The True Patriots On The Right Of The People .. To Bear Arms?

To some, this post is unnecessary but … There are many who have been Government Educated and have learned … Only what the Government has wanted them to learn!

I responded to a post today which shocked me …

Finally, as I’ve stated before, the purpose of the Second Amendment is to support the natural right of self defense, NOT to provide the citizenry with the means to rise up against a “tyrannical” government. That’s just right-wing claptrap, with no basis in the plain text of the Amendment.

(sorry jazzhead)

My response was that I was in great company with the likes of Washington and Jefferson!

“What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”

Thomas Jefferson to James Madison

“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”

George Washington

The reply?

“But the plain language of the Second Amendment doesn’t support such an interpretation”.

(sorry jazzhead)

I should have informed this person (sorry jazzhead) that getting a proper education involves some research of their own to discover why a law or opinion such as these were written in the first place!

It is incumbent on all of us to do (just a little) research of our own to understand the minds of the men who we call our leaders!

I have taken the liberty of doing some research and posting it here for those who have refused to do so.

Hopefully the following quotes by some who actually helped author the Second Amendment will lead to further research by the Faithful Blind.
(Blind Faith is a great name for a Rock and Roll band … Not for trusting in government!)

“Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not.”

**Thomas Jefferson **

“What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”

Thomas Jefferson to James Madison

“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”

George Washington

“I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians.”
(Actually, he said a few public officials but … you get the point 8)

George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

Thomas Jefferson, Complete Jefferson

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States”

(Noah Webster in `An Examination into the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution’, 1787

“…but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people, while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in discipline and use of arms, who stand ready to defend their rights…”

(Alexander Hamilton speaking of standing armies in Federalist 29.)

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them.”

(Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights, Walter Bennett, ed., Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republican, at 21,22,124 (Univ. of Alabama Press,1975)

“The great object is that every man be armed” and “everyone who is able may have a gun.”

(Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution. Debates and other Proceedings of the Convention of Virginia,…taken in shorthand by David Robertson of Petersburg, at 271, 275 2d ed. Richmond, 1805. Also 3 Elliot, Debates at 386)

“And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms…The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants”

(Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787. Taken from Jefferson, On Democracy 20, S. Padover ed., 1939)

“The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”

(Thomas Jefferson)

And though this last quote was not spoken by a Founding Patriot … It speaks volumes!
(And is a favorite of mine)

"The tank, the B-52, the fighter-bomber, the state-controlled police and military are the weapons of dictatorship.

The rifle is the weapon of democracy.
If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns.

Only the police, the secret police, the military.
The hired servants of our rulers.
Only the government-and a few outlaws.
I intend to be among the outlaws."

(Edward Abbey, “The Right to Arms,” Abbey’s Road [New York, 1979])

SORRY JAZZHEAD :rofl:

Very interesting research you’ve done.

Quotes can always be challenged with other quotes saying the opposite.

But I don’t think this would be a valid challenge here, because the quotes you use actually reflect what the state of mind of these historical figures was. They’re not just “snappy sayings”, they’re much much more than that.

My compliments.

[quote=“BobJam, post:2, topic:38336”]
Very interesting research you’ve done.

Quotes can always be challenged with other quotes saying the opposite.

But I don’t think this would be a valid challenge here, because the quotes you use actually reflect what the state of mind of these historical figures was. They’re not just “snappy sayings”, they’re much much more than that.

My compliments.
[/quote]I actually own a couple of the books (or copies), penned by the quoted patriots above.

You can also find the references to them in all the historical places around here.

I live about nine miles from St. John’s Church where Patrick Henry gave his famous liberty or death speech.

Birth of a Rebellion
Learn about the role of St. John’s Church and Patrick Henry in the
American Revolution

Historic St. John’s Church in Richmond Virginia