.
Man, that’s love. Wish I was better at it.

Tiny, I share your feelings about being “better” at it. The other thought I have many times when contemplating His sufferings is that He would have gone through all of that had there been only one of us. That’s mind-boggling. That’s perfect love–AGAPE. During Lent, I often watch “The Passion of the Christ” usually by myself because I want to completely empty myself into His sufferings–His love for me–and all of us. I don’t know how He managed to survive the scourging alone. But He did. He suffered 3 hours on the Cross from unimaginable horrors…for me…and I’m not worthy of a dirt bed. But He died for me…and sadly so many who refuse to acknowledge His love and His sacrifice. “Today, you will be with me in Paradise.” Ahhhh…such words! Only from the mouth of the Son of God could come such words.

I, too feel the same about you, Tiny. It is an honor to know you and to have the privilege of sharing this beautiful faith that we have in Christ Jesus.

Tiny, right on target.

“God left Jesus” is one of the most amazing parts of the gospel.

From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land. 46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”). Matthew 27:45-46

I have previously posted this video explanation of why “God left Jesus”, when He was on the cross, and its worth posting again. Its a short concise explanation of 2 Cor. 5:21

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

The heart of the gospel. Quotes from the video that explains why “God left Jesus”:

“He [God] treated Him [Jesus] as if He had committed every sin ever committed by every person who would ever believe, when in fact
He had committed none of them.” __from the video

… “God punished Jesus for my sin.”__from the video

This ↑ is the heart of the gospel. This is why the New Testament says that Jesus is the **lamb that takes away the sin of the world.

[QUOTE]
[SIZE=3]**“The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” John 1:29

“He himself **bore our sins in his body on the cross” I Peter 2:24[/SIZE]
[/quote]

The position presented above above is called the Substituionary Atonement since this means that Christ took our place, which is clearly taught in Isaiah 53:4-6;
2 Cor. 5:21; and 1 Pet. 2:24.

It is the doctrinal position that I hold, namely that there was a period of time when Jesus was on the cross that God left Jesus, and the reason was Jesus was being made the sacrificial lamb of God, which means that God treated Jesus as if he had committed every sin (this is why God turned His back on Jesus and left him alone) ever committed, so that Jesus bore the sins of humanity, and was punished for our sins.

Once a little 9 year old boy was asked to explain the gospel in the simple words he undersood, the boy replied, “I did some very bad things, and I should have got a whipping for doing them, but Jesus took my whipping for me.”

And that ↑ sir, is the gospel in a nutshell.

`

“Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?”

"From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land. About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud
voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”). Matthew 27:45-46

Jack: Beautiful. Thank you.

I have heard it said that Jesus won the battle in Gethsemane.

Susanna: He certainly did. Beautiful thought, by the way.

Definition of ** MANTRA **
: a mystical formula of invocation or incantation

Here is a MANTRA right here:

Who knows what you actually had in mind when you uttered that mantra?

Nonetheless, if I had to guess I’d say you were implying that Conservatives are hard and harsh, unlike Jesus …

… and that Jesus is much softer and far-more-mushy than Conservatives …

… and I’d guess you base your conclusion that many Conservativess ignore Jesus and are therefore unlike Jesus, upon your soft-mushy personal interpretation and application of the truths spoken by Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount.

Permit me to call your attention to the idea of ** synthesis **, that is to say, that all the characteristics and qualities of the Lord Jesus can be synthesized quite easily.

That means you do not have to deny any of His attributes/characteristics/qualities but can blend them all into one easily understood whole. What does that mean?

It means that you can harmonize Jesus’s Sermon on the Mount WITH all the other truths about Jesus, some of which are presented in this blog: Was Jesus A Pacifist ? No He Was Not A Pacifist. - Member Blogs - Conservative Republican Discussion Forums

An interesting word for your consideration:

Definition of SYNTHESIS
a: the composition or combination of parts or elements so as to form a whole

c: the combining of often diverse conceptions into a coherent whole; also: the complex so formed

Synthesis - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Cheers.

♪ ♪

PS
It has long been a popular mantra among certain atheists/agnostics/non-Christians here at RO (and generally on the web at large) that Conservatives are hard and harsh unlike Jesus who was, they claim, softer and easier.

Hark! Does this ↓ sound “softer and easier”? …lol …

The words of Jesus in Matthew 23:33 has been pointed out to them repeatedly, ““You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?” (And thats just the tip of the iceberg, go read the whole chapter for some really harsh language from the Lord Jesus to the Pharisees.)

And it has been pointed out to them repeatedly that Jesus proclaimed Eternal Hell as a certain coming reality for all those who refused to believe in Him.

Heh heh, did all those facts register in their minds? … LOL… NO! THEY DID NOT! … and why not?

Answer: Because if they permitted their minds to LEARN and REMEMBER those facts, then they could no longer post in threads such remarks as “Why do so many conservative ignore Jesus and his teachings from this sermon?”, as if what Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount somehow presents the WHOLE AND ENTIRE message of Jesus…

… and as if what Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount somehow VOIDS all the many other things He said, that when taken all-together and blended into a ** synthesis **, does in fact present, a totally different picture of what Jesus was really like …

… as opposed to what certain athesits/agnostics/non-Christians CLAIM he was like based upon their EXCLUSIVE FOCUS UPON THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT …

… and based upon their personal interpretation of the Sermon on the Mount, to the EXCLUSION of all the other truths Jesus Himself taught in the gospels, and later taught through His apostles in the New Testament.

PSS
But next thread, the atheists/agnostics/non-Christians WILL ONCE AGAIN POST such as:

“Why do so many conservative ignore Jesus and his teachings from this sermon?”

… and totally ignore:

The words of Jesus in Matthew 23:33, “You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?" (And thats just the tip of the iceberg, go read the whole chapter for some really harsh language from the Lord Jesus to the Pharisees.)

And the fact that Jesus proclaimed Eternal Hell as a certain coming reality for all those who refused to believe in Him.

And they will continue to ignore the facts about Jesus presented in this blog, namely that Jesus could be as tough and hard as was necessary in dealing with evil men, (facts that have been presented to them several times already here at RO)
Was Jesus A Pacifist ? No He Was Not A Pacifist. - Member Blogs - Conservative Republican Discussion Forums

“Why do so many conservative ignore Jesus and his teachings from this sermon?” … LOL …The Mantra is strong with atheists/agnostics/non-Christians on the web … lol… :freaked:

`

Thanks CT,

Btw, this morning I reworked the post to which you are refering into a much more developed blog piece. Its the first entry link in my sig.

Cheers and Insouciance. /grin

♪ ♪ ♪ ♪

Jack: Absolutely beautiful. You should really think about writing professionally. I’m going to print it out and use it as meditation. Beautiful.

Hello CT,

Thanks for stopping by over there at the blog, glad you found the piece beautiful and useful, and thank you for reading it.

Cheers & Happiness.

♪ ♪ ♪ ♪

I think what is telling today, and what has been the trend since the 60’s is for people to try to lower Jesus to our level. I remember when there was a big push to show Jesus laughing and there were all kinds of ugly paintings and drawings depicting Him with a huge open laughing mouth. Now, don’t get me wrong…I believe He was like us in all things except sin, and I do believe that he laughed and had a sense of humor–that is evident in many of His teachings. But, what bothered me about this was that it was an attempt to minimize His divinity. There has been a push since then, and maybe even before then, to relegate Jesus to being a “nice guy” instead of the Son of God. This is just the modern version of Arianism. Even though the laughing Jesus pictures aren’t so popular anymore, the idea that Jesus was just some kind of happy-go-lucky celestial “do-gooder”, still continues. Jesus spoke in very clear, unambiguous terms regarding sin, punishment, and what happens to those who refuse to repent. He was very critical of the Sanhedrin which consisted mostly of the Pharisees. He made no equivocation about those who paid lip service to God and those who genuinely worked to please the Almighty–a perfect example would be the widow with the mite and the woman with an issue of blood. And, what is more strikiing is the meeting of Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well. The Israelites hated the Samaritans and saw them as “unclean” and less than human. Most would not be caught dead in their presence. Yet, Jesus makes it crystal clear how we are to treat others–especially those whom we don’t like.

John the Baptist was a man who didn’t mince words either. That’s why he was beheaded–he had a big mouth…and most didn’t like hearing the truth…much like our modern world today. We don’t want to hear that we’re sinful. We don’t want to hear that our desire for instant gratification should be curbed. We don’t want to hear that this life on earth shouldn’t be “heaven” on earth. And so, we pervert the Scriptures to fit our own ideas of what we think Jesus meant in His teachings. But, like most of what happens in modern human society, it is a perversion of the Truth. Perversions of the Truth will continue until those who pervert believe that the Truth is finally eradicated. But, we who believe in the Word of God and in His Son will keep the Truth burning inside of us until He comes again. He will not be mocked. He will always triumph…even unto the end of the world.

I think Christians should at the very least interpret it as rejecting the most violent and evil of man’s activities, war. I think they should demand this from their government instead of condoning it. I think that Constantine’s taint on Christianity still remains today.