The tobacco ban is now on the table

Bill proposed in Oregon would make cigarettes prescription-only drugs

SALEM, OR (KPTV) - If you’re a regular smoker, you may want to keep an eye on a new bill in the Oregon Legislature.

Rep. Mitch Greenlick, from Portland, is sponsoring a bill that makes cigarettes a Schedule III controlled substance, meaning it would be illegal to possess or distribute cigarettes without a doctor’s prescription.

Under the proposal, offenders would face maximum punishments of one year in prison, a $6,250 fine or both.

He doesn’t think it’ll pass, but he hopes it’ll start a conversation. What a piece of trash.

Bill proposed in Oregon would make cigarettes prescription-only - KPTV - FOX 12

You should move to Idaho. I was doing research on it an found it to be one of the most pro-liberty states in the country.

Or a little further east. I was reading Wyoming’s got a good economy purring right along.

Wow, that’s pretty crazy. No chance it’ll pass.

But, looking at Obamacare I wonder if the US will go the way of Japan. The Japanese government mandates universal care and owns the tobacco industry. A large part of the tobacco industry profits are used to prop things up in the healthcare side of things - but the whole gov’t is still on a horribly shoddy financial foundation.

Ugh…probably. That healthcare bit is going to be fodder for all kinds of arguments. Soon enough, we’ll have the government doing fridge surveys. Don’t know when they’ll start acting on what’s in them. The Brits still haven’t gone to that level yet.

Are there any Indian Reservations in Oregon? (Yes, I’m borrowing that from a caller into Rush’s program.)

Yes…small ones

Think they might have a bit of a problem with this whacked-out idea of Greenlick’s? (What a name.)

We need smokers, and more smokers. They are what keep the Social Security system from collapsing.

If that’s the only thing holding it up, you are in deep doo doo. Maybe if you quit supporting bills that stymie business growth and keep people out of the employment rolls, it just might last a few more years.

Okay, I’ll bite - what “bills” am I “supporting” that stymie business growth and employment?

No way it’l pass? Think again
I remember when there was no way abortion would be legal.
I remember when there was no way Queer marriage would be legal.
I remember when there was no way prayer could be outlawed in school.
I remember when there was no way the ten commandements would be illegal in the classrooms, courthouses, and any other public places.

How quickly you forget the tax increase on the evil rich you applauded.

Please elaborate - what was that? I assume you have forgotten that if the fiscal cliff deal wasn’t made, income tax rates would have gone up for all Americans that pay income taxes. That’s a better deal than keeping rates the same for 98% of us?

You are that peculiar sort of conservative who wants to cut off his nose to spite his face.

I rest my case, you support the deal that keeps businesses from being able to hire more workers. Would you try and find a post where you didn’t agree with a tax increase on someone please.

And you supported raising income tax rates for all - some conservative you are!

No, I supported raising the taxes of no one. I supported cutting out the waste. I supported cutting redundant departments. I supported cutting congressional perks. I supported cutting off foreign aide to people that want to kill us. I supported gutting Obamacare. I supported cutting the EPA’s funding until they backed off policies that increase costs to everyone. I supported government getting out of the student loan, home loan, car and green energy business.

Bullspit. In the context of the world as it was on December 31, you supported raising income tax rates for all. And no doubt you also support, in the next several months, the U.S. defaulting on its obligations. Now that’s a job killer.

You are an idealogue, not a conservative. If jobs are lost as an result of your blind adherence to ideology, you don’t give a rat’s ass.

That’s like saying, “If we didn’t give them all our women under the age of 21 they’ll kill us all, so I voted to give up the women.” Same principle

[quote=“Jazzhead, post:18, topic:37951”]
Bullspit. In the context of the world as it was on December 31, you supported raising income tax rates for all. And no doubt you also support, in the next several months, the U.S. defaulting on its obligations. Now that’s a job killer.

You are an idealogue, not a conservative. If jobs are lost as an result of your blind adherence to ideology, you don’t give a rat’s ass.
[/quote]If you raise them on anyone, you should raise them on EVERYONE. You support the rich paying more, as long as you personally don’t have to. That is as Liberal as one can get. You support taking over half of someone’s pay, to keep you from paying more? And these are the job creators. If the 47% paid their share, that would be ideal. However, as you have proven, time and time again, you only care about Republican Goobermental power, and how you can buy those votes your delapidated party needs. Therefore, you support liberal solutions, like vilifying the rich, that are injurious to your fellow Americans.
Sooner or later, you must come full circle, to the fact that you are a liberal.