There should be a language filter

There should be a language filter.

People don’t like seeing naughty words, so they should just be filtered out for them and replaced with something else or asterisks.

For instance, we could replace all blocked words with bunnies.

The function would look something like this:

#assuming the post text is just a string, it is very likely an object or something.
function FilterBlockedNames($postString) 
{
   $stringWords = explode(" ", $postString);
   foreach($BlockedWords as $naughtyWord)
   {
       foreach($stringWords as &$wordToCheck)
       {
           if($naughtyWord == strtolower($wordToCheck))
           { 
                $wordToCheck = "bunnies!";
           }
       }
   }
   #this returns an array that is totally corrected, it'd have to be applied to the 
   #actual post text. 
   return $stringWords;
}

I’m not saying this is the most efficient function to do this, but it should not replace the blocked word if it is in the middle of the word (for instance, if “sta” is blocked, instance would remain instance but STA would become bunnies!.

I am not bringing this up to be snide or anything like that, I just don’t understand why certain people would continually have problems with bad words and not want them to be replaced with a more tolerable word, such as “bunnies!” instead.

I am sure this has been brought up before, but why not have a filter if bad language is so offensive?

As there are mostly adults on this site it is reasonable to assume that they/we can have a civil discussion without resorting to bad language. Though i would mind the language filter if it replaced each bad word with magnaclam. i.e. Son of a magnaclam, Clam it!, clamhole, magnalclam-ich, magnassclam, mothermagna ect. :rofl: What do you think FC? It is a good idea.

If everyone is an adult, then why control reasonable amounts of swearing at all? IE: Only in a few posts and of a decent number when they do appear.

It is better just to censor them and be done with it, then everyone can be happy.

[quote=“GT7, post:3, topic:28586”]
If everyone is an adult, then why control reasonable amounts of swearing at all? IE: Only in a few posts and of a decent number when they do appear.

It is better just to censor them and be done with it, then everyone can be happy.
[/quote]Mods do more than censure bad words.

1. There is. It’s in between your ears, if you use it.
  2. Right. Nothing snide in your references to “bunnies”… :rolleyes:
  3. Speaking as a “certain person,” filters aren’t always going to be in place when a kid looks at this page. Nor a religious person who is put off by a cesspool of ungentlemanly language.
  4. Why not excercise some self-control with your language? It’s easy to do with written text. If I as a six-year Navy man can clean up my act in text, it can’t be that difficult. Furthermore, I suspect your objection stems in part from the recent issue in which you didn’t just use foul language; you went beyond that and called a member an obscene name.
  1. First of all, if everyone is an adult, why can’t they act like one and excercise some self-control? Any teenage punk can use foul language. For that matter, many a preteen punk does; there’s no manhood or womanhood in it. Second, not everyone on here is an adult.
  2. If anyone needs to use foul language to be happy, then more’s the pity. If anyone can’t control their own language on a computer keyboard, then they need help. If they can but would rather complain about not being allowed to do so on a private site, then they get no sympathy from me.

I’ve been on sites with language filters, and it doesn’t stop bad language. The self-policing we do on this site seems to work pretty good - and gives the site a good reputation.

I’ve been on sites with language filters, and it doesn’t stop bad language. The self-policing we do on this site seems to work pretty good - and gives the site a good reputation.

Not really, it mostly creates a chosen class.

I suspect your objection stems in part from the recent issue in which you didn’t just use foul language; you went beyond that and called a member an obscene name.

No, I haven’t called anyone any “obscene” names.

That is also a problem, if you think what I type is obscene you have a little hissy fit. With a language filter, there is much less debate as to what is obscene and things that aren’t blocked will be clearly obscene enough that no debate is necessary.

Why not excercise some self-control with your language? It’s easy to do with written text. If I as a six-year Navy man can clean up my act in text, it can’t be that difficult. Furthermore, I suspect your objection stems in part from the recent issue in which you didn’t just use foul language; you went beyond that and called a member an obscene name.

I exercise more self control than you know. Swearing and obscenities (and absolutely vulgar and disgusting things) offend me about as much as bunnies do, it isn’t worth my time to care what type of language anyone uses.

Websites where people DO care use language filters, they are easy to add, cut down on workload for mods and remove ambiguity from the sites rules.

For instance, the rule, as far as I could find, is NOT no swearing at all, it is to keep swearing to a minimum.

To say you don’t want anyone to swear and to not want a language filter is absolutely hypocritical and it is virtually universal across the internet on sites that don’t approve of swearing, otherwise you end up with cases of “enforcement” against things that don’t even seem against the rules while other things that break the rules are just given the benefit of the doubt.

Language filters leave no doubt at all what is banned.

And it isn’t like I am asking someone else to do all of the work, I provided a passable (but not excellent) language filter function, although I am sure part of the forum framework is a language filter option.

Actually, it sounds like the actual rules point more towards “There is no need for a language filter because swearing is not banned”

[QUOTE=TheOperative]No gratuitous foul language, by this I mean F this F that in every other sentence. There are times when it is needed to stress a point.
Absolutely no sexually explicit language.[/QUOTE]
http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f2/mod-manual-4210/

and also

[QUOTE=TheOperative]I really don’t want this to become a filthy place, in any respect, but regarding foul language, I don’t have any filters placed, so I am trusting that members here will keep it to a minimum. However, I understand that on certain occasions foul language might be necessary to express certain emotion. Please keep this to a minimum, gratuitous foul language will not be tolerated. No sexual foul language allowed.
[/QUOTE]

http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f2/foul-language-these-forums-268/

So basically, no f bombs or over the top strings of obscenities as would be seen on south park, but if you want to express a large amount of negative emotion occasionally, it would be well with the forum rules.

If these aren’t the rules, and it is never okay to ever use any type of obscenity (or in some cases, not use any obscenity), then there should be a language filter.

Because then, Fantacy Chaser and Seravee wouldn’t be able to play Kindergarden Hall Moniter, ‘reporting’ every chance they got - on posters whom they don’t much like because I’ve seen PLENTY of ‘s’ words and ‘h’ words in threads where they’ve posted, but, for some reason doesn’t offend them near so much. :rolleyes:
Lawsy, how The Operative must wish the function “report this post” did not exist. I pity the poor guy.
What’s so funny is that I’ve been on boards where people cuss continuously - for better than FIFTEEN YEARS! - but NEVER cussed myself, until I came to THIS board. But as soon as I said - (cover your ears here), “shit”, I was ‘reported’, and so was another poster for pointing out what an imbecile the ‘reporter’s’ actions were. :rolleyes:
POOR Operative! :biggrin:

First of all, that Kindergarten Hall Monitor crack is hyperbole. I don’t report every chance I get, although I admit that I’m quicker to do so with someone I don’t like. Otherwise, I’m more likely to ask them to watch their language. In GT7’s case, Mom (Susanna) and I had warned him repeatedly before I reported him the first time, and as I recall, he used the P-word that refers to female anatomy that time.

I don’t report anyone for the S-word. I used to use it fairly freely, but TO asked me to stop using a graphic that included the BS word, so I stopped using it outright. Mostly I haven’t recently used it even edited, and I doubt that I will at all.

Hey GT7, let’s talk about what you quoted from TO’s rules. You were quick to emphasize the aspects that favored your position. Now let’s take a look at the rest. First of all, he wrote this before I joined over four years ago. It was only a couple years ago that he asked me not to use that BS graphic. Now note the bolded part.

However, I understand that on certain occasions foul language might be necessary to express certain emotion. Please keep this to a minimum, gratuitous foul language will not be tolerated. No sexual foul language allowed.

Also note the last line. When you used the above-mentioned P-word and I called you on it, you went through your ridiculous accusation of whining about it. Your motivations were purely selfish. I believe them to be so now. Mine are not.

And you lie through your teeth when you say you didn’t call anyone any obscene names. That’s the one I most recently reported you for, you know it, and the mods know that you know it.

Ok drama queen you done yet.:dramaqueen: I do not report post. I merely warn member of their language when it is used in a way not specified in the rules. There have been times when I have seen you, Sam, RET and others that I dislike cuss but do not report it becasue it was used reasonable expression a certain emotion. Your last little slip was not in that was. It was merely used to insult. So I warned you I did not report it. I treat everyone equally in these regards on this board but your selective viewing keeps you from understand even that.

But hey by all means if you don’t want to follow the rules please continue. I could care less if you got banned. have a nice day drama queen.

[quote=“Seravee, post:11, topic:28586”]
Ok drama queen you done yet.:dramaqueen: I do not report post. I merely warn member of their language when it is used in a way not specified in the rules. There have been times when I have seen you, Sam, RET and others that I dislike cuss but do not report it becasue it was used reasonable expression a certain emotion. Your last little slip was not in that was. It was merely used to insult. So I warned you I did not report it. I treat everyone equally in these regards on this board but your selective viewing keeps you from understand even that.

But hey by all means if you don’t want to follow the rules please continue. I could care less if you got banned. have a nice day drama queen.
[/quote]Funny I do not remember using cuss words but I do not have your memory that makes up stuff.

BTW talking about drama queens you exhibit yourself.

Its ok Sam if you don’t remember your old so I will let it pass. =)

There should not be, otherwise the fun police would not have any fun.

And you lie through your teeth when you say you didn’t call anyone any obscene names. That’s the one I most recently reported you for, you know it, and the mods know that you know it.

I don’t recall using any words referring to female parts any time recently or receiving any warnings about using that word any time recently .

First of all, that Kindergarten Hall Monitor crack is hyperbole. I don’t report every chance I get, although I admit that I’m quicker to do so with someone I don’t like. Otherwise, I’m more likely to ask them to watch their language. In GT7’s case, Mom (Susanna) and I had warned him repeatedly before I reported him the first time,

You “warned me repeatedly” long long ago and I rarely if ever post any obscenities on this forum.

You reported me for typing three asterisks in a row the last time, I have no idea what you are talking about with the “p-word”, although it is unlikely my mental filter would even catch it or take second thought of it… at any rate, I have not been warned for using it before.

Offense to asterisks and ambiguity over which words are actually considered obscene are all the more reason to have a language filter.

In fact, that is likely why the relatively simple code to right a language filter was made to begin with.

I merely warn member of their language when it is used in a way not specified in the rules.

Actually, unless there are more language rules than I posted, I don’t think the majority of posts people complain about language on are actually breaking the rules.

I have learned some things that have lead me to believe that my original code is very bad PHP code, although it would still be efficient since the banned word list would be relatively small.

#The original algorithm is O(n^2), this one should be O(nlogn) because arrays in PHP are implemented as ordered maps 
#assuming the post text is just a string, it is very likely an object or something.
function FilterBlockedNames($postString) 
{
   $stringWords = explode(" ", $postString);
   foreach($stringWords as &$wordToCheck)
   {
           if(in_array($wordToCheck, $naughtyWordsArray)
           { 
                $wordToCheck = "bunnies!";
           }
   }
   #this returns an array that is totally corrected, it'd have to be applied to the 
   #actual post text. 
   return $stringWords;
}

Remember when you insulted OSUphantom?

Nope, and I don’t really care.

The topic of this thread isn’t about who I have insulted, I have probably offended every single person who has ever read one of my posts and I have rarely used obscenities to do so.

As I have said before, there are many many benefits to a language filter.

Hardly anyone is offended by bunnies, for instance. Just make all obscenities into the word bunnies.

You never offended me, and I kinda like your libertarian posts.

One thing I like about this forum is that the Mods run a tight enough ship that all subjects get discussed with a decent level of intellectual depth. Those that can find no better word choices than curse words don’t last very long around here.

If we had some script that would allow the brain dead with nothing to offer the opportunity to spew profanity without concern then our threads would end up void of any serious discussion and just filled with “bunnies”.

No thanks, the most offensive part of a poster with no respect is their lack of an intelligent offering to the subject. There are plenty of forums out there that embrace posters with that IQ level and far too few that work to establish a place like this one.

I like RO just the way it is.