The Speech/What's Next

The acceptance speech delivered by Trump was just “OK” as acceptance speeches go - IMHO.

It wasn’t that the he didn’t hit the major themes. It was that he took so much time hitting EVERYTHING. In short, I thought the speech was often repetitive and simply too damn LONG. For me, some of the more memorable lines tended to get lost within the maize of the quantity of the rhetoric presented.

The very 1st thing I noticed as Trump was delivering the speech was the volume of the words being delivered - he essentially shouted the entire speech. This tone of the delivery was both annoying and distracting - IMHO.

Midway through the speech it dawned on me I had heard it all before.

Most of the speech’s content was on point, although I was surprised he doubled-down on his politically ignorant rhetoric regarding NATO. No, not the part about the allies paying their share, but his threat during an interview he gave in the morning to essentially dissolve NATO agreements by picking and choosing which NATO allies we would assist if one should be attacked. That is not smart - certainly not politically smart - and again shows his lack of understanding and serious thinking - IMO. No doubt, Gen. Mike Flynn began hyperventilating while listening to this portion of the speech. However, I’m sure Putin is happy.

My short critique: Too long. Too Loud. Too repetitive. Full of important content and entirely superfluous rhetoric. As a consequence, I tended to lose focus and found myself tuning out.

It seems to me very clear that Trump himself had a major role in actually writing the speech. And that’s good. If nothing else, Trump is authentic. However, no talented speechwriter or speech coach would have suggested such a long and loud, monotone presentation.

WHAT’S NEXT?

The Democrat convention is next. A week-long suck fest during which time Hillary will promise your tax money will be used to purchase the votes of her constituents - the nation’s “tit-hangers” and anarchists while she rips Trump a new vent - all to be expertly covered, explained, excused or simply ignored by her MS media pimps.

Agreed, way too long but I believe it was his best speech to date. After seeing some headlines you’d think he was just a big, dark cloud only because he presented real data that reflects the actual state of our nation. I actually think is was uplifting and hopeful with just the right amount of inclusivity needed to garner the independent vote.

I don’t think that Trump is good at giving speeches. He is to loud & he pauses wrong. I’m sure that will hurt him some when he’s out stump standing. On the other hand it doesn’t bother me at all. I don’t even mind if he puts his foot in his mouth pretty often. I would much rather have that than a polished speaker like Obama that is a POS. Anyway I guess we will have to wait & see how well middle America will receive what he says.

Long I will agree, but the first time I have ever seen Trump talk so S L O W and that contributed along with the crowd slowing him down.

It was a positive and rousing speech, well written by somebody and he delivered on it, his best speech yet.

Trump started out excellent, but towards the end, he kind of “faded”.

I thought it was well done. Listing of things that NEED to be done and then the specifics. This guy has the potential to be another Reagan.

I thought the Trump speech had a lot of good points, but was a little long. Given the job his kids of done this week, I wish one of them was running.

The speech was “meh”. It was definitely too long. And it was too negative with very little “Go America!” stuff. He’s usually more likable when he’s off script.

He’s lucky that he’s running against Clinton, instead of Obama.

Sorrry to disagree, but I’ve never seen many great thoughts come from Obama. He reads a teleprompter well and he has that wonderfully modulated voice, but beyond that, he’s an empty suit. When he goes off the cuff he shows his weaknesses and often gets in trouble.

The problems he’s African-American, which almost always gives him a free pass, is he ran against two weak candidates. McCain spent too much time “reaching accross the aisle,” and Romney gave up after the first debate. I worked hard for him, and I was so disappointed when he whimped out.

The guy who had to use a teleprompter to talk to a bunch of sixth-graders.

ObuttBoy uses a teleprompter to talk to himself.

Ok probably not a popular opinion here but: Obama is a great speaker. Bill Clinton (from what I’ve heard) is an electrifying individual (all eyes are drawn to him when he walks in the room). But those things are individual traits, not a foundation for President. Heck, I’m betting Reagan had both but his real talent was putting the right people in the right place. He told them what to do & they did it. I’m hoping that Trump (a businessman) just might have that same talent.

[quote=“Old_Tex, post:12, topic:49127”]
Ok probably not a popular opinion here but: Obama is a great speaker. Bill Clinton (from what I’ve heard) is an electrifying individual (all eyes are drawn to him when he walks in the room). But those things are individual traits, not a foundation for President. Heck, I’m betting Reagan had both but his real talent was putting the right people in the right place. He told them what to do & they did it. I’m hoping that Trump (a businessman) just might have that same talent.
[/quote]Bill Clinton and Obama are both charismatic, and both good speakers. Clinton is much better at speaking off the cuff, though. Obama does indeed need to prepare. But he’s excellent at prepared speeches. For prepared speeches, he’s better than Clinton or Reagan. Trump is more like Clinton, he’s best when he’s speaking extemporaneously.

Hilary Clinton is not good with speeches. Probably even worse than Trump, and has no extemporaneous skills either.

Only if he was reciting what was written in front of him; otherwise, he was the Wizard of Uhs.

Speakers:
Obama: Without a teleprompter at best he is handicapped, but give him a tele and he is as smooth as ice with excellent delivery ability…

Bill Clinton is good, very good and has good delivery

Trump runs the gamut from GREAT to OMG he gone off the rails. He works best off the cuff for SHORT speaking. Give him 5 min and he can set up the deal, you talk and give him 5 more and he closes. Give Trump an hour and he will wander, falter, stumble go off track and the longer it goes the more incoherent it becomes. Want him to go long then the tele keeps him moving and focused otherwise he unravels.

HildaBeast SHINES BRIGHTLY as long as her mouth is shut. She lies and everyone knows it, unlike Obama who lies if his mouth moves you have a tendency to believe unless you see the facts. Hitlery avoids facts like the plague and uses flippant, disdain and arrogance as her toolset instead of giving answers.

Reagan, was good, very good like your wise old granddad, he was believable and down to earth and you understood every word he said.

Summary:

Obama: A+++ as long as its prepared and he has his tele, without, D!

Bill Clinton: A

Trump: A+ - F with little in-between.

BroomHilda: F

Reagan: A

If Obama is a great speaker then I suppose someone, somewhere, should be able to find a great Obama quote that posterity will call back to as means of encapsulating a timeless idea or point of wisdom.

You cannot be a “Great Speaker” when you have never said anything worth repeating, Obama may “Speak Well” but he is absolutely without a doubt NOT a “Great Speaker”.

Churchill, Reagan, even FDR and Kennedy, all said things that have lived on after them as a beacon of guidance for future generations; Clinton and Obama have said absolutely nothing of value and much that is just plain stupid and fodder for mocking.

I have challenged some very adamant Obama supporters to offer up an Obama quote that could be considered wise, timeless or great in any way and I have never received a response; Obama is an articulate idiot when he is reading and an inarticulate idiot when he is ad libbing.

Great Speakers say great things whether scripted or not, their greatness emanates from actually believing in great ideas; even Bush 43 had a few quotes that will long survive him in spite of struggling with scripted speeches.

Trump has no great ideas and the ideas he does have he is not committed to in any Principled way.