The Sky Is Not Falling

This was the topic of my pastor’s sermon last Sunday (had been going to give it the previous Sunday, but he was sick). He started with talking about all the things we hear/see/read on the news, and how they can discourage us and make us feel like the sky is falling. The following is pretty much the outline of his sermon with the scripture references:

THE SKY IS NOT FALLING

1. The Bible will still have all the answers.

(Matthew 7:7) Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

1. Prayer will still be the most powerful thing on earth.

(Mark 11:24) Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

1. The Holy Spirit will still move.

(Acts 2:1) And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

(Acts 2:2) And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

(Acts 2:3) And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

(Acts 2:4) And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

1. God will still honor the praises of His people.

(Psalms 22:3) But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

1. There will still be God-anointed preaching. God will always get His message out to the world.

(Isaiah 61:1) The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

1. There will still be singing praises to God.

(Psalms 9:2) I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High.

1. God will still pour out blessings upon His people.

(Psalms 24:5) He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.

1. There will still be room at the cross.

(Revelation 3:20) Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

1. Jesus will still love you.

(Romans 8:37) Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

(Romans 8:38) For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

(Romans 8:39) Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1. Jesus will still save the lost when they come to Him.

(Romans 10:9) That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

(Romans 10:10) For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Sounds like a very good pastor and sermon to me Susanna.
Amen

Susanna,

Magnificient thread and super magnificient message.

I think age has a lot to do with we Christians coming to trust in the Sovereign God and in His strength and wisdom. The older one gets the more one comes to realize that we frail humans are not in control of ourselves and our destinies. When one is young and full of energy that truth often escapes us.

Nonetheless, I often stand amazed at people that I believe are true Christians who consistently put more faith in the newspaper’s headlines than they do in the dozens and dozens of Bible verses that clearly teach God is in absolute control and that He has a plan He is working out, and that we are to put our faith in Him and His plan, and then after we do that we are susposed to go to work as hard as we can to fight for the right, and NOT be continually predicting looming defeat.

** 'Course, I’ve been out here long enough to firmly come to believe that 99.9% of Prophets of Doom cannot be turned. Pessimism, gloom, doom, fear, and defeatism works exactly like a drug. It becomes addictive and it offers them something that their personalities, in some perverse way, both crave and need, and they are NOT going to give it up no matter what you say to them. Millions love fear and predictions of doom. Bad news sells newspapers and TV advertising spots, good news does not sell newspapers and does not sell TV advertising spots. **

The Christian Doom-Mongers and Christian Fear-Mongers will always drag out the newspaper’s headlines and say to you, “I am the one facing reality, and you are the one sticking your head in the sand like an ostrich.”

True Christians who are Prophets of Doom will say that to you, as if the Bible does not present the final and ultimate reality. To them the newspaper’s headlines trump the Bible … the same Bible they are trusting in for their soul’s salvation, somehow in their minds, has nothing realistic to say about the present or the future.

Sure, the Christian Doom Mongers and Fear Mongers have the right to hawk their fears, dread, and doom. I have no problem whatsoever with Prophets of Fear spreading their defeatism, gloom, doom, looming ruin, looming dread, fear, and hopelessness.

Afterall this is the Internet where many lonely confused souls gather to vent by spreading their personal Dreads, Doubts, Fears, and Hopelessness as they quote the Newspapers as their Sacred Text and as they quote their favorite Certain Coming Doom Website as their second favorite Sacred Text.

Plus a lot of their Doom Mongering is funny and it cracks me up and I love to laugh. But I pay them zero attention, never take them seriously, and never participate in their Fear, Dread, Gloom, Doom, and Hopelessness.

** I fill my mind with Bible verses that are full of Optimism and Hope in the Lord, and Faith in the Lord, and I fill my mind with good books that are full of Hope and Faith and Optimism and Trust In The Lord. **

Here is just one example among many of the thoughts with which I fill my mind:

The Sovereign God told Abraham that He would spare the wicked city of Sodom if Abraham could find just 10 righteous people in that city. When the Sovereign God said that, He thereby established a principle, namely that He will NOT throw the baby out with the bathwater, that is, He will NOT destroy the righteous with the wicked. Since the Sovereign God has established a principle that says He will not destroy a wicked city if a mere 10 righteous people can be found in that city, then I conclude that based upon that principle He will NOT destroy America but will keep her safe and protect her because there are not just 10 righteous people in America, but rather there are tens of millions of righteous people in America that are sincerely trying to do right and raise their children in the fear and admonition of the Lord. Just the Southern Baptists have over 16,000,000 members. America is full of Christian Churches that are packed with sincere Christians trying to do what is right and to please the Lord.

** In Another Vein, Christendom Is Growing Huge-Enormous: **

I am reading some magnificient books of Hope and Faith and Optimism these days titled The Next Christendom: The Coming Of Global Christianity by Phillip Jenkins. The title tells you that this is a book that is filled by Hope and Faith and Optimism. It is also well documented and its NOT a devotional book, rather it presents hard evidence that Christianity is growing like wildfire in Africa and South America and that the secularists in North America are going to be forced by sheer numbers to make room for a huge enormous on-coming Christendom as more and more Christians immigrate into America from the Southern areas of the globe.

For example, based upon present projections by 2050 there will be over 100,000,000 million Latinos in America and huge majorities of Latinos self-identify as Christians, in that light, Jenkins says, “… a United States with 100 million Latinos is very likely to have a far more Southern religious complexion than anything we can imagine at present…” pg. 264 (By his word “Southern” he means the more fundamentalist Christianity of Central and South America.)

For anyone interested in some Hope, Faith, and Optimism, Phillip Jenkins has written a trilogy:

(1) The Next Christendom: The Coming Of Global Christianity
The Next Christendom: The Coming of Global Christianity (Future of Christianity Trilogy): Philip Jenkins: 9780199767465: Amazon.com: Books

(2) The New Faces Of Christianity: Believing The Bible In The Global South
The New Faces of Christianity: Believing the Bible in the Global South: Philip Jenkins: 9780195368512: Amazon.com: Books

(3) God’s Continent: Christianity, Islam, And Europe’s Religious Crisis
God’s Continent: Christianity, Islam, and Europe’s Religious Crisis (The Future of Christianity): Philip Jenkins: 9780195384628: Amazon.com: Books

** On 21st Century Christians Who Have The Grasshopper Disease: **

“We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes”

26 They came back to Moses and Aaron and the whole Israelite community at Kadesh in the Desert of Paran. There they reported to them and to the whole assembly and showed them the fruit of the land. 27 They gave Moses this account: “We went into the land to which you sent us, and it does flow with milk and honey! Here is its fruit. 28 But the people who live there are powerful, and the cities are fortified and very large. We even saw descendants of Anak there. 29 The Amalekites live in the Negev; the Hittites, Jebusites and Amorites live in the hill country; and the Canaanites live near the sea and along the Jordan.”

30 Then Caleb silenced the people before Moses and said, “We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it.”

31 But the men who had gone up with him said, “We can’t attack those people; they are stronger than we are.” 32 And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, “The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size. 33 We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.” Numbers 13:26-33

Remember, the Christian Prophets of Fear and Doom will never be discouraged when they miss their predictions of Certain Coming Doom for America. Their attitude is, “Well we got it wrong this time, but we’ll get it right next time.”

Please tell your pastor that Jack gave a good strong Amen to his sermon. :smile:

In my next post there are some very comforting Bible verses that affirm that the Sovereign God is in total control of this world and that He is working out His plan for this world and for His Church His people.

Cheers.

`
** Here are some very comforting Bible verses that affirm that the Sovereign God is in total control of this world and that He is working out His plan for this world and for His Church His people. **

Daniel 4:35: He doeth according to His will In the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay His hand, or say unto Him, What doest thou?

Jeremiah 32:17: Ah Lord Jehovah! behold thou hast made the heavens and the earth by thy great power and by thine outstretched arm; and there is nothing too hard for thee.

Matthew 28:18: All authority hath been given unto me (Christ) in heaven and on earth.

Ephesians 1:22: And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church.

Ephesians 1:11: In whom we were made a heritage, having been foreordained according to the purpose of Him who worketh all things after the counsel of His will.

Isaiah 14:24, 27: Jehovah of hosts hath sworn, saying, surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass . . . . For Jehovah of hosts hath purposed, and who shall annul it? and His hand is stretched out, and who shall turn it back?

Isaiah 46:9, 10, 11: Remember the former things of old; for I am God. and there is none else; I am God and there is none like me; declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure . . . . yea, I have spoken; I will also bring It to pass; I have purposed, I will also do it.

Genesis 18:14: Is anything too hard for Jehovah?

Job 42:2: I know that thou canst do all things, And that no purpose of thine can be restrained.

Psalm 115:3: Our God is in the heavens. He hath done whatsoever He pleased.

Psalm 135:6: Whatsoever Jehovah pleased, that hath He done. In heaven, in earth, in the seas, and in all deeps.

Isaiah 55:11: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth; it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Romans 9:20, 21: Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why didst thou make me thus? Or hath not the potter a right over the clay, from the same lump to make one part a vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor?

`
The quotes below are basically Scripture texts in the public domain, and besides that they were taken from The Reformed Doctrine Of Predestination by Dr. Lorraine Boettner, who has given permission inside the flyleaf of this work to quote this entire book word for word with or without credit.

** As a suppliment to the spirit of the Opening Post, here is a list of Scriptures demonstrating that all events have a Sovereign appointed place and purpose and that God’s providence is universal and that He therefore always accomplishes the complete fulfillment of His plans. **

** Nature or the physical world. **
“Jehovah doeth His will in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet,” Nahum 1:3. “Only in the land of Goshen where the children of Israel were, there was no hail,” Exodus 9:26.

“He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sendeth rain on the just and the unjust,” Matthew 5:45.

The famine in Egypt appeared to men to be only the result of natural causes; yet Joseph could say, “The thing is established of God, and God will shortly bring it to pass.” Genesis 41: 32.

“And I also have withholden the rain from you, when there were yet three months before the harvest; and I caused it to rain upon one city, and caused it not to rain upon another city,” Amos 4:7.

“He gave you from heaven rains and fruitful seasons, filling your heart with food and gladness,” Acts 14:17.

“Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?” Isaiah 40:12

** The animal creation. **
“Are not two sparrows sold for a penny and not one of them shall fall to the ground without your Father,” Matthew 10:29.

“Behold the birds of the heavens, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them,” Matthew 6:26

. “My God hath sent His angel and hath shut the lions’ months, that they have not hurt me,” Daniel 6:22.

“The young lions roar after their prey, and seek their meat from God,” Psalm 104:21.

“Thus God hath taken away the cattle of your father (Laban) and given them to me” (Jacob), Genesis 31:9.

** Nations. **
(Nebuchadnezzar’s humiliation was) “to the intent that the living may know that the Most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever He will, and setteth up over it the lowest of men,” Daniel 4:17.

“Behold, the nations are as a drop in the bucket, and are accounted as the small dust of the balance; behold, He taketh up the isles as a very little thing,” Isaiah 40-15.

“Let them say among the nation Jehovah reigneth,” 1 Chronicles 16:31.

“For God Is the King of all the earth,” Psalm 47:7.

“He changeth the times and the seasons; He removeth kings, and setteth up kings,” Daniel 2:21.

“Jehovah bringeth the counsel of the nations to naught; He maketh the thoughts of the people to be of none effect,” Psalm 33:10.

“And Jehovah gave them rest round about … Jehovah delivered all their enemies into their hands,” Joshua 21:44.

“And the children of Israel did that which was evil in the sight of Jehovah; and Jehovah delivered them into the hands of Midian seven years,” Judges 6:1

. 'Shall evil befall a city, and Jehovah hath not done it?" Amos 3:6.

“For, lo, I raise up the Chaldeans, that bitter and hasty nation, that march through the breadth of the earth, to possess dwelling places that are not theirs,” Habakkuk 1:6.

** Individual men. **
“The king’s heart is in the hand of Jehovah as the watercourses; He turneth it whithersoever He will,” Proverbs 21:1.

“A man’s goings are established of Jehovah,” Psalm 37:23.

“A man’s heart deviseth his way, but the Lord directeth his steps,” Proverbs 16:9.

“For we ought to say, if the Lord will, we shall both live, and do this or that,” James 4:15.

“Of Him, and through Him, and unto Him are all things,” Romans 11:36.

“Who maketh thee to differ? And what hast thou that thou didst not receive?” 1 Corinthians 4:7.

“The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear Him, And delivereth them,” Psalm 34:7.

“If it be so our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace; and He will deliver us out of thy hand,O king,” Daniel 3:17

. “Jehovah is on my side; I shall not fear; What can man do unto me?” Psalm 118:6.

But now, O Jehovah, thou art our Father; we are the clay and thou our potter; and we are the work of thy hands," Isaiah 64:8.

“And the hand of our God was upon us, and He delivered us (the returning exiles) from the hand of the enemy and the lier-in-wait by the way,” Ezra 8:31

. “And God brought their counsel to naught,” Nehemiah 4:15.

“But against any of the children of Israel shall not a dog move his tongue, against man or bent; that ye way know how Jehovah doth make a distinction between the Egyptians and Israel,” Exodus 11:7.

“And the Lord said unto Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak and hold not thy peace; for I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to harm thee,” Acts 18:9.

** The free acts of men. **
“It is God who worketh in you both to will and to work, for His good pleasure,” Philippians 2:13.

“And Jehovah gave the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they let them have what they asked.” Exodus 12:36.

“And the king (of Persia, Artaxerxes) granted him (Ezra) all his request, according to the hand of Jehovah his God upon him,” Ezra 7:6.

“For Jehovah had made them joyful, and had turned the heart of the king of Assyria unto them, to strengthen their hands in the work of the house of God” (rebuilding the temple), Ezra 6:22.

“And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep mine ordinances, and do them,” Ezekiel 36:27.

** The sinful acts of men. **
“For of a truth in this city against thy holy servant Jesus, whom thou didst anoint, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, and the Gentiles and the people of Israel, were gathered together, to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel foreordained to come to pass,” Acts 4:27, 28.

“Jesus answered him (Pilate), Thou wouldst have no power against me, except it were given thee from above,” John 19:11.

(David, rebuking Abishai, in regard to Shimei) “Because he curseth, and Jehovah bath said, Curse David… Let him alone, and let him curse; for Jehovah bath bidden him” II Sam. 16:10, 11.

"Surely the wrath of man shall praise thee; and the residue of wrath shalt thou gird upon thee’ (or restrain), Ps. 76:10.

“And I, behold I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians and they shall go in (the Red Sea) after them; and I will get me honor upon Pharaoh, and upon all his host, and upon his chariots, and upon his horsemen,” Ex. 14:17.

Cheers.

I’ve read the back of the Book. Jesus wins!

/Smile …

Exactly! The back of the Book.

Revelation 21 NIV - A New Heaven and a New Earth - Then I - Bible Gateway

and

Revelation 22 NIV - Eden Restored - Then the angel showed - Bible Gateway

All Is Well That Ends Well! :smile:

`

And we will live happily ever after!